Paylocity Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.4

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Sometimes Feels Like the Company is Growing Faster Than it Can Support (in 15 reviews)

• As with any growing company, there are some smaller growing pains such as tightening of processes or even new procedures that can alter your workflow (in 26 reviews)

"Great Pay, Decent Software, Poor Internal Practices"

Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Lake Mary, FL
    Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Lake Mary, FL

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is decent if you are a Client Service Representative you will start out at $14.00 and if you are an Account Manager you will make $16.00.

The benefits are good in their Arlington Heights location, but their Florida location only gets to choose a PPO plan versus getting a really good HMO plan.

The supply catered lunch during the busiest time of the year.

Cons

Their management is not very diverse.

The company has a poor internal escalation system. Everything gets escalated without a filter of importance.

Some of the companies hire unqualified payroll specialist, and they will call you daily to request help on how to do their job.

Management has a under the table policy, which means get it done regardless of HOW it gets done.

Management has an NPS scoring for their clients that ask their clients one question, and that score directly affects the Client Service Representative, and the question only talks about the company.

Management makes you feel as if your real job in the company is to be the scapegoat for BUGS in their product.

Advice to Management

Hire management with a willingness to learn the software and troubleshooting.

Do not risk the integrity of the company to make yourself look good in from of the top executives of the company.

Do not have show obvious favoritism to one person because it changes the overall morale of people nearby.

"worst customer service job I have ever had"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at Paylocity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good health care benefits. Health insurance was available the next month after I started. Didn't have to wait long.

Cons

6 week customer service training seemed like it would cover it all, however when we got to the floor, it was as though we had no training. Team lead was unaccommodating, played favorites. You had to make an appointment with the team lead to get help. They encouraged the use of IM chat to ask other coworkers for help. Then what's the use of the team lead? Very frustrating when you have a customer on the line and need an answer.

The job was supposed to be customer service for a payroll company. In reality, it was more accounting based than anything else. Customers would call with questions that were more suited for their tax lawyers or accountants. But when you are new, you don't know that these are questions that you cannot answer. Very stressful environment. I would leave exhausted every day.

The manager was always in meetings, never around. It was over one month before I had my first sit down meeting with my manager. She told me I was doing a great job! How would she even know when she was never around. The standard spiel was that "it gets better around the 6 month mark, and then it is almost like magic, you know so much." I was not about to stick around to find out. I got out after 4 months, that is only 2 months on the floor, the rest was in training.

The VP of the department wanted everything his way. Did not listen to employee input for possibly bettering the culture and work environment.

Lots of unhappy employees who can't afford to leave because they can't find other jobs. I was so happy to quit. I would not recommend this to any customer service professional. It is NOT customer service.

Advice to Management

Team Leads should be available to assist, not in meetings all the time. Manager should be around to help and to assist with coaching new people. VP needs to listen to employee input.

Pay higher for customer service.

Nov 6, 2013 – Sr. Social Media Recruiter

I am posting this on behalf of our Client Services management team: At Paylocity, we truly value our employees and their feedback, and work to continually improve our employee experiences. It is... More

"Looks good on the surface-but lots of issues once you lift the curtain"

Former Employee - District Sales Manager
    Former Employee - District Sales Manager

I worked at Paylocity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good technology and many pleasant colleagues

Cons

poor management, micro management, policies change week to week, lacking professionalism and at times business ethics. Overburdened with tasks that dont put money in your pocket. Do not understand national dynamics outside of Chicago. Management has a click you are either in or not.

Advice to Management

there is far more to being a quality company than decent technology and racing to go public

Mar 4, 2014 – Sr. Social Media Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. Please know this has been shared with the Sr. VP of Sales and will be reviewed by the executive team, as part of our standard review process. Paylocity is a rapidly... More

"Do not leave a established position for this company"

Former Employee - Client Service Specialist in Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Client Service Specialist in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at Paylocity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people and decent though expensive benefits.

Cons

Training was unacceptable. After asking for additional help daily because I didn't feel like I was getting the software and being told daily that I was doing fine I was terminated for not passing the test. During training we where constantly off topic with comparisons to another payroll company, burning man, racism, etc. Completely impossible to focus on the training.

Advice to Management

Control your trainers and actually make sure they can teach the material.

May 19, 2014 – Sr. Social Media Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. Please know that this feedback has been passed to our training department and that it is taken very seriously. Paylocity works constantly to improve our candidate... More

"The Place You DON'T Want To Start Your Career At!"

Current Employee - National Sales Support in Arlington Heights, IL

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free shirt, ok benefits, and office games we can play like bags(to make all the bros happy and feel like they are still in college), video games, ping pong, and a few others. But there is a reason why they have games, because without them... this would be the worst place to work in America. Hands down!

Cons

First lets look the fact that with every bad review the managers and director as people they know will do whatever they tell you to do to write a forced and false positive review. The turn over is so bad here, a few weeks ago now they made a promotional video glamorizing being a national sales support rep. DON'T BE FOOLED! They were all selectively set up, edited, and scripted on what to show and say. All propaganda to make this opportunity look like something special.

Read the other reviews, for every negative one there are fake scripted positive reviews to counter. I have been asked a few times to write a positive review, but I'm not here to sugar coat this job. It's a scripted telemarketing job where you make a low base, unreachable commission structure, and your advancements after a year as a NSS are into another entry level positions that you will be the same thing.

Advice to Management

They say this job is not for everyone... this job should be illegal actually. Management and the directors here should be ashamed of how they cover up the truth. Managers that are currently here are so rude and love there favorite pawns to make them look good, that's not right and shows the character they are and how Paylocity "values" there employees. How can you go to your managers to talk about a concern like they advertise as an "open door", when the director is the head person making this position so poor. Next steps are going to be with HR. It's only a matter of time people will get fed up to the point of broken promises and belittling micro managing.

Dec 10, 2014 – Sr. Social Media Recruiter

Paylocity values all feedback, even negative feedback. If indeed you are a current employee, we truly hope you've discussed these concerns with your manager so that they can be addressed properly.... More

"National Sales Support: Avoid if you have any kind of degree"

Current Employee - National Sales Support in Arlington Heights, IL

I have been working at Paylocity full-time

Pros

Some genuinely pleasant and funny coworkers who are trying to make the best out of a really bad situation. You can at least learn a little bit about the payroll industry. If not, you will learn about what makes the competition so successful. Although management treats this as a sales role it really isn't. This is realistically a telemarketing role. If you're interested in seeing how brutal that world can be than perhaps step into this pit. You are really trying to set appointments for sales reps to meet new possible clients. You telemarket a database and make 170-200 calls a day. It's a very tough position even if certain things were to change. Theres a game room if you have time to use it or if it hasn't been shut down due to dissatisfaction with performance.

Cons

I could write a book about this place but no one wants that. Honestly, avoid this position at all costs. Being unemployed and waiting for a good job is a way better option. Management is very conflicting and doesn't seem to have any idea of what they want to come from this department. You are given a high quota to try and reach despite the fact that absolutely no one likes to speak with a telemarketer. Heck, think about what happens if you get a call at home. This is the exact same thing. Everything you say is scripted. If you follow the script exactly as trained and fail the managers will blame you. They are no better at this job as they were former NSS reps and the numbers and their occasional attempts to do our job say it all. It ends up in nothing but failure. Every superior you ask for advice will tell you something different. There's no direction, no helpful guidance. Please be wary of being told how wonderful this place is. This is a room full of talented young people who have no prospects other than leaving. New candidates are always told how Paylocity puts them on a fast track to promotion. These are not real promotions unless you consider going to another really tough phone misery job a promotion. I've witnessed plenty of disrespectful behavior on the part of management. I've seen so many people either be fired or quit in the last year that I don't know if I could even list them all. It seems like berating us for that is more important than making any positive changes to a really difficult job. You're lucky if you make any commission as the whole system plays against you. Don't bet on making more than $31k a year here. Far below " entry level".

Advice to Management

Get on the same page, watch the language, listen to your employees when they bring up honest concerns. Provide actual training on what Paylocity actually does different. Don't cut corners on training, constantly change your expectations and berate people and expect to get better results. If you're trying to lose all of your good employees youre certainly achieving that.

Dec 10, 2014 – Sr. Social Media Recruiter

Paylocity is committed to improving our employee experience and we appreciate your sharing this feedback. Not only do we have a training program and ongoing training for our employees, but also work... More

"False Promotion Promises - Highly Questionable Ethics - Horrific Management"

Former Employee - National Sales Support
    Former Employee - National Sales Support

Pros

Good benefits, nice facility, cool people

Cons

TERRIBLE Management that made hiring decisions based on tenure and favoritism rather than work ethic and talent.

The complete and utter negligence of former upper management led to the gutting and restructuring of the department and the hiring of people who are extremely unqualified. This only accomplished losing many of the most talented and hardest working sales people in the department, me being one of them. I was the sales person of the year at this company and was setting about 30 appointments a month and making around 40k at best. I only got a $1,000 bonus for being the sales person of the year while they made millions off the business I generated. What a joke! It doesn't matter if you set an appointment for a 20 employee company and the account doesn't close or set an appointment with an 8,000 employee company and the account is closed... The outside rep makes tens of thousands of dollars while the inside rep gets a measly $100 for setting the appointment. Where's the incentive for inside sales people to generate more lucrative leads?? THERE IS NONE. The business model and pay structure is a complete joke and if you have any sort of talent I suggest you take it elsewhere where your hard work actually PAYS off (pun intended.) There is a reason this place has an EXTREMELY high turnover margin. They hire you to crank out hundreds of calls a day and when you get burnt out or don't produce they bring in a fresh crop and then say "sales isn't for everyone" .... This is true, sales isn't for everyone, but this isn't sales.

Upper management is a joke and extremely cliquey. If you are not in the inner circle you will never move up the ladder even if you preform at the highest level. In the course of 16 months at least the top 3 sales people decided to find other employment due to false promises of promotions made on countless occasions and watching others get unwarranted, mind numbing, insanely unjustifiable promotions due to favoritism and tenure. This is an UNDENIABLE FACT... the current managers who are telling others how to do their jobs could barely make 100% of the required sales quota over the course of the year, whereas other employees with the same sales numbers were fired due to lack of production....WOW.

I am not the only one who has witnessed these actions and I urge you to read similar reviews before buying into false promises that could result in you wasting months or years of your life.

I understand there have been "vast changes" in the organizational structure (particularly National Sales Support) but what happened during my tenure was a complete and utter joke. If you desperately need a job to pay the bills then consider this opportunity. If you have time, a degree, and options.... DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME HERE!!!!

Advice to Management

Clean out the entire sales management department and hire people who are actually qualified.

Create $ incentives to set higher quality appointments.

Mar 17, 2015 – Director of Sales and National Sales Support

Paylocity is open to feedback both negative and positive, and encourage our employees to express themselves. We read all of our reviews, and take them all very seriously. That said, the individual... More

"Entry level"

Former Employee - Technical - Programming
    Former Employee - Technical - Programming

I worked at Paylocity (More than a year)

Pros

Get to play games, work from home, easy work. Pay is ok - not great. Good place to start your career path but won't grow into a promising career

Cons

Feela like a bad startup company that needs to grow up. Management newbies, it's like everyone is learning as they go with little experience in how to manage.

Advice to Management

Needs maturing - extecutive management get some experienced people - you aren't a 10 person company!

Mar 28, 2015 – Director of Marketing

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are sorry that Paylocity didn't end up being your long-term home, and we wish you success in achieving your future career goals. We understand that with our... More

9. "Not what it seems"

I worked at Paylocity full-time

Pros

Great co-workers and team leads. Food days!

Cons

Let's see, micromanage to the max. You can't even take a break let alone go to the bathroom without the manager instant messaging you, asking why aren't you available to take calls. This role is pretty much two jobs in one. You have to take calls from the queue plus assisting your clients via email and phone at the same time which can be stressful. Half of these positive account manager reviews must be from management. The fact that one of the account manager reviews said there is game room on the floor is false! Their is a game room but not where the account managers are. Paylocity is a great company but the account manager role can be a negative reflection.

Advice to Management

Hire managers from within the company so they can assist their employees.

Jun 18, 2015 – Director of Marketing

I am sorry your experience at Paylocity was not a positive one and wish you the best in your current and future endeavors. We are constantly working to improve for our existing employees and all... More

"Poor Management"

I worked at Paylocity full-time

Pros

Great for first few months

Cons

Very poor service, consistent territory cuts, consistent large increases in quota until unmanageable, treat employees as a disposable asset, no loyalty.

Advice to Management

Do what you say