Payless ShoeSource Reviews in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Paul Jones

Pros
Cons
  • Minimum wage for back breaking labor (in 72 reviews)

• Upper management makes bad financial decisions and people who really do the work pay for it (in 69 reviews)

1. "Not as bad as people say"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource part-time (More than a year)

Pros

30% discount
    Coupons
    Payless bucks (25%off) - can use 2 in same transaction. Get when store does 4x4 in sales.
    You get hours off and on switched weeks to let other employees get some too.
    Overall I love working for this company. Friendly associate's. Friendly customers (sometimes) starting pay is based on your experience. $8.00 if you've never worked cashier. 8.25 if you have some cashier's work under your belt. Yearly raise if your proformance is great.
    Sunday's we close at 6 open at noon.

Cons

Long hours (work over 6 hours get a hour break) that's good.
    Feels like your never home of you have a family. (But you get over it after you have 2 days off in a row)
    When a customer comes in to look for a long time and for you to hold some shoes and you find out she stole 3 pairs of flippy flops chase her down to get them back, file a report. It's messy. We have people like that. Nothing else is really bad. I mean I hate tagging bc people have there kids run by ripping the taggs off. But other than that it's a great business

Advice to Management

Nothing.

"Terrible Shady Company"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pearland, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pearland, TX

I worked at Payless ShoeSource part-time

Pros

Working with costumers and making them happy can bring you a lot of pride and joy. Simple tasks but you will need to work fast - which can be fun.

Manager was understanding of my family and school circumstances so she was awesome in working my hours around my schedule.

Cons

Shady company! Be warned. I'm glad that they're going bankrupt.

Basically money donated to charity is tax deductible so they will FORCE you, as an employee that get paid less than $9 an hour, to shell out part of your next hard earned paycheck to a charity.

Not sure if it's actually "optional" because when I asked my assistant manager if I could opt out she said that I had to donate. "You have to."

If they really had good intentions when it came to giving back to charities they would have donated out of their own pockets instead of making their wage slaves take out from their own pockets. Shame on you Payless!

People looking for employment need to STAY AWAY. Manager was absent for a brief period so inconsiderate assistant manager took over.

Assistant manager never said thank-you or please or anything polite because she went on a little power trip. She even demanded that part-timers had to go out and buy office supplies like hand sanitizers for the store because corporate wouldn't supply them and forbade you to use them if you couldn't afford to shell out money to buy them. I am a college student on a tight budget that pay for my food and gas with my small weekly Payless paycheck. I understand my position in the business while I was working there, but there was a huge lack of common courtesy from her.

I was rushed to complete tasks in three hours that another employee had all day to finished. I would finish but there were some workers there that usually do not even when they were given more time. If the other did not finish they would not be reprimanded because they had seniority which seems a little backward.

They waited until I came in to work to empty out the trash because I was their designated trash lady. If I was only there for one day that week they will wait the 6 days. This means there would be a mountain of trash bags and loose trash, and over 50 pounds worth of cardboard box for a small girl to lug out at a secluded location behind the mall at nighttime. This shows that the store does not care about the safety of their workers at all.

Expect to work for more than a year to get that low raise.

One lazy co-worker who took hours to do something that required only one hour which caused everyone else who worked with her to stay hours after closing time. I was late to my own birthday party because I had to work with her that night. I don't think she was ever reprimanded because of seniority and favoritism.

Advice to Management

Understand that if you are going to cut your employees' hours to save your own then do not request employees to bring you lunch or buy things for the stores. That's overstepping.

3. "NOT GOOD"

Former Employee - Key Holder in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Houston, TX

I worked at Payless ShoeSource part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros here

Cons

They make you do more work and never raise your pay.

5. "Good enviroment"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Houston, TX

I worked at Payless ShoeSource (Less than a year)

Pros

My team was awesome to work with. We all put in an equal amount of effort to make sales goals each day and help customers with their issues.

Cons

nothing bad about the company itself. Customers were really rude time to time but, that's something that I could handle.

6. "Good job but no place for growth"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder in Houston, TX

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Flexible scheduling
    -great for students
    -first job position
    -depending on your manager and district manager the environment is comfortable and motivating.

Cons

There is no growth and you will never see a raise unless you threaten to quit. I have worked for this company for over 6 years and have only increased in pay by $1.20. I work hard to meet my weekly and yearly quotas and the district manager continues to only ask for more. It is a great job to start from but unless you are in a corporate position you will not be able to survive off this job alone.

Advice to Management

Recognize and treat your employees better especially those that have been there for years and their performance is good.

"Would not recommend anyone to work here"

Current Employee - Key Carrier in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Key Carrier in Houston, TX

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are really nice and easy to get along with. Manager is flexible with my schedule since I also go to school. You also have the opportunity to meet nice and friendly people (customers).

Cons

Payless expects so much from associates who they are paying nearly minimum wage. They expect you to squeeze as much money as you can from the customers, who are in the lower class of the society. The customers come in looking for cheap shoes for a one time occasion, but they are faced with shoes that are $30+ which leads them to not buying anything. Still we are looked down on for not making these customers buy anything. Manager does not want to work weekends and works as little as she can and while she is working, she does nothing but stay in the back on her cell phone making personal calls. Management is also very picky about who they interview. In my store the manager only interviews those who speak Spanish, or have a hispanic last name. Payless as a company expects too much from their associates (at least for the pay they are offering) and this leads to a lot of associates leaving before working for a month. Many associates come and go. Few stay.

Advice to Management

My advice to the management is, if you don't like working on weekends, and you don't like your job, then find another job because you're just making everyone else's job harder.

8. "Group Leader"

Former Employee - District Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - District Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Position is very structured, therefore you can get the visits done. However with so many stores you sacrifice quality for quantity

Cons

Too much in the whirlwind, they over complicate selling shoes.

Advice to Management

You sell shoes. Get rid of tracking, clicking, measuring, stressing about selling actions to concentrate on just selling

9. "Love buying and selling shoes and meeting interesting people that love shoes too."

Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Payless ShoeSource part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employee discount, fast pace, Payless bucks issued to employees that exceed in sales, flexible schedule, comradery among coworkers, learned a great deal about customer service

Cons

Low pay and pay raises are limited. Tedious work and ridiculous gimics to encourage employees to make goals. High turnover due to mismanagement.

Advice to Management

Consistency is key along with competitive pay

10. "the company is great"

Former Employee - Key Carrier in Galveston, TX
    Former Employee - Key Carrier in Galveston, TX

I worked at Payless ShoeSource part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gain customer service experience, you can move up within the company.

Cons

Manager I worked with didn't do her job 80% of the time and a lot of favoritism in that specific store.

Advice to Management

Do your job.

11. "Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Channelview, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Channelview, TX

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I like my job and my associates.

Cons

I don't feel appreciated with everything i do and for such little pay

Advice to Management

Would be nice for her to help out as a TEAM

Showing 21 of 1,391 reviews