Paylocity Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 25, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
Cons
  • Sometimes Feels Like the Company is Growing Faster Than it Can Support (in 15 reviews)

• As with any growing company, there are some smaller growing pains such as tightening of processes or even new procedures that can alter your workflow (in 26 reviews)

"The weirdest place I've worked"

Former Employee - Sales & Marketing in Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Sales & Marketing in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at Paylocity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Ageism is not really a thing here. You don't have to have 20 years experience to even be considered for a manager title.
    -Lots of cute perks like a Caribou Coffee machine with cappuccinos, ping pong table, video games
    -Modern technology so you aren't in the Stone Age
    -Lots of millennials (like seriously, it's ALL millennials) so you'll get that community/family vibe that millennials love so much.
    -Most departments have a generous WFH policy
    -Because management is so young, they are flexible and impressionable, so you have an opportunity to make a difference
    -Great job stability

Cons

-Health insurance premiums are high
    -6 holiday vacation days (no Christmas Eve)...literally the worst out of any places I've worked in all of corporate America
    -No paid maternity or paternity leave. None at all. For a company that likes to pretend it's progressive, this is a slap in the face
    -Very little diversity.
    -No work life balance. Don't ever plan on leaving at 5.
    -Sales and Marketing is a weird dictatorship and boys club. Don't come in with new ideas or they'll all act like you are trying to take their job. No organization...for a company that is public and somehow ranked as this fabulous place to work, they are absolutely set up like a start up (not in a good way). Also, get ready to party your face off, or else you might not fit in. If you have a family to go home to at 5, you will not fit in. And that awesome WFH thing that the rest of the company loves so much doesn't apply to this department.

Advice to Management

Stop spending so much money on fluffy stuff (over-the-top sales meetings, free pizza, quirky lunchroom chairs, chotchkies) and spend a little more on benefits. Actually take care of your employees. Because when all those millennials grow up, get married and have kids, they will leave and find a place with better health insurance, better paid leave, better work life balance, and less partying/more professionalism.

Mar 31, 2017 – Senior Manager Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are committed to creating a fun, transparent, and collaborative environment for every employee, so I am disappointed to hear about ... More

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Lake Mary, FL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Lake Mary, FL

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Early stages of the company, fast moving and good benefits. Full medical, dental, 401K, ESPP. They allow you to work OT which is nice.

Cons

Very low pay for the amount of responsibility and pressure. They care little about your workload and how you can not deliver to your clients. There are a lot of moving parts in the company and you have to wear many hats as an account manager. If you can get in with Paylocity, don't go into Client Services or Account Management. Try to get some sort of support job.

Advice to Management

Compensate your employees for the amount of work that they do, or if you continue to hire employees at $15 per hour, make sure the amount of work reflects the pay. Hire more people.

3. "Implementation Consultant III"

Former Employee - Implementation Consultant III in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Implementation Consultant III in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Paylocity (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home, fun semi-annual conferences

Cons

This company will work you to death. You will work 70+ hours a week.

Advice to Management

Hire more staff so you don't lose all of your employees from pure burn out.

Nov 5, 2015 – Director of Marketing

We are sorry that Paylocity did not end up being your long term employer, but wish you all the best in your future career endeavors.

4. "Hectic and Chaotic"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Arlington Heights, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Arlington Heights, IL

I have been working at Paylocity full-time

Pros

The people who work here are great for the most part. I have a great manager, but a few of the other managers can be quite difficult to deal with and put their own quotas above their employees. The benefits are great, but vacation days are pretty worthless if you don't feel like you can use them due to the workload you come back to. The atmosphere from a work culture point of view is great, but the team leads and managers are overworked and they can make you feel like you can't ask questions.

Cons

If you've worked in a call center atmosphere before then you know what to expect. You're pretty much chained to your desk because of the phone queue software monitoring your every move. You can move up very quickly within the company, but be ready to make this your life if you want to do so. They really need to work on providing constant help in the help chats that the Account Managers use because the team leads or managers who are helping are constantly taken away for some client escalation and you're left hanging there with a client on the phone who needs an answer.

Advice to Management

There needs to be a major upheaval done on how things are accomplished. Account Managers are held to impossible quality standards while not given the support they need. There's so much that is so great with this company, but it's being overshadowed by a few crappy managers and a lack of help for the Account Managers.

"Do NOT work here if you are a college graduate!"

Former Employee - National Sales Support in Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Employee - National Sales Support in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at Paylocity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits and "Laid Back" Culture

Cons

Where do I start? 1. Recruitment lied from day 1, promising growth and job opportunities within 12-18 months. Turns out you only qualify for an INTERVIEW and sucks to be you if your too good in your department because they will keep you there and not promote you. 2. They dangle "rewards" in your face and either take them away or punish you for actually accepting it. (ex: leaving early: if quota was met, you make it, you leave, you get to hear about how everyone who made it and still stayed are SUCH great employees) 3. Work/Life Balance SUCKS- mentally and psychically stresses you out about constantly having to make quota. 4. Changes their policies- was hired and began working 8-4:30- they decided to then change it to 5, which does not seem like that big of a deal but when under the impression of working until 4:30 it makes a big difference in the commute/traffic. OVERALL- If you are a college graduate do not even bother applying here, you ARE a telemarketer and the turnover rate is extremely high (at least 6 people have left in NSS within 3 months so far). You can find a much better job with higher pay, straightforward demands, REAL opportunity for growth and experience within your field. Trust me.

Advice to Management

Look into what your recruiters are telling potential applicants- from my own experience and others, if we would have known what the REAL conditions were like I, as well as others would have never wasted my/our time for this job position. There is a reason why your turnover rate is extremely high in the NSS Department- STOP HIRING OVER QUALIFIED PEOPLE FOR UNQUALIFIED JOBS AND PAY.

Aug 28, 2014 – Director of Sales and National Sales Support

Paylocity truly values our employees and their feedback, and work tirelessly to improve our employee experiences. It is disappointing to see such a negative response. National Sales Support is an ... More

6. "Great Payroll Software"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Mary, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Mary, FL

I worked at Paylocity full-time

Pros

Relaxed work environment - no shirt & tie!

Cons

Very little support once training is completed.

Advice to Management

Transfer some Chicago management to the Lake Mary office. The culture in Florida is lacking what appears to be at headquarters.

7. "Updated Review"

I have been working at Paylocity full-time

Pros

*Free fruit, nuts, and coffee
    *If you choose the High Deductible PPO, they do give you money towards your HSA

Cons

*No Maternity/Paternity Leave
    *No clear guidelines on career advancement; what areas can we move into, what is a lateral move vs a promotion?
    *Extreme amounts of OT - no work life balance
    *Working from home is nearly impossible for some departments, unless it's for the extreme amount of OT
    *Christmas bonuses are hit or miss ($0-$100)
    *Spouses/children are not allowed at company events (and these always take place during the week)
    *Between black out periods and conferences, it's hard to plan vacations/time off
    *HMO is no longer an option
    *Communication across departments is a struggle

Advice to Management

Please consider all of the above and spend more time with the employees, instead of behind a closed door.

"Not worth applying"

I have been working at Paylocity full-time

Pros

Flexible management and hours. Relaxed atmosphere

Cons

Not enough growth, pay is low for job being done

Advice to Management

None

Jun 5, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am sorry to hear that you have not had a great experience. We have worked hard to create a company where people are valued and feel empowered to ... More

"Not everything they say it is."

I have been working at Paylocity full-time

Pros

Competitive pay, decent benefits, helpful co-workers for the most part.

Cons

Lies you are told:
    Work life balance
    We treat you like adults.

Popularity contest/politics for promotions.

Some incredibly immature, unprofessional managers.

Micromanagement

Nearsighted/close minded managers

Inconsistent schedule - prevents work life balance. I honestly don't see how the WLB would be better here than any other office job, although tjey preach it. In fact anyplace with a steady schedule would be better in this respect.

Unrealistic expectations with given training.

Very unclear instructions for day to day tasks which causes inevitable mess ups that employees get blamed for.

Advice to Management

Rotating shifts do not equal work life balance.

The 20 minute promotional speech from recruiters is a bit off putting.

Mar 31, 2017 – Senior Manager Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am really sorry that your experience at Paylocity has not matched our intention of being the best place to work. We are taking your feedback ... More

"Account Manager needs improved definition"

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Paylocity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Company is growing -- management claims that internal upward mobility is achievable after one year
    - Mon-Fri office schedule, no late nights or weekends
    - Casual office environment, no ties
    - Occasional catered lunches (on "red" days when reps are asked to take shorter lunch breaks, kind of a con)

Cons

- Pay is not commensurate to workload (call volume, responsibilities, etc.)
    - Lots of downward pressure to answer questions without referring clients to appropriate departments
    - Training is not comprehensive, puts reps in awkward positions when questions arise
    - Blackout periods for PTO throughout holiday season -- you can get the day after Xmas or the day after Thanksgiving, but not both
    - Hiring/compensation is spotty, lots of turnover which results in more work for those who stay
    - Bad morale is not improved by corporate half-attempts at tech-industry perks (e.g. ice cream cart going around while reps are slammed on the phones)
    - Client Services are not compensated or valued as well as other departments, even though AM role has pretty extreme time and emotional demands

Advice to Management

Figure out whether you're running a call center (do away with "assigned clients" and clearly define the scope of services) or real account management (bring the number of clients per rep down and provide comprehensive training) -- right now management is trying to do both, and the result is an impossible workload that riles up clients and burns out reps. My recommendations would be to: reign in the salespeople and slow down growth; cut the number of assigned clients per AM; and clearly define the role of Client Services so that AMs are empowered to say "no" to customer demands outside the role of software support. Maybe open up a client-facing tax specialist department.

I've heard rave reviews from other departments within Paylocity, and I'm sure that the company is a great opportunity for engineers, admin, and salespeople; however, it seems to be generally acknowledged that Client Services is a terrible job that must be endured if you want a promotion out of it (hardly guaranteed at that), and reorganization of Operations seems pretty vaguely scheduled. If it paid better, maybe I would've stuck it out, but I'm happy I left.