Payscape Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Payscape President & Co-Founder Jeremy Wing
Jeremy Wing

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • This is by far the best company culture I have ever experienced (in 11 reviews)

• Great people to work with and were very welcoming from the first day (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • I've seen little to no actual technology developed by Payscape (in 4 reviews)

• Too many sales reps simply do not do their homework in this regard and that is 100% on them (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great Company Culture"

I have been working at Payscape full-time

Pros

Dog friendly offices and an upbeat environment!!

Cons

individuals must be committed early on to succeed

2. "Great opportunity to grow!"

I worked at Payscape full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Payscape offers an amazing opportunity to learn and grow. The founders are still very hands-on and always encourage new ideas. They also care about their employees. I would say the complaints on this page are more directed toward the industry itself, rather than the actual company. Sales for merchant services is tough and unfortunately, not everyone can cut it. I had nothing but amazing experiences during my time there. And my outlook on the company is high. They're doing a great job at pivoting their business model to more SaaS/tech based products.

Cons

Being entrepreneurial and open to new ideas is amazing! But Payscape can't do everything perfectly. Try to narrow down your product offering to the top things you do well.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Payscape full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Payscape really does have a great culture, especially if you like that edgy startup feel.
    -The after work shin digs are fun if you like that kind of thing, which I kind of did.
    -Payscape does a tremendous job of marketing. Their training, while not perfect, at least is offered.
    -My manager was a great guy and my co-workers were great people, very rare for sales.
    -Commission sales is the ONLY type of sales that matters. Sales jobs that offer base plus commission are trash, believe me! As a small business owner now myself, this is the ONLY way to learn the trade. Literally all I do is sell! At it's worst, Payscape is a fantastic entry level job.
    -Finally, I really liked the CEO. A very interesting and impressive guy.

Cons

-Be prepared to support yourself in some other way in the beginning( night work, Ubering, bartending etc), because you won't make much if anything your first three month's.
    -Sales is what it is, a brutal profession. While Payscape does a good job of at least trying to make it bearable, it's still a meat grinder.
    -Your success in this industry is directly to proportional to how much you understand about the merchant service industry, POS equipment, banking etc. Too many sales reps simply do not do their homework in this regard and that is 100% on them.
    -Bank relationships are great, but they take TIME to develop and that is a LONG cycle. In the beginning, you'll have to be able to close a lot of Mom and Pop's.
    -The Frat atmosphere was alright, neither loved nor hated it. But favoritism exists, so that's an obstacle you'll have to overcome if you're not the Frat type.
    -Satellite offices don't have the things the Atlanta office does to operate at an optimal level.
    -The CFO was not my favorite person, and we'll just leave it at that.

Advice to Management

Meh...I'll pass. Do this job for a few months and see where it leads.If nowhere, find another job. If you really like the company and sales, stick with it.

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Payscape full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Culture, Great people, Freedom, and sales focused. If you can land large account the payout can be great!

Upper management is doing a great job to change many of the issues that are occurring.

Cons

The comp plan that was outlined upon hire was not completely realistic. This was disclosed by direct management during interview and I still optimistically accepted job. With this being a full commission and residual type job, you need those large account to survive and these potential clients are not easy to find or willing to speak with payscape reps.

There is very little training and this makes it difficult to sell yourself other than low balling the competition and that means less pay.

Advice to Management

If you are trying to recruit professional sales people, you need to make it where when starting out, you are making a living wage.

With more training and support being supportive, this can be a killer job. I like where the company is going with it's new direction and hopefully these cons are not cons for long.

5. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Payscape full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm learning how to grow as a Sales Representative at Payscape. MY manager trusts me and has been teaching me a ton! Weekly incentives and bonus' paid out.

Cons

It's not easy work. But I'm a hard worker, so it doesn't bother me.

Advice to Management

Love the company. Would like to see more online training centers for me to continue my fintech education.

"Great place to talk about golfing?"

I worked at Payscape full-time

Pros

I no longer work there.

Cons

I left Payscape quite a while ago, but have put off writing this review until now. The owners of the company appear to be very well connected throughout Atlanta, and I was concerned with regards to retaliation for a negative review. However, now that some time has past, and after hearing about some recent changes in the company, it became clear that I should warn other folks about what they would be walking into with this company.

Based on my experience, the company appears to be designed to specifically reward the owners and a select few members of the sales management team. The employees all feel relatively disposable. Sales associates come and go, and this churn is considered a cost of doing business. The reviews that discuss the "frat house" mentality are not exaggerations. If you're able to make your manager look good, and "bro down" with the rest of the staff, then you'll be treated favorably.

If you're not part of the sales team, you simply don't matter. Operations and technical staff are after thoughts, usually treated like a nuissance. All of which is odd for a company that purports t be a "FinTech" company. I've seen little to no actual technology developed by Payscape. The lifeblood of the company is the sales staff. If you're a technologist, you should look elsewhere. In my opinion, working for Payscape will set your career back, not advance it in any way. I also don't think you'll receive any respect for the work you do (and certainly won't be eligible for many of the so-called "perks" that apply to sales).

In short, Payscape feels like a group of children who are "playing business," but with less discipline. It is not a place I would recommend to anyone.

"Eh"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I worked at Payscape full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Super fun people and work environment, great work perks if you can hit goals.

Cons

No base pay. Commission only.

Advice to Management

Base pay.

8. "Great Culture!"

I have been working at Payscape part-time

Pros

Great people to work with and were very welcoming from the first day. It is apparent that management wants to provide a healthy and successful work environment.

Cons

Must be self-motivated to be successful.

Oct 24, 2017 – President

Thanks for your feedback! We will keep striving to make this a great place to work for all of our employees.

"Best Place to Work? WHAT?"

I worked at Payscape full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's making me write 5 words to move to the next section. No Pros.

Cons

They are only a best place of work because they make all of their employees give them amazing reviews when all of the surveys come out. There is even a part on the survey that asks, "were you pressured into writing this review?" everyone SHOULD answer yes.

Everyone gets paid very poorly there. I don't know how any survives. Even corporate employees are paid poorly, not just the sales reps. Ask for a raise, you won't get it. They will change around your commission structure 17 times to make you think that you are getting more money when in reality you are not. They must think their employees are stupid and can't crunch numbers. They only ones getting paid are the CEO's who run off to Burning Man every chance they get, they have no clue what even goes on in their company.

Advice to Management

You should probably do something to keep your valued employees and the ones that do a great job for your company.

Oct 24, 2017 – President

Thank you for your feedback. We know every experience is different and we take feedback very seriously here at Payscape! We've even recently committed to revamp our training and better equip our reps... More

10. "A place to grow"

I have been working at Payscape full-time

Pros

There is an incredible corporate culture here. Everyone believes in what we do here and that's really easy to get behind. Our team is efficient and works well with all other teams. I get more and more excited to be here every week that goes by. It's a place I can really see a future in, and there's plenty of room to grow.

Cons

No cons on my end.

Mar 20, 2017 – Talent Team Lead

We are so appreciative of this feedback and are so glad to hear you've enjoyed your time here so far!
    -Talent Team Manager