Peace Corps Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Peace Corps Acting Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet
Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Pros
Cons
  • Five year rule of employment is awful (in 11 reviews)

• Tough living conditions (obviously), but they make you a stronger person (in 21 reviews)

1. "Volunteer"

I worked at Peace Corps full-time

Pros

I can't say there was anything truly positive that came from volunteering with the Peace Corps. They are an insulated organization that doesn't respond well to criticisms.

Cons

No professional development. We were treated like children. They also swept sexual assault under the rug. It is basically a large cult that refuses to listen to the concerns of volunteers. Would not recommend under any circumstance.

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing and listen to the volunteers in the field, they know better than you do.

2. "Waited 3 months to start and was dropped"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Peace Corps as an intern

Pros

My friends who interned there have enjoyed their time there.

Cons

As the title suggests, I was "hired," then they took three months to tell me that I was no longer hired. Even if this situation is an outlier it was extremely unprofessional; my only advice is to apply and keep looking for something better, because there is a chance they are just wasting your time.

Advice to Management

Take less than three months to rescind your internships.

"Too little too late"

Former Employee - Program Specialist in Linden (Guyana)
    Former Employee - Program Specialist in Linden (Guyana)

Pros

Plenty to do and tons of good food. the other Peace corps volunteers were very supportive and i made some life long friends.

Cons

There was some serious problems with management and organizational design. I broke my leg and I am unable to get it fixed because PC wouldn't pay for anything.

Advice to Management

Coin the rest of the 21st century, Inputs are not achievements and American culture is not the panacea that you think it is.

"Staff negligence put many in my group in danger"

Current Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer in Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic)
    Current Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer in Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic)

Pros

Living abroad and working abroad were absolutely amazing. I had a great time learning about another culture and enjoyed the work I was doing.

Cons

When I joined, I thought that the hardest part would be learning a new language and integrating. In reality, it was trying to deal with administration. I was placed in a community where they had clearly not done any previous research and it was a dangerous situation and when I informed them of the dangers, they still left me there and would not even allow me to request a site change. A man had threatened to sexually assault me in my site and they told me it didn't matter because he wasn't from my community. When I said I was more concerned about how isolated my community was and that situation could happen, whether he had acted on his words or not, they told me that isolation was just something I needed to learn to deal with.

A few months later, two men with weapons robbed me, forced me off the side of the road and tried to assault me. They only stopped because I fought them off. Peace Corps told me that being assaulted was my fault because I was walking in my community. Even though I was walking from where I lived to where I worked and was on the main road at 11am. I had to go home after this attack. When I got back to the states, I did some research and found that Peace Corps has a history of victim blaming and ignoring when women ask for site changes for fear of sexual assault. They just changed some policies but clearly those have not been implemented. A staggering 10% from my group of volunteers had to go home early because of a safety incidents we faced within our sites and all of them were preventable and for all of them admin responded very poorly.

Advice to Management

Do proper research to make sure site are safe, listen when people express safety concerns, stop victim blaming.

6. "Not a good experience"

Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer in Johannesburg (South Africa)
    Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer in Johannesburg (South Africa)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Got to see a new country.

Cons

Did not feel supported by the peace corps. You had to push to get any medical treatment. Ended up with a hearing loss.

Advice to Management

Evaluate if you are really making a difference with the programs you have in place.

7. "The friendliest people you'll ever want to stab you in the back."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

There is a lot of love to go around in this building. The people who come to work everyday come because they care and have a common esprit de corps. There is lots of room for promotion and a great work life balance. Whats more when you leave, everyone is there to say a heartfelt goodbye.

Cons

Peace Corps is, at the end of the day, a government bureaucracy. Its ideals, hopes and dreams, inevitably fail to measure up to its achievements. Its political appointees pursue their own personal, Washington D.C oriented vendetta's with one another, with little regard for what goes on beyond its walls, in the Peace Corps community and with the Volunteers overseas.

Advice to Management

Stop bickering with one another, comport yourselves with apparent integrity, and learn to communicate better, with staff, with volunteers in the field, and with the 200,000+ returned members of the Peace Corps.

Additionally, create a clear decision making process, one that isn't based on personal relationships, or ego, but on an understood, accepted and transparent process where the most reasoned or innovative idea wins.

And never appoint political appointees who didn't serve as Peace Corps Volunteers. Period.

"Should not be considered a government agency"

I worked at Peace Corps full-time

Pros

- Postive attitudes; 90% RPCVs at HQ

Cons

- no continuity due to archaic 5 year rule
    - not much professionalism
    - not much productivity
    - not much business ethic
    - some jobs seem improvised
    - cult-like vibe

Advice to Management

Too much time is spent on the PC culture instead of the daily workloads. The mission needs to be reformed to fit modern day.

9. "Great goals, poor implementation"

Former Employee - Volunteer in Riobamba (Ecuador)
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Riobamba (Ecuador)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time

Pros

Great to trail and learn about other cutlures

Cons

In-country star does not know what is happening, and is very unhelpful. You are dropped off somewhere with no resources or way to get anything done.

Advice to Management

Get better training on how to manage millenials

10. "Utterly Lacking in Substance"

Former Intern - Country Desk Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Country Desk Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

It paid $10/hour as a work-study job.

Cons

I gained no substantive experience whatsoever, and nobody had an interest in my development. All anyone wanted me for was gruntwork, and I was the most underutilized person in the office. I spent months asking for something real to do. They simply could never come up with anything. Their internship program is ill-managed, and led to wasted time for both parties. Also, I didn't know it at the time, but working for the Peace Corps disqualifies you from working for an intelligence agency for 4 years. This has now precluded me from interning with the CIA or DIA, and I was never made aware of this.

Advice to Management

Get it together.

11. "Terrible experience after I was severely injured...."

Former Employee - CBOD in Bangkok (Thailand)
    Former Employee - CBOD in Bangkok (Thailand)

I worked at Peace Corps part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Volunteers are GREAT people to have known

Cons

My program was disorganized: there were too many people sent and not enough for everyone to do. Many people ended up teaching english instead of what they were assigned to do. I was treated terribly after a medical emergency sent me back to the USA. I tried to re-apply again but was laughed at as they 'pitied' what had happened previously.