Peace Corps Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Peace Corps Acting Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet
Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Pros
  • Life-changing experience, ability to learn a new language (in 40 reviews)

• Being able to work with diverse groups of host country nationals (HCN) and hear their stories (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Tough living conditions (obviously), but they make you a stronger person (in 21 reviews)

• Five year rule of employment is awful (in 10 reviews)

1. "Not Supported Once out in the Village"

Current Employee - LIFE Volunteer in Lusaka, Lusaka (Zambia)
    Current Employee - LIFE Volunteer in Lusaka, Lusaka (Zambia)

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training, adventure, efficient supplies, organized, able to get back to America quickly.

Cons

Verbally and Written Documentation that Peace Corps was not responsible for my personal safety in the village.

Advice to Management

Take Responsibility

2. "Institutional Development Advisor"

Pros

Good health benefits
    Impactful Work
    Freedom to start, develop, and manage your own programs and projects
    You get to travel to unique places

Cons

Not enough support from admin staff
    Poor partner vetting
    Terrible vacation policy
    Treated very poorly if you decide to leave (no matter what the reason is)

Advice to Management

If you want better volunteer retention rates, you have to look at the failures of the in-country management. You have a tendency to blame volunteer failures solely on the volunteers themselves, while ignoring some very significant management failures. The first day I arrived at my organization the Executive Director said to me, "I didn't request a volunteer. I don't want a volunteer. This must have been a request submitted years ago by my predecessor." That is a terrible way to start a two year program.

3. "Volunteer"

Former Employee - Volunteer in Kolonia (Federated States of Micronesia)
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Kolonia (Federated States of Micronesia)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I got to live on a tropical island for 2+ years

Cons

Few food options, boredom, felt unsafe at times.

5. "Health Education Volunteer in Namibia"

Current Employee - Health Educator in Windhoek (Namibia)
    Current Employee - Health Educator in Windhoek (Namibia)

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a lot of opportunity to make a difference in people's lives.

Cons

The organization itself is horribly run, at least in Namibia.

Advice to Management

Make longer contracts so the staff turnover doesn't happen every 6 months.

6. "Interesting experience"

Former Employee - Volunteer in Kosovo (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Kosovo (Bosnia and Herzegovina)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting experience, go somewhere you probably wouldn't otherwise, governmental support if things go wrong

Cons

Staff tended to make things worse when they tried getting involved with some work difficulties, which eventually led me to have to leave early.

Advice to Management

Try to offer more actual help to volunteers and fewer platitudes.

7. "Cuerpo de Paz (Peace Corps!)"

Former Employee - Advisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Advisor in New York, NY

Pros

Quite the growing up experience. Peace Corps will challenge you - mentally, physically. You'll really discover who you are in all types of situations.

Cons

Safety was a bit of a concern. I spoke elementary spanish and was sent out the furthest from Peace Corps headquarters. My site was very dangerous to get into - no roads, cliffsides w out barriers, landslides, etc. Surprised they had sent me there in all honesty. But, happy I spent my time in central america w out incident. Best advice I can give someone is to be safe! Although the risk is well worth the reward, you are still traveling to another country w poverty, violence, disease, etc. Be smart!!

8. "Ratings are skewed - Staff versus Volunteers=drastically different experiences"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

The mission - bar none - there cannot possibly be another government agency where staff are so passionate about the mission of their agency. Volunteers are doing great work.

However, Glass Door ratings are skewed for the Peace Corps, as Volunteers do not have any context for what it is like to work at HQ or perhaps even the challenges experienced by staff at a post. Most Volunteers would say that being a PCV is an amazing experience.

Cons

Many staff would say that the Peace Corps lacks any institutional memory, it's too bureaucratic while (surprisingly) also has no real clear procedures or guidelines on how to do anything. Everything is fly by night, make it up, do it until someone tells you not to do it.

There are so many damn political appointees who are horribly, miserably under qualified to do the jobs they are "appointed" to do. There is an appointee in charge of almost every office and many more within those offices.

Leadership is weak and dysfunctional - lacking any real strategy or vision. (There is some diagram that is supposed to represent the vision but it's laughable with no clear articulation of what it means and how it applies to each office or how to implement it). Leaderships solutions to debilitating issues and problems are grossly inadequate and have solved nothing. Leadership is out of touch with how offices actually operate.

Internal communication no longer exists. Departments operate as political fiefdoms of the political appointee in charge of it. Desires of an individual office trump overarching Agency needs.

You'll hear a lot of talk about more reforms than ever before - but that's just rhetoric as there is no real evidence. The management in the next administration will have their hands full repairing all of the processes that have become broken in the last few years (and undoing some of those "reforms")

Advice to Management

Stand up to the White House - tell them to stop sending appointees (or at least make sure they are experienced and qualified).

Have the next administration reduce the number of political appointees. At the very least, do not retain the current appointees.

9. "Volunteer"

Pros

Excellent language training, once-in-a-lifetime experience, amazing way to see the world and impact the people of a developing nation.You will gain a perspective that will impact you for the rest of your life.

Cons

Safety and security, more specifically, sexual harassment is a ubiquitous fact of life for a female peace corps volunteer. Your body will age and will be subject to many illnesses. The language you will learn is more than likely not going to be useful to you after PC.

10. "TEFL TEACHER AND TRAINER"

Former Employee - Teacher in Winter Park, FL
    Former Employee - Teacher in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great cross-cultural experience and way to learn a language. Builds confidence. Work with wide range of demographics. Great way to present American culture through who you and from your perspective. Depending on host country nationals to help you integrate is necessary. Developing new ways to solve problems will happen in a de eloping country. Making life long friends with other Peace Corps workers will be valuable. Relationships with youth will continue after your service. Interesting and funny stories will be told.

Cons

We were promised to work towards our TEFL certificate while in service but it did not start until the group that followed us. Many employers in America do not highly value the Peace Corps experience after service. Very few people are interested in your telling about your experience when you return. Transitioning back into the US is very challenging and there is a period of depression. Figuring out what to do after Peace Corps was perplexing to get a full time job and do meaningful work. Experiencing a small community connection in my country was deeply missed and hard to cultivate when I returned to US to my city. I felt a bit lost when I returned like I didn't belong in the US. I was disgusted by all the extravagance in the US after seeing so much poverty in my country. Things are so complicated and much more expensive in the US and when I returned, I didn't want to shop mega stores. I was used to walking everywhere in my country but I am back transportation on my US city was so spread out and inconvenient not to mention more expensive than in my country. It was a huge adjustment to return to America after service. I had to be willing to find a job in another city or state from where I lived.

Advice to Management

I think that in the last three months of service, there should be a lot of coaching by senior staff to deal with depression, setting goals for the future, and resume rewriting especially if you are changing careers. Make the C 127 medical forms for authorization for medical issues that still need attention after service to be processed electronically so you don't have to pay and then file. The providers I called for Seven Corners in my city do not want to accept the C 127s. I couldn't take care of my medical issues because it was so complicated and too expensive for me to pay first.

"Volunteer"

Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer in Kingston (Jamaica)
    Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer in Kingston (Jamaica)

Pros

Travel, meet new people, learn a new language

Cons

Peace Corps staff wants you to be subservient. You cannot challenge or disagree with anything a member of stuff says or does, or you will probably be sent home.

Advice to Management

Be open to constructive criticism. Don't expect all volunteers to be sheep.