Peace Corps Reviews | Glassdoor

Peace Corps Reviews

Updated April 24, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • Five year rule of employment is awful (in 11 reviews)

• Tough living conditions (obviously), but they make you a stronger person (in 21 reviews)

1. "I did youth development work from 2011 to 2013 in rural Morocco."

Former Intern - Youth Development Volunteer in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Youth Development Volunteer in Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Peace Corps work is as hands-on as it gets! I enjoyed teaching English as a Foreign Language to all ages and levels of learners and leading critical skills development programs with youth, especially young women.

Cons

The high turnover innate to the Peace Corps allows for some gaps in the programming. I was unfortunate to be trained for my service during one of those gaps, which left me quite uncertain how to begin my service. It was an obstacle I overcame.

Advice to Management

I would advise management to nominate volunteers on the basis of their expertise and place them accordingly.

2. "Epic experience in Niger"

Former Employee - Volunteer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cross-cultural sharing, learning a new language, making life-long friendships, experiencing the challenges and opportunities of the developing world

Cons

Difficult transitions - both going into and coming out of Peace Corps. But these transitions in themselves are excellent learning and personal development achievements.

Advice to Management

Open Peace Corps programs in more countries. Increase visibility/ awareness of Peace Corps in the US.

3. "Great experience - challenges well worth the outcomes"

Former Contractor - Peace Corps Volunteer in Washington, DC
    Former Contractor - Peace Corps Volunteer in Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to live in a new place and truly integrate with a local community and culture. Participate in local development. Develop soft skills that will become marketable post-service.

Cons

Disconnect between country staff and volunteers, and huge disconnect between Peace Corps HQ and volunteers on the ground. Small stipend, and readjustment allowance post-service is very small.

5. "It truly is the toughest job you'll ever love."

Former Employee - Volunteer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Austin, TX

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learn a new language, live in a new culture, be challenged to solve problems in ways you never expected. Service in a small village in southern Mali, but Glassdoor doesn't even have Bamako as an option for location.

Cons

It can be lonely. There will be challenges: communication, plumbing, and transportation come to mind.

"Service with a mission"

Current Employee - Program Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, ability to work remotely, good location, special federal hiring status after 3 years of employment, great mission, fun Peace Corps Third Goal activities throughout year.

Cons

Five-year rule causes too much turn over, you need to be looking for a new job when you walk in the door. No diversity in experience or skills, no child care.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the five year rule and just make everyone up for reappointment every 5 years. Clear out the old be keep the good.

7. "Excellent"

Former Employee - Country Desk Assistant/Officer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Country Desk Assistant/Officer in Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Colleagues work hard and there is a real sense of shared mission that is difficult to find in most other places of employment. The work at Peace Corps HQ is fast-paced and new ideas are promoted. The organization also instituted a comprehensive leadership development program a few years ago.

Cons

There is a five-year rule in place which means most who work for Peace Corps cannot make a long-term career out of it. Regardless of performance, you are out after 5 years, with a small number extended for an additional year or two. Politics are also present. Most of the department heads are political appointees. Though I worked under a republican administration and a democratic administration and did not notice a great difference in the day to day business of the work.

8. "Intern at the Peace Corps - Office of Overseas Programming and Training - Information Collection and Exchange"

Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at Peace Corps part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great working atmosphere, laid back, friendly people, tons of multicultural aspects since it is the peace corps after all. As an intern, I did a lot of legit work, like managing the library and helping with official significant project. I did not xerox at all.

Cons

Honestly there really isn't anything that bad about when I was working there...I really like it there.

"Peace Corps was an amazing experience both as a Volunteer abroad as well as an employee based in the US."

Former Employee - Recruitment Coordinator in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Recruitment Coordinator in Dallas, TX

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to expand network globally, while contributing to ground level development work. Learn a language, experience a culture, then come back and share the excitement of having done those things, with others. It's a dream job.

Cons

Still a government agency which can sometimes be bogged down in process and procedure, making it difficult to complete projects.

Advice to Management

You've gone to great lengths to recruit top talent from top schools, with varied backgrounds, representative of the American people... so trust them to better the HQ operations, as you trusted them in the field. Remember the goal of the Volunteer and apply the same principals to everyday work in HQ and all will be well.

10. "Admin for Peace Corps Volunteers overseas"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-great people who want to go the extra mile: a real difference from many other federal agencies
    -HQ is a nice, newer building in good location
    -feeling that your job supports efforts that matter and help our world's poorest people

Cons

-5 year rule creates vacancies to move up, but creates high turnover and poor institutional memory
    -funding is poor compared to other agencies

Advice to Management

-eliminate 5 year rule for high-technical knowledge positions
    -reduce number of political appointees

11. "I got more out of the Peace Corps experience than I put in."

Former Employee - Community Economic Developer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Community Economic Developer in Washington, DC

Pros

It's a wondeful opportunity to use your imagination to create positive change in underserved areas.

Cons

Well it varies depending on which region you are assigned to but for me the isolation was the most difficult part of being a Peace Corps Volunteer. I was stationed in Azerbaijan but was unable to indicate that b/c this website doesn't give that as an option. They do have neighboring Armenia though which is smaller in most counts than Azerbaijan so I don't understand why it's not listed.

Advice to Management

Create a website for Peace Corps Volunteers to collaborate with each other instead of "reinventing the wheel" each time.