Peace Corps Reviews | Glassdoor

Peace Corps Reviews

Updated October 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Life-changing experience, ability to learn a new language (in 42 reviews)

• It was a life changing experience that was possible through this organization (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Five-year rule and in-and-out rule (in 14 reviews)

• Tough living conditions, language and cultural barriers- nothing that was unexpected (in 23 reviews)

1. "Great place to be"

Former Employee - Volunteer in Skopje (Republic of Macedonia)
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Skopje (Republic of Macedonia)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of learning, great community atmosphere, excellent management

Cons

None, it was a great experience

2. "Peace Corps Burkina Faso"

Former Employee - Community Health Worker in Kaya, Sanmatenga (Burkina Faso)
    Former Employee - Community Health Worker in Kaya, Sanmatenga (Burkina Faso)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meaningful work, great community

Cons

Top heavy, often felt opinions were disregarded

3. "Volunteer"

Pros

Get to do meaningful work

Cons

sometimes the peace Corps office can make things complicated

4. "PCV"

I worked at Peace Corps full-time

Pros

Travel, language, intercultural, resume builder

Cons

Difficult to integrate at times

Advice to Management

None

5. "Program Manager"

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great working atmosphere- almost like a family. good experience and interaction with Americans and host country nationals. great health insurance and social security benefits.

Cons

Not stable especially if anything major happened in the country or the neighboring countries. if you have a boss who thinks s/he knows it all as an American and not willing to listen (but this happens everywhere not specific to PC)

Advice to Management

Check your employees carefully before hiring and make sure that you assess them on regular basis. Let someone in country interview them as well before hiring (a committee)

6. "Nurse Consultant - Medical Clearance / Liaison Department of State"

I worked at Peace Corps part-time

Pros

Medical coordination for Overseas employees R/T clearance criterion immunization advice and counseling/ was rewarding and well appreciated by people traveling over seas with families for work in Embassy and Peace Corp Posts. generally people good to work with many return volunteers

Cons

term limited , and management constant changes, disrupted tours, political influences and easy to cover up problems, with impunity , hard to get incompetent people moved out.- seem to promote / protect and defend poor managers - political jockeying.

Advice to Management

Say what you do , do what you say, Golden rule still applies-
    caution you are losing good people

7. "Great Experience if you make it your own"

Current Employee - Volunteer in Gjilan (Kosovo)
    Current Employee - Volunteer in Gjilan (Kosovo)

I have been working at Peace Corps (More than a year)

Pros

After three months of training, I was dropped off in a small village and basically left to my own devices. I had extreme flexibility and understanding from Peace Corps staff when it came to how I managed my project within the community I was assigned to work in. Our training, was, in my opinion, the best it could have been considering we only had three months to learn the local language and train for our roles as volunteers. I left the Peace Corps a better person, for self-starters the Peace Corps is an excellent opportunity to really transform yourself.

Cons

While I myself never had this issue, many of my colleagues had issues when petitioning Peace Corps staff for assistance within their communities. While for a government agency, Peace Corps has far less red tape than other agencies, the bureaucratic overhead often got in the way of doing the work I felt I needed to do. Of course, there are reasons why rules are in place but for the type-A personalities often attracted to the Peace Corps, it can easily be an unexpected frustration.

Advice to Management

Consider being more upfront about what you can and cannot help volunteers with and continue pushing volunteers to be as independent as possible. During training, our country director told me in person that in the end, I was going to be the expert on my community and that I should move forward with that in mind. This was excellent advice, as it encouraged me to work through the issues I encountered in my community rather than petition Peace Corps for assistance immediately. Peace Corps Kosovo is a new program, so some kinks in the system are to be expected, but I think moving forward it would be good to enshrine a more independent ethos amongst the volunteers instead of promising support the organization cannot provide.

8. "The Toughest Job You'll Ever Love"

Former Employee - English Education Volunteer in Tbilisi (Georgia)
    Former Employee - English Education Volunteer in Tbilisi (Georgia)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Freedom to choose secondary projects benefiting your community.
    Amazingly positive reaction when I suffered a death in the family (on a plane virtually the next night).
    As much or as little oversight as you require.
    Intense training to ensure you have the language and professional skills you need.

Cons

It can get lonely in them thar hills when you are the only real English speaker.

9. "Peace Corps Volunteer"

Former Employee - Volunteer in Luganville (Vanuatu)
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Luganville (Vanuatu)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to travel to remote parts of the world, integrate in a community, learn language and cross cultural skills, have the support of the US government, so many more

Cons

Difficult living conditions sometimes, isolation, little control of some situations

10. "Peace Corps Volunteer, TEFL"

Former Employee - Volunteer
    Former Employee - Volunteer

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The vast majority of employees and volunteers are incredibly passionate about helping those in need and are very supportive of each other. The medical support was also great as well. A once in a lifetime experience that I have never regretted.

Cons

The usual government bureaucracy can really slow things down. The pay is pretty low compared to US salaries but very competitive for the countries you are living in.

Advice to Management

Way too much training is done in a classroom and needs to be more experience based rather than simple lectures or discussions

Showing 947 of 1,035 reviews