Peace Corps Reviews | Glassdoor

Peace Corps Acting Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet
Carrie Hessler-Radelet
1 Rating

Pros
Cons
  • Five year rule of employment is awful (in 11 reviews)

• Tough living conditions (obviously), but they make you a stronger person (in 21 reviews)

"Staff negligence put many in my group in danger"

Current Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer in Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic)
    Current Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer in Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic)

Pros

Living abroad and working abroad were absolutely amazing. I had a great time learning about another culture and enjoyed the work I was doing.

Cons

When I joined, I thought that the hardest part would be learning a new language and integrating. In reality, it was trying to deal with administration. I was placed in a community where they had clearly not done any previous research and it was a dangerous situation and when I informed them of the dangers, they still left me there and would not even allow me to request a site change. A man had threatened to sexually assault me in my site and they told me it didn't matter because he wasn't from my community. When I said I was more concerned about how isolated my community was and that situation could happen, whether he had acted on his words or not, they told me that isolation was just something I needed to learn to deal with.

A few months later, two men with weapons robbed me, forced me off the side of the road and tried to assault me. They only stopped because I fought them off. Peace Corps told me that being assaulted was my fault because I was walking in my community. Even though I was walking from where I lived to where I worked and was on the main road at 11am. I had to go home after this attack. When I got back to the states, I did some research and found that Peace Corps has a history of victim blaming and ignoring when women ask for site changes for fear of sexual assault. They just changed some policies but clearly those have not been implemented. A staggering 10% from my group of volunteers had to go home early because of a safety incidents we faced within our sites and all of them were preventable and for all of them admin responded very poorly.

Advice to Management

Do proper research to make sure site are safe, listen when people express safety concerns, stop victim blaming.

2. "Disorganization - Completely lost its way"

Pros

Other Volunteers are committed. The integration process of placement with host families was excellent.

Cons

Highest percentage of political appointees of ANY agency in Washington DC.
    A female volunteer is more likely to be sexually assaulted while in service than a US soldier was to be killed or wounded in Iraq.
    35% early termination rate

Advice to Management

Hire real managers with NGO experience. Stop appointing friends with no meaningful international exposure/experience. Re-evaluate the bottom-up approach - it's outdated and ineffective.