Peace Corps Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Peace Corps Acting Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet
Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Pros
Cons
  • Five year rule of employment is awful (in 11 reviews)

• Tough living conditions (obviously), but they make you a stronger person (in 21 reviews)

1. "Utterly Lacking in Substance"

Former Intern - Country Desk Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Country Desk Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

It paid $10/hour as a work-study job.

Cons

I gained no substantive experience whatsoever, and nobody had an interest in my development. All anyone wanted me for was gruntwork, and I was the most underutilized person in the office. I spent months asking for something real to do. They simply could never come up with anything. Their internship program is ill-managed, and led to wasted time for both parties. Also, I didn't know it at the time, but working for the Peace Corps disqualifies you from working for an intelligence agency for 4 years. This has now precluded me from interning with the CIA or DIA, and I was never made aware of this.

Advice to Management

Get it together.

"Should not be considered a government agency"

I worked at Peace Corps full-time

Pros

- Postive attitudes; 90% RPCVs at HQ

Cons

- no continuity due to archaic 5 year rule
    - not much professionalism
    - not much productivity
    - not much business ethic
    - some jobs seem improvised
    - cult-like vibe

Advice to Management

Too much time is spent on the PC culture instead of the daily workloads. The mission needs to be reformed to fit modern day.

3. "The friendliest people you'll ever want to stab you in the back."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

There is a lot of love to go around in this building. The people who come to work everyday come because they care and have a common esprit de corps. There is lots of room for promotion and a great work life balance. Whats more when you leave, everyone is there to say a heartfelt goodbye.

Cons

Peace Corps is, at the end of the day, a government bureaucracy. Its ideals, hopes and dreams, inevitably fail to measure up to its achievements. Its political appointees pursue their own personal, Washington D.C oriented vendetta's with one another, with little regard for what goes on beyond its walls, in the Peace Corps community and with the Volunteers overseas.

Advice to Management

Stop bickering with one another, comport yourselves with apparent integrity, and learn to communicate better, with staff, with volunteers in the field, and with the 200,000+ returned members of the Peace Corps.

Additionally, create a clear decision making process, one that isn't based on personal relationships, or ego, but on an understood, accepted and transparent process where the most reasoned or innovative idea wins.

And never appoint political appointees who didn't serve as Peace Corps Volunteers. Period.

5. "Waited 3 months to start and was dropped"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Peace Corps as an intern

Pros

My friends who interned there have enjoyed their time there.

Cons

As the title suggests, I was "hired," then they took three months to tell me that I was no longer hired. Even if this situation is an outlier it was extremely unprofessional; my only advice is to apply and keep looking for something better, because there is a chance they are just wasting your time.

Advice to Management

Take less than three months to rescind your internships.

6. "Volunteer"

I worked at Peace Corps full-time

Pros

I can't say there was anything truly positive that came from volunteering with the Peace Corps. They are an insulated organization that doesn't respond well to criticisms.

Cons

No professional development. We were treated like children. They also swept sexual assault under the rug. It is basically a large cult that refuses to listen to the concerns of volunteers. Would not recommend under any circumstance.

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing and listen to the volunteers in the field, they know better than you do.

7. "Disorganization - Completely lost its way"

Pros

Other Volunteers are committed. The integration process of placement with host families was excellent.

Cons

Highest percentage of political appointees of ANY agency in Washington DC.
    A female volunteer is more likely to be sexually assaulted while in service than a US soldier was to be killed or wounded in Iraq.
    35% early termination rate

Advice to Management

Hire real managers with NGO experience. Stop appointing friends with no meaningful international exposure/experience. Re-evaluate the bottom-up approach - it's outdated and ineffective.

8. "Open Peace Corps Response to public and cancel 27-month aimless volunteer stints"

Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer
    Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great cultural & language immersion

Cons

Medical staff does not care about you; Peace Corps is solely concerned with their own reputation and image; Staff does not support volunteers; Medical issues back in the states are a much bigger issue -- Staff in DC is not timely and they make it really difficult to get reimbursed or even get in to see a specialist

Advice to Management

Assign jobs before volunteers are deployed (NOT once they are in-country); Hire better & knowledgable medical staff; Cancel Peace Corps and open Response type work to the public

9. "Terrible experience after I was severely injured...."

Former Employee - CBOD in Bangkok (Thailand)
    Former Employee - CBOD in Bangkok (Thailand)

I worked at Peace Corps part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Volunteers are GREAT people to have known

Cons

My program was disorganized: there were too many people sent and not enough for everyone to do. Many people ended up teaching english instead of what they were assigned to do. I was treated terribly after a medical emergency sent me back to the USA. I tried to re-apply again but was laughed at as they 'pitied' what had happened previously.

10. "Great goals, poor implementation"

Former Employee - Volunteer in Riobamba (Ecuador)
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Riobamba (Ecuador)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time

Pros

Great to trail and learn about other cutlures

Cons

In-country star does not know what is happening, and is very unhelpful. You are dropped off somewhere with no resources or way to get anything done.

Advice to Management

Get better training on how to manage millenials

11. "Not a good experience"

Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer in Johannesburg (South Africa)
    Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer in Johannesburg (South Africa)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Got to see a new country.

Cons

Did not feel supported by the peace corps. You had to push to get any medical treatment. Ended up with a hearing loss.

Advice to Management

Evaluate if you are really making a difference with the programs you have in place.