Peanut Labs Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Noman Ali

1. "Great People :)"

Pros

Great people, manageable work, some good perks (i.e. team lunch, birthday celebrations, etc.)

Cons

Conflict between being a startup and a more structured, corporate company.

"Fantastic company"

I have been working at Peanut Labs full-time

Pros

Fantastic Company! Very progressive company with a lot of opportunity.

Cons

Laid back culture can be both a blessing and a curse

"Opportunities for Self Starters"

I have been working at Peanut Labs full-time

Pros

I have been with the Labs for 5+ years. We were acquired and have definitely gone through some growing pains- but now more than ever it is a special place to work.
    The three biggest factors that I appreciate about Peanut Labs are the growth opportunities, the people, and the big company/ small company mix.

Starting with that last point, Peanut Labs is a subsidiary of a larger company. In that sense, we enjoy some of the benefits of being a part of a global team. With that there are opportunities for connection and cross learning with employees and leaders of the larger group. We still, however, operate independently and have a unique team and culture, but there is exposure that wouldn’t exist if we were a small company on our own.

The people are really what make this place special, and we’ve managed to grow this incredible team of smart and curious people. I call many of them close friends, and look forward to spending my day with this group. Culture is a hard thing to pin down and I can’t entirely say what drives this at PL, but people genuinely enjoy each other and help each other out.

Finally, for me the most important piece has been the opportunity for growth. While we have gotten more structured and organized, there is this sense of possibility with most things where it feels like if you’re interested in something and want to learn about it, or start a new process or initiative, you can try it out. Perhaps it is the lack up structure or formality that makes this possible, but if you’re the type of person who appreciates these opportunities and openings it is wonderful.

Cons

It is also not for everyone. Nothing will be handed to you on a silver platter, or laid out exactly for you, which can sometimes be frustrating. I would say it is a place for smart and hard working self-starters looking to grow. Sometimes there is also bureaucracy and red tape being a part of a bigger group, but it is typically avoided.

"work"

Pros

Very diverse environment, friendly people.

Cons

No career ladder and depending on your role, it is hard to learn a different role even though it has a start vibe.

"Excel and they'll notice"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Peanut Labs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of people mention that there is a high tolerance for incompetence at PL, and that's true. Sometimes they take too long to give warning to someone. However, if you are a self-started and push yourself to excel, they'll really take notice. Lots of room to grow at this company, with plenty of opportunities for promotion and raises IF you take it upon yourself to figure out where PL really needs your skills.

Cons

Again, the tolerance for incompetence. It's too easy to take advantage of the fact that the management isn't structured enough, very few people have a real "boss" that holds them accountable.

Advice to Management

I know you long for the old startup days when everyone pushed themselves and management was fairly unstructured, but that's over now. Appoint managers who have the actual time and resources to hold their direct reports accountable....and then hold the managers accountable.

"Churning Nuts"

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Peanut Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Small company, you get to know everyone quickly
    Good rapport within the office
    Very transparent, weekly office catch-up meeting

Cons

No transparency with regards to job requirement. Unreasonable expectations such as 12 hour days and working weekends ( all without extra pay) that were not mentioned before employment.

8. "Great co-workers but that is pretty much it ."

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Peanut Labs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers who are always willing to help . Fun and open work environment . Company recently relocated to a really nice office with good amenities .

Cons

Company and management has lack of respect for employees Company offers low salary compared to market . There is close to no designation advancement . Usually during releases long work hours needed due to lack of planning . Lack of processes followed lead almost always to hasty decisions. Lack of leadership abilities in some department managers lead to lack of motivation and low self esteem . Lack of perks and benefits compared to Marketplace . Management tries to deflect their blame on employees leading to hostile work environment at times .

Advice to Management

Please introduce processes so work is done in a streamlined and proper way. Give due respect to employees . Provide opportunities for growth .

9. "Swimming Upstream"

Pros

Casual atmosphere, good place to learn new skills. Awesome parties and cruises. Intelligent management staff. Good location. Smart tech staff.

Cons

Extreme tolerance for employee incompetence. An employee could be dead at his desk for a month before he is issued his first of ten warnings.