Payless ShoeSource Reviews | Glassdoor

1,389 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,389 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Minimum wage for back breaking labor (in 72 reviews)

• Upper management makes bad financial decisions and people who really do the work pay for it (in 69 reviews)

1. "pretty good"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource full-time

Pros

I really love going to work each day in general. In the store, your team is pretty much a family. The discount is pretty good you have oppurtunities to get a larger percentage with hard work.

Cons

I am located in Kansas which is where Payless originated so the presence of corporate workers is stifling. They think that they are the end all be all to the company when in reality they just sit behind a desk. They are very stingy with raises and promotions. They claim to want to promote from within so theyll build you up till they get you to the production level they want you to be at then surprise! New boss.

Advice to Management

Stay true to your words, Be sure that you keep your employees satisfied or you would not have such a high turnover.

2. "NOT GOOD"

Former Employee - Key Holder in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Houston, TX

I worked at Payless ShoeSource part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros here

Cons

They make you do more work and never raise your pay.

3. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Payless ShoeSource part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was lucky enough to have a great team. The hours were flexible, which I appreciated as a full time student.

Cons

There is constant turnaround to the point where you do not know who will be working with you from week to week. Upper management has zero grasp on what is happening in the stores. Employee concerns were frequently ignored.

Advice to Management

Improve upper management, and try to do something about the high turnover rate. They really need to listen to their employees and their concerns.

5. "Supervisor"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Topeka, KS
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Topeka, KS

I worked at Payless ShoeSource full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Good people.

Cons

Salaries are generally below market. Located in Topeka.

6. "Good enviroment"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Houston, TX

I worked at Payless ShoeSource (Less than a year)

Pros

My team was awesome to work with. We all put in an equal amount of effort to make sales goals each day and help customers with their issues.

Cons

nothing bad about the company itself. Customers were really rude time to time but, that's something that I could handle.

7. "Good job but no place for growth"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder in Houston, TX

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Flexible scheduling
    -great for students
    -first job position
    -depending on your manager and district manager the environment is comfortable and motivating.

Cons

There is no growth and you will never see a raise unless you threaten to quit. I have worked for this company for over 6 years and have only increased in pay by $1.20. I work hard to meet my weekly and yearly quotas and the district manager continues to only ask for more. It is a great job to start from but unless you are in a corporate position you will not be able to survive off this job alone.

Advice to Management

Recognize and treat your employees better especially those that have been there for years and their performance is good.

8. "Store manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company ,dependable work ,good work environment ,clean and organized ,good pay ,room for advancement

Cons

Not enough payroll for work load,

9. "Reward the 1%"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Topeka, KS
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Topeka, KS

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are awesome. The people really want the company to succeed. Employees try to do the right thing while upper management continually changes direction requiring rework or extra work for the change. Cafeteria is pretty cool.

Cons

Excuses for lagging revenue straight from the Brownback / Kansas playbook. "All of retail is suffering. The warm weather has effected sales." They also march to the mantra of rewarding the 1%. They recently announcement no 401K match (although that was one of the perks that I was told we received when hired), no raises this year and no bonuses ever again...unless you are management or above. Because, apparently the decisions they have made over the years had no bearing on the poor performance.

Advice to Management

Take part in the pain with the rest of the employees. QUIT making excuses about the marketplace and evolve. Bulk up your ecommerce. Quit going cheap when you work with vendors (i.e. you get what you pay for). Make sound decisions instead of going with the flavor of the month and then forcing it to work. If you do make a mistake, own it, change it, move on. Probably too late, people are brushing up their resumes. The exodus will begin soon.

"Key holder"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder in Austin, TX

Pros

Great environment to work in as long as you have a good manager running your store. It truly makes a difference!

Cons

Conference calls. Nearly every day. Takes a lot of time out from tasking and working with customers.

11. "I enjoy my job. :)"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great discount, great training, encourages friendly competition, sales incentive, company always keeps you up to date with company news/changes.

Cons

None so far! I've been with the company about 2.5 months.

Advice to Management

I've never met any upper management, but we were going thru a DM change until recently.

Showing 1,389 of 1,397 reviews