Paylocity Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.4

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Sometimes Feels Like the Company is Growing Faster Than it Can Support (in 16 reviews)

• As with any growing company, there are some smaller growing pains such as tightening of processes or even new procedures that can alter your workflow (in 26 reviews)

"Many work opportunities, great work especially in the Software Development department"

Current Employee - Software Architect in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL
    Current Employee - Software Architect in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL

Pros

I like working at Paylocity because of so many opportunities to make an impact and help the organization accomplish more things. In many ways there is a startup feel to the company that is contagious. The company is driven because of being a much smaller company than other major payroll competitors. The growth is going very well, year over year.

The compensation in my experience has been very good and the benefits have been too. Lately the company has been providing a lot of company-wide lunches. It is very easy to find pizza or leftover catered food in the kitchens on most days. They do try to do special events during year end (the busiest time for most of the payroll people) and this has been nice. They try to have a Weight Watchers at Work time and other programs as well.

A good number of the employees are completely remote and developers do get to work from home 2 days a week. During big releases everyone works in the office but this is usually just for a few weeks. Casual dress for development employees.

Cons

Recruiting seems to be struggling. I think the company needs to invest real money to get better candidates. Turnover seems to be moderate but I do worry it will grow as the economy improves.

I think employee morale at least in the development department is low. There is not enough training happening in the department and people's skills atrophy. The company should pay for more people to go to professional conferences or at least online subscriptions for training purposes.

The company has grown a lot over the past couple of years and there are definitely growing pains that show up from time to time. Sometimes the management is thinking very short-term rather than creating policies and sticking to them. Occasionally I sigh and remind myself that the company is still growing up. Some upper management are deeply involved in low-level technical decisions which can be good and bad. The company needs more big picture people.

One area that could be improved is the feedback mechanisms. Feedback for employees is based on a recognition program but it lacks purpose. The recognition does not have any real sense of accomplishment. There are 360 type evaluations but I still think the feedback is not structured outside of the 360 evaluations.

Advice to Management

Thanks for the quarterly meetings, I hope these stay personal. I like the holiday parties from the last 2 years but I think you should really invite spouses and families to this. Also, take the company to a better venue, the lobby of the building is being really cheap.

Keep your originality and creativeness but take on the bigger picture and build unity in each department with department-wide meetings. When everyone has a better vision of their part of the team I think we could be stronger together. Some people feel like just cogs of the machine but we could have a much better team experience and work better together.

We need to be thinking like a larger company and be getting over some of our growing pains. Things like recruiting that are not working well need to take a whole new approach. We also desparately need some streamlining of processes and better issue/process management tools. So overall we need to optimize our efficiencies and get past some of our weaker ways of doing things that have just continued for so many years.

"Top Notch Talent and Leadership!"

Current Employee - Senior District Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Senior District Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pros – Paylocity is a company comprised of the best talent in the industry. It's a creative, collaborative environment that respects the ideas and opinions of not only their employees but also their clients. The leadership team is innovative, passionate and hardworking which resonates on a collective level.

Cons

Cons - It's not easy to be considered for the company they’re very selective and only choose top-notch talent.

Advice to Management

Advise – Continue to take pride in being different. What makes Paylocity great is that we DON’T operate like all the others in the industry.

"My time at Paylocity has been filled with learning, challenge, and growth."

Current Employee - Tax Department in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL
    Current Employee - Tax Department in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growing, thriving company
    Ripe with opportunity in every department
    Friendly, supportive environment
    Use of technology allows for flexible work schedule
    Casual dress code
    Leading edge software capabilities
    Benefit package

Cons

Not the place for someone looking for a routine and static environment. Fast paced growth and changing software capabilities require much adaptability and flexibility.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your employees whose ideas and challenges come from dedication and hard work every day.

"Best job I've had in decades of Software Development, and I've worked with some great companies"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The employees are all very passionate about making great software that helps people do their jobs, and everyone on the team can contribute in their own way and can make a difference without the usual office politics getting in the way. By design they are early adopters of the latest and greatest technology, so you are always getting the opportunity to learn new things. When there are issues, everyone rallies around to figure out the best way to proceed rather than who to blame so they foster an environment where you can truly innovate without worrying if taking a chance will cost me my job. Best of all, employees are treated like professionals and they have a liberal work-at-home policy that allows for a much better work/life balance than I've ever seen before.

The company has always been growing fast, so there are always new job opportunities opening up as well as new products to work on. Despite the growth, the executive management team has done a great job managing that growth, communicating their plans regularly to all employees including new hires, and making sure that chaos doesn't ensue and making sure that the entire organization scales so 1 group is not disproportionately burdened by the rapid growth. And they've somehow been able to maintain the casual environment and dress code that everyone appreciates the first day they walk into the office -- which is why they keep winning awards for hiring the best and brightest in the Chicagoland area and being one of the best places to work in Illinois along with being one of the biggest creators of new jobs in Illinois.

Cons

Although fast growth means more opportunities and challenges, not everyone enjoys the pace or the fact that the company dynamics change as you start opening remote offices, so if you're not up to being constantly challenged and stimulated in your job this may not be the best environment

Advice to Management

Paylocity has seemed to be immune from the effects of recession and always been able to grow through the best of times and the worst of times, partly because they were very proactive before the recession hit, so they've never really experienced layoffs of any kind. So it's easy to let your guard down and think this will always continue, but unfortunately I've seen a few of my prior employers flounder because they got too overly ambitious after years of steady growth and got away from what made them successful. Everyone wants to keep a good thing going at Paylocity, so please continue to work as hard as you currently do at preserving the company culture, and keeping happy customers and happy employees, and continue to be conservative in managing the growth, and not make too many business plans that require a 30% or more growth rate to sustain the business.

"Tons of advancement in a growing company"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've never been worked in a company that actually took feedback on the product, procedures, or policies seriously (which is a MAJOR departure from other companies in the industry). This company is going places, and their client growth is evidence of that.

Cons

They are not shy of trying new things so if you like settling into a routine and don't like keeping up with changes in technology, this might not be the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep growing the service and support teams with good people.

"An amazing experience to be part of a rapidly growing company"

Current Employee - Client Service Specialist in Lake Mary, FL
    Current Employee - Client Service Specialist in Lake Mary, FL

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They value you as an employee. I am a current employee hired on during Year-End and anyone has has ever worked with Payroll would know how "demanding" it can be during that time of the year.

Cons

Since it is a new company there are very few seasoned veteran employees. But of those few they are willing to help any way possible.

Advice to Management

Stay approachable. Stay as reasonable as possible. Love the open door policy.

"Still there"

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Casual work environment, latest technolgy, software as a service company, high client retention

Cons

Not all departments grow at the same rate as client base which causes high stress during typical higher volume months.

"Great experience so far in a growth company!"

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great people
    -Great work environment
    - Flexibility
    -opportunities to move up the ranks
    -Still a fairly new business so many chances are taking place which one has a chance to be a part of.
    -A pretty decent business plan which is set up

Cons

-Benefits could be a tad bit better, but they are pretty good so far

9. "Great company!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Arlington Heights, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Arlington Heights, IL

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growing company, training provided, opportunity for advancement

Cons

Staffing growth not in line with growth of company.

Advice to Management

Review staffing needs on a more regular basis to help maintain the same level of service we are known for. If we are above projections, staff above projections. This will help us maintain the work life balance we strive for as well.

10. "I Totally Love Working Here!!"

Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Arlington Heights, IL
    Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Arlington Heights, IL

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

brilliant executive leadership. embraces technology, payroll/hr technology, work from home, advance technology, flexible work schedule, executive management values employees, open communication, constant growth, high client retention, hires the best and brightest in the industry, invest in their employees, offers unlimited advancement opportunities

Cons

If you're not up to being constantly challenged and stimulated in your job this may not be the company for you. Overachievers need only apply!

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on staffing needs to ensure the client experience remains top notch and to provide a work/life balance for employees.