Peace Corps "living conditions" Reviews | Glassdoor

Peace Corps Employee Reviews about "living conditions"

Updated Nov 20, 2019

4.1
Peace Corps Acting Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet
Carrie Hessler-Radelet
Pros
  • "New Language and Culture Appreciation(in 87 reviews)

• "Opportunity to learn a new language and culture(in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some volunteers struggle more than others due to the lack of language or exposure to other cultures(in 184 reviews)

• "distance from family, feelings of isolation(in 66 reviews)

Reviews about "living conditions"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Peace Corps Volunteer"

I worked at Peace Corps full-time

Pros

Once in a lifetime experience! I'm very grateful for this opportunity.

Cons

Tough living conditions, language and cultural barriers- nothing that was unexpected

Peace Corps2017-09-11
  2. "Amazing opportunity to live abroad"

Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary School

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros

It was amazing becoming part of a community and learning about a culture other than my own.

Cons

Low pay and difficult living conditions for some volunteers.

Peace Corps2019-11-20
  3. "PCV"

Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros

Humanitarian and development work, worth cause, language learning, exposure to new cultures, ability to travel, can gain experience working with governments and nonprofits, ability to gain experience with grant writing

Cons

low pay, hard to save money, hardship living conditions

Peace Corps2019-07-29
  4. "Not for the faint of heart"

I worked at Peace Corps full-time

Pros

Opportunity to live immersed in a different culture There's a whole big world out there, and you get to see some of it! Completely flexible schedule Independence

Cons

Still part of a bureaucratic system, so have to fit the mold No structure Tough physical and psychological living conditions

Peace Corps2018-05-21
  5. "Great opportunity to gain experience in international development"

Former Employee - Community Health Advisor

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros

Peace Corps is one of the surest ways to get significant experience in international development for people with no prior experience. You live and work within the community you are serving, providing technical assistance to meet the needs of your host community and build their capacity to continue after you leave. As such, activities, projects, and duties vary greatly between volunteers. Great way to learn a new... language, meet new friends, and explore a different culture.

Cons

Peace Corps can be very stressful. You are on duty and representing the United States people basically 24/7 when you are within your host country. Furthermore, living conditions can be very different from what people are used to in the United States.

Peace Corps2017-11-30
  6. "Peace Corps Volunteer"

I worked at Peace Corps full-time

Pros

Serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer is a great way to gain international experience, especially for recent graduates who might have trouble finding jobs straight out of school.

Cons

Tough living conditions (obviously), but they make you a stronger person. Sometimes there are disagreements and tension between Volunteers and staff.

Peace Corps2016-11-10

"Peace Corps Volunteer"

Health Volunteer

I worked at Peace Corps for more than a year

Pros

The opportunity to live in another country, learn a foreign language, work on meaningful projects, and work with amazing people. Federal student loans can be deferred, which makes volunteering more feasible for those of us with student loan debt.

Cons

Each Volunteer's experience differs depending on the host country, site, sector, and people the Volunteer is assigned to work with in their site. Service can be challenging for reasons such as illness (which can sometimes persist after service ends), difficulty adjusting to living conditions and climate, cultural integration, lack of boundaries between personal/professional life, lack of privacy, and... unclear/differing work expectations. Host communities sometimes have expectations that differ from our training, which could be improved with clearer job descriptions that are communicated to our work partners in our sites. Clarifying our role can sometimes be difficult, and increased support/supervision from Peace Corps would be helpful. Compensation is low, but this was expected. Do your research to see if your student loans will be deferred and if volunteering for two years is feasible for you. Talk to Volunteers who have been in the country and sector you are considering so you can be prepared.

Advice to Management

Listen to Volunteers about their concerns and offer more support and supervision when needed. Communicate our job descriptions more clearly to our host communities in order to clarify our role and set reasonable expectations. For Volunteers who will be implementing community projects, more thorough training in project design, theory of change, and other aspects of monitoring and evaluation during the initial... training period would be beneficial.

Peace Corps2016-09-29
  8. "PCV In-country experience"

Youth Development Volunteer

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

Peace Corps Volunteers all have unique experiences, where they become immersed and engaged in different cultures and work environments. Volunteers are generally passionate about working in their communities and gain great insight to grass-roots development and diplomacy work.

Cons

All volunteers need to be prepared to complete projects with little oversight and guidance from their country headquarters. Work and living conditions vary greatly from post to post, and successes must be measured differently for each person.

Advice to Management

Continue to have intense trainings at the beginning of service and throughout volunteer's service. Realize that people working in management positions are there to support volunteer activities.

Peace Corps2016-01-14
  9. "English and Gender Equality"

Former Employee - English Teacher and Gender Equality Extension Agent in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working for the United States Peace Corps is a life changing experience. As they say, no one service is the same. Every volunteer has a completely different experience. But we all find it to be monumental.

Cons

The living conditions in a developing country can be very difficult as one can imagine. The Peace Corps does its best to look out for the health and security for its volunteers. However, there are a few incidents that are unable to be avoided.

Peace Corps2015-10-08
  10. "Keep realistic expectations and you can have a life changing experience."

Current Contractor - Peace Corps Volunteer in Morocco, MO

I have been working at Peace Corps for more than a year

Pros

-Living Abroad for 2 years -Flexible schedule -Able to adapt projects/role to desired career path. -Paid Health -Travel opportunities -Vacation benefits

Cons

-Pay = volunteer position -Required trainings that have no benefit to service -Living Conditions (Location specific)

Advice to Management

Use the resources within each country to improve resources and trainings.

Peace Corps2015-01-29