Peapod Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Jennifer Carr-Smith
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good benefits for full time workers (in 8 reviews)

• Great environment, great people, and great values (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Overtime is mandatory and you won't know if you'll have to stay until 30-40 mins before your shift is over (in 7 reviews)

• Long hours, you may not always have a route, vindictive supervisors (in 8 reviews)

1. "Personal Shopper"

Current Employee - Personal Shopper
    Current Employee - Personal Shopper

I have been working at Peapod part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Union within a few months

Usually stable and flexible schedule

$0.25 raise when you become Union

Good health benefits (full time only)

Overtime pay

Time and a half on Sundays (about two years in I believe)

They will work with you, to a certain extent, with your schedule. But only if they like you.

You can request off about two weeks in advance

Paid vacation (for part time it's only five days and up to 20 hours I believe)

Paid sick and personal days

About a 5% discount for any item inside the store

Good if you have trouble finding a job as they hire almost anyone

Cons

Only minimum wage plus a quarter even if you shop fast and rarely get any BPIs (Broken Promise Index; basically a fancy way of saying a customer complaint when you give them a wrong item, poor quality or a missing item).

Management plays favorites. I have coworkers that have the nastiest attitude and they always get a pass because they're good at their job.

You're expected to be a very fast shopper. I'm one of the top shoppers now after a few years but there really isn't any point. You don't get paid more for shopping faster than everyone else. Even though shopping fast is a crucial part of the job the ones that work the hardest always get the short end of the stick.

Everyone is unprofessional and the place is poorly ran. Management always sets rules but then forget about them a week later. They don't care about most of their employees. They only care about what benefits them.

Overtime is mandatory. It used to be worse years ago but has gotten better. You're not allowed to leave until all of the orders are done if you're a shopper. You could either work from 6:30 to 2am or 6:30 to 10:00pm. You never really know when you'll be going home.

It's almost impossible to get full time. Even if you do really, really well at your job. You get treated like a slave for nothing.

Understaffed sometimes.

You're expected to be perfect all the time. Otherwise you're an idiot to them.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites, actually enforce the rules, treat your employees better so they don't leave, be a little more picky about who you hire, and stop overworking us for nothing.

2. "Peapod"

I worked at Peapod full-time

Pros

Good job good pay nice

Cons

Not all employees are friendly

3. "Supportive Culture in Cutting Edge Industry"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skokie, IL

I have been working at Peapod full-time

Pros

Exciting to be at Peapod during a very transformation time. Leadership and managers are supportive of balancing work and personal pursuits, and fast pace of industry and work is cool.

Cons

Can seem overwhelming at times, and feels a bit top heavy with many higher level leaders and not enough "do-ers".

Advice to Management

Keeping investing in your people & their growth, and don't lose the fun & light culture that made Peapod great.

4. "Awful place"

Current Employee - Driver
    Current Employee - Driver

I have been working at Peapod part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Money great, customers are awesome for the most part, you see things you wouldn't normally, become organized if you weren't before, learn to drive a box truck, get great exercise, without needing a gym membership, co workers are alright, some not so much at times

Cons

The head manager is a joke, he flies off the handle for no reason. Managers and my coworkers alike tread carefully around our head manager. With this type of environment there is a lot of abuse, bullying, favoritism to the point of illegal (things done etc very shady things happen here), people play games here. I mean mental games, people spy on each other, I never seen such a wretched place. The place is so dirty I found a cockroach the other day in a tote, I would never order from this company, it is dirty and I'm surprised no one has sued.

Advice to Management

You guys need to understand peapod is not life and people need time off. Hire more people, people keep leaving because you are inefficient and make people numbers. I'm on my way out myself. I won't miss this place. Talking you shouldn't be a dreadful experience, nor should people fear it. Asking for anytime off is like pulling teeth, you make a big fuss over anything and everything. Good luck keeping people with that attitude.

5. "Horrible"

I have been working at Peapod part-time

Pros

Some good people to work with - fun at times

Cons

Management is terrible, condescending - totally focused on the wrong thing. Playing favorites and treating you like a number and not a person. Really dirty work environment, wasting a ton of paper and plastic bags every day. Having you sign safety paperwork without reading it. Just terrible. Passed over for hours regardless of production just for people with tenure that dont work well, and admit they dont care anymore.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites and use some logic for gods sake. Reward the good employees not the tenured ones just because they are tenured.

6. "Warehouse Associate"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Hanover, MD
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Hanover, MD

Pros

Great pay excellent benefits very flexible

Cons

Needs better and more honest shift managers i was terminated for no fault of mine but of lying mangers and was told its my word against his i feel like if you going have these type of ppl running your company its not going to last long and more of your great employees will keep getting terminated in need of some serious honest workers

Advice to Management

Start getting rid of all your night shift mangers they are not honest they are getting rid of your best employees because they have there picks its not a great look on your company i enjoyed my employment there but i was lied on

"Wasn't the best or worse"

Former Employee - Warehouse Picker in Hanover, MD
    Former Employee - Warehouse Picker in Hanover, MD

I worked at Peapod (Less than a year)

Pros

The job pays ok. There are some management that want to help. There's no many pros sorry. If you want quick money then work there.

Cons

The jobs itself could be managed better. There are some great people there but the bad ones makes thing difficult. I hope corporate comes and weed out the ones that's treating people so bad. Your pay check are late or incorrect. They are some managers that talked down on the employee's. Like I said if they weed out the bad ones things will get better.

Advice to Management

Work together as a team. If you see another manager mistreating an employee don't turn the other cheek say something. Employee's work hard there be there support system .

8. "Delivery Driver"

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Lake Zurich, IL
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Lake Zurich, IL

I worked at Peapod full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent Pay, great benefits, pretty good co-workers.

Cons

Long hours, you may not always have a route, vindictive supervisors. They will run you into the ground and then discard you.

9. "Warehouse Lead"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Zurich, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Zurich, IL

I worked at Peapod full-time

Pros

Decent environment. Great place to start if you're looking to get your feet wet in the warehouse industry.

Cons

Pay is well below the medium for the warehouse industry. But as I said in the pros, if you're new to the warehouse industry and are looking to give it a shot, this would be a decent starting place.
    Expected to work too long in a shift. Its mandatory overtime and that usually means 11-12 hours a shift pretty much every shift. Get burnt out real quick.
    There are a few good leaders there but most of them have been working there too long and don't want to change or try new things which is hurting them.

Advice to Management

Understand that business is changing and adapt instead of shooting down every idea people have that are trying to help.

10. "Human Resources"

I worked at Peapod full-time

Pros

Growing company. opportunities for advancement

Cons

Difficult management team; difficult employees (union shop); poor work/life balance; grocery level pay (below market value)

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and they will take care of the business. Hire more supervisors!