Payless ShoeSource Sales Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Paul Jones

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Minimum wage for back breaking labor (in 75 reviews)

• Upper management makes bad financial decisions and people who really do the work pay for it (in 72 reviews)

1. "No growth unless low on staff"

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Payless ShoeSource (More than a year)

Pros

Great customers, great product, coworkers became like family

Cons

Manager sat around and did nothing with little training and expected everything to be spotless and goals to be met.

Advice to Management

Train management better.

2. "Okay for a first time job"

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource part-time

Pros

This wasn't my first job but it's great for people who are looking for retail experience because they're basically always hiring because of the high turnover rate. Some of the pros would be: hour long breaks, above minimum wage, & friendly coworkers. The only reason it was so hard for me to leave was because of my coworkers! I wish I could take them with me to my new job lol

Cons

There's so many cons with this job I don't even know where to begin with. First of all, my manager blatantly disrespected me and called me a name but when I reported it to corporate, they basically wanted to know what was the instance where my manager called me that name... as if there was an excuse for it. If you don't go and talk to the customers while they're shopping you get in trouble, if you don't meet your goals for the day, you get in trouble. They want you to hound customers and try to get them to buy as much as possible but customers don't like being bothered! My manager was constantly focusing on what we did wrong and never once congratulated us on the things we did right. I had the sixth highest conversion in the district (higher than my managers) and my manager never said anything... I had to hear about it from the assistant manager from another store. I could deal with the cheap customers who beg you for coupons and get mad when you don't have any, cleaning the store after people who bought nothing, and people staying 5 minutes after close, but I just couldn't deal with my manager.

Advice to Management

Just leave the company lmao

3. "Payless is too focused on accessories per transaction + units per transaction- not focused enough on the customers."

I worked at Payless ShoeSource part-time (More than a year)

Pros

30% employee discount. Flexible with schedule. Decent hours scheduled. Paid every week. Sweet, loyal customers. First pick of new inventory.

Cons

No individual recognition in pay raises. Everything is based off your store's progress- if your numbers are great for the year, but your store's numbers are lacking, you get told to pick up everyone else's slack.

Advice to Management

Focus more on your customers and their happiness. I understand that you have to monitor sales and units going out. That's business. However, your focus and priority SHOULD be the customer- not how many things they're buying in one transaction.

4. "NOT WORTH IT"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Elizabeth, NJ
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Elizabeth, NJ

I worked at Payless ShoeSource part-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. my co-workers were literally the best ever
    2. There are so many payless' that you can easily find one close to you and they are all in pretty convenient areas.

Cons

1. You are constantly being pounded by all management to make them look good, mostly because it is their career.
    2. Payless and the managers would rather you be antagonized and bullied by the customers than speak up for you.
    3. UPTS, DPTS, CONVERSION AND SMILES LIFTS... need I say more?
    4. You are basically running around the store hunting down customers and pressuring them to buy more than one item. Rather than them having their own independence in shopping and enjoying their time shopping.
    5. Stores with larger ammounts of traffic always have increased payroll, but it is up to your manager to identify who they want to give hours to. (my manager had a lot of payroll and would continue to save the money knowing that her employees NEEDED the hours. Causing only 2 of us each night to close a very popular million dollar store.)
    6. You are expected to care for a company who can drop you for someone cheaper at a drop of a hat. No matter how long you've been in the business or how hard you work for them.
    7. It's just stressful all together.
    8. District leaders and managers usually come around to change things which is normal, but it isn't always done in the most professional and respectful way.

Advice to Management

Make sure the managers are giving the payroll to the other workers because it is hard on them to do a good job understaffed and overworked.
    Look into more benefits for a part-timer.

5. "E-review"

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Super easy and a great place to work.

Cons

Nothing at all. It's a really nice business.

6. "Working at Payless"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Payless ShoeSource full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Easy to get a job there. I just walked into the store after seeing a sign saying they were hiring and I walked and talked to the manager and he told me to apply online and he would let me know when I would get drug tested.

Cons

- Low pay. I got paid minimum wage and had to work really hard to get more hours so I could at least make a decent amount

7. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Payless ShoeSource part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy job.
    I wanted to be a cashier but the only positions they have for retail stores are Sales Associates. So I was hired as that. I loved it when I was in the cashier because it was super easy. Almost no people get in the store, compared to a grocery place. The thing is that you have to sell stuff, so you literally have to chase customers that get into the store and asked them about what they want and all of that. Is not bad, but you have to be ready to interact with people. Then I had to stock and stuff like that. People were nice. And not a stressing kind of job. Is cool.

Cons

Although don't be expected to get paid very well, I was paid 11/hr. And like any other chain or retailer, they don't like giving you many hours. All they want is to overstaff so if someone quits, they are covered. they told me they don't hire for Full Time, only half time and it's rare they give you a lot of hours. Oh and since you are not a Full Time they dont have to give you any benefits.

Advice to Management

Stop overstaffing. Get good people and give them hours so they dont have to look for other jobs.

8. "Sales Associate (Part time)"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small stores so you are close with management (if you even get along) so you can easily make schedule changes
    Lunch break is usually 45mins-1hr
    It is a pretty basic job, focusing on customers
    Weekly pay
    Discount (30%)

Cons

Pay (it's very low)
    So much pressure to make sales and add on to the purchases it's not reasonable. Customers barely shop at Payless, the last thing they want is a sales associate shoving extra socks, or shoe care down their throats.
    Small store = store drama (although most of my experience was good, some associates couldn't be anymore nosy and annoying) it happens everywhere you go though.
    Hours! Expect one week 29 hours then the next 6.5 hours
    Payless is bankrupt! Job is unstable, no job security. I wouldn't work here because pretty soon you will be looking for another job since they are closing all their stores.
    Last but not least, their shoes are the lowest quality ever. Hurts to sell them because a customer should spend a bit more for brand name like Nike or Adidas or Steve Madden and pay for quality.

9. "Highly Location Dependent"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sandy, UT

I worked at Payless ShoeSource part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work is pretty basic for sales, but also not boring.
    Hours intended to be flexible.

Cons

Experience/environment highly dependent on location. First store I worked at was great. Second store I was transferred to was so toxic because of the manager that I quite two weeks later... turns out I was transferred there because her entire staff had quit the week before.

Advice to Management

Vet store managers better. I was transferred to a store where the manager was so awful, her full staff quit. I was transferred there along with another new person to fill in and we had both quit within two weeks of that as well. Went back a few months later as a customer and that manager was still working there; made no sense.

10. "Payless Review"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource part-time (More than a year)

Pros

30% employee discount
    Flexible scheduling
    Friendly work environment
    Relaxed work environment, most of the time

Cons

The SMILES system that measures your customer service skills is a good idea, but flawed
    Lots expected to be done in the store while balancing customer service during short shifts

Advice to Management

Fix the way the SMILES system measures UPTS (items per transactions), and Conversion (how many people walk through the door vs. transaction counts)