Payroll1 Reviews | Glassdoor

Payroll1 Reviews

Found 16 reviews

2.4
Elaine Kelly
  1. "Amazing LIFE/WORK balance and GREAT TEAM BUILDING"

Current Employee - Recruiting in Birmingham, MS

I have been working at Payroll1 full-time for more than a year

Pros

This company has a wonderful culture and the wamth and genuine concern for others is apparent in not only their policies but treatment of staff. Life/work balance is encouraged and promoted. Salary is based on qualification and past work history. Training is supportive with both self directed tutorials and file share programs easily accessed.

Cons

Office politics can play a role as it can in any organization. Fly straight and your fine.

2. "Great People"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Birmingham, MI

I worked at Payroll1 full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

Good, caring, and professional staff, willing to work hard, take care of clients, and make sure every task and detail is completed thoroughly. Everyone there went the extra mile to satisfy clients and help each other.

Cons

The culture felt like it changed shortly before the company was sold to Heartland Payment Systems. In all fairness, I was also going through some personal issues due to my mother's illness, but some of the warmth and open communication seemed to shift in the months before and right after the sale, making an indelible impact on the company and staff interactions.

Advice to Management

I truly miss the team I worked with at Payroll 1. We were like family, so it was very hard to leave. I do hope the new owners remember that the most valuable asset they acquired when they purchased Payroll 1 was the staff, and that they treat them with the uttmost respect, care, and candor.

3. "Great people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, MI

I worked at Payroll1 full-time

Pros

The other payroll specialist are great.

Cons

No communication from corporate. They make changes with out talking to the people who do the job. They have no idea how much work load is on their employees.

Advice to Management

Talk and listen to your specialist. They are the ones that deal with your clients.

4. "Payroll Specialist"

Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Macomb, MI

I worked at Payroll1 for more than 20 years

Pros

They do a great job of training new employees before actually processing payroll for many clients.

Cons

The pay was low and there's not much room for advancement.

"It's ok"

I have been working at Payroll1 full-time

Pros

I do love the people I work with. It is a very small office, and we're all like family. The pay is decent. They do give a nice bonus for completing your CPP certification.

Cons

I have only had one review and raise since I got there over 3 years ago. They keep dragging their heels. They also like to keep piling more duties on you for no extra pay.

Advice to Management

Regular feedback and reviews are key to improving and motivating your people. It really makes us feel underappreciated when we get nothing from you for feedback or raises.

"16 years at the Company and great people working with except for Elaine Kelly which is an ego manic"

Former Employee - Office Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Payroll1 full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

There is really nothing good about this company

Cons

After 16 years and bringing on 100 companies and managing this whole time, I experienced a personal tragedy with my daughter getting bone cancer. Elaine Kelly came to visit the Denver office. I had shaved my head because my young daughter had lost her hair. She came right up to me and said I will not have my managers with shaved head and I don't care if your daughter has cancer or not. You are the one with cancer....

Advice to Management

Peter and Chip: you guys are great and have always been the soul of the company. Sorry Elaine ever came on board. It has taken a real dive with her poor leadership. And she must be a bear to work for. God bless you guys.

7. "Great Place Great People!"

I have been working at Payroll1 full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture; honesty, integrity, teamwork and work life balance. Not a hierarchal organization, so no micro-managing or redundancy in management positions Stable company

Cons

The fact that this is not a hierarchal organization can lead to ambiguity at times. Great environment for self starters with an entrepreneurial spirit, not so for those requiring a more structured environment.

"Worst Company I ever worked for"

Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Denver, CO

I worked at Payroll1 full-time for more than a year

Pros

I received a better job and only had to endure it for two weeks.

Cons

After going through 2 months of interviewing, I was finally offered a position $2.00 less an hour than originally discussed (1st interview out of 3). When I professionally asked if the salary was negotiable I was scolded like a child and was told "you were told the salary would be xyz!!!" So I'm a liar? I write everything down...Strike 1. Since I recently moved to Denver I needed a job so I reluctantly accepted. I...

Advice to Management

Get a clue

"Decent pay/benefits, Horrible management!!!"

I worked at Payroll1 full-time

Pros

The people are great (excluding management). Pay and benefits start out ok. Don't plan on a salary increase and expect benefit premiums to go up every year.

Cons

Terrible communication between management and specialists. No room to grow in the company.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. It's unprofessional as a district manager to discuss any employee issue with another employee - stop doing it. You should make your employees feel like they are a well respected, valued employee instead of making them feel like they are just there to help out. Take the time to learn your employees name at least.

"Good opportunity for entry level Person looking to start their career in payroll."

Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Payroll1 full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Learn the full cycle of payroll processing. Working with multiple clients and developing working relationships to further enhance career goals.

Cons

Payscale in the Atlanta area is very low compared to industry standards. Location is in the Atlanta/Perimeter and traffic is congested all day. Room for advancement opportunities is poor.

Advice to Management

Foster growth for direct reports to advance and improve upon the low salary ranges

Found 16 reviews