Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Know what Trade you want to work in and why"

Current Employee - Marine Machine Mechanic Work Leader in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Marine Machine Mechanic Work Leader in Honolulu, HI

Pros

Mechanic Jobs pay well and it one of the few places were you can work for life and get a good retirement check.

Cons

They are a lot of skilled workers applying for Naval Shipyard jobs, so you might not get in the first time.

Advice to Management

Picks blue collar employees that enjoy working are a team who have good verbal and networking skills. But the best employees may not have good Math and English skills so if they make it to the interview please add them to are workforce.

2. ""Firefighting" with outdated equipment."

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Haleiwa, HI
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Haleiwa, HI

I have been working at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid overtime is available if you want to work it, PTO is also good. Most

Cons

Red tape and bureaucratic politics influence much of the decision making and work processes, often work is performed in a way that "checks all the boxes" and not because it is the best way to do it.

3. "Rewarding Career"

Current Employee - Resource Manager in Pearl Harbor, HI
    Current Employee - Resource Manager in Pearl Harbor, HI

I have been working at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard full-time

Pros

I've worked in different capacities at PHNSY&IMF; various lead production shop positions and in different support codes. The workforce is a mix of some of the brightest formally educated and non-traditionally educated people. Most have good hearts and strive to perform their best. Outside of Portsmouth, we exhibit the most teamwork and ingenuity. Workmanship is he best of all the shipyards public or private. Ship repair and maintenence is a rewarding career where one can feel they've contributed as a citizen to our nation's security.

Cons

We have all the right people in all the wrong places. PHNSY&IMF does not hires managers based on their managing skills or attributes but by either whos the best left standing with time in grade or who is most liked. Most of our department heads would be replaced in the private sector. All the performance shortcomings can be attributed to our senior leadership. Many managers are poor written communicators and non-effective oral communicators. Management has created an environment where the wrench turners are working in fear of the repercussions of making a mistake on the deckplates thus creating a hesitant and inefficient mechanic. My tech code has the highest turn over due to managers. I come to work mostly frustrated but ocassionally entertained by the level of ineptness we tolerate.

Advice to Management

Be thankful if you're under CSRS and think about the mess of a legacy you left behind to remedy in the next 1 to 3 years when you retire. Please transiton away from the practice of having an unofficial quota for hiring and promoting females. 100PI needs to go now. There has been no return on investment and is a massive overhead cost with little value added. We are ultimately not a for profit corporation nor have shareholders to answer to but think about Senator Inouye rolling in his grave.

5. "Meaningless job"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid overtime.
    Work is not meant to be overly stressful; you don't take your work home with you.
    There can be some interesting challenges.

Cons

You cannot do very much your first couple of months here.
    Work does not have very much meaning, as most problems that you need to solve have been solved in the past.
    You do not need an engineering degree to do the work here, and you don't actually do any engineering. As a result, you may lose any useful engineering skills that you learned in college. I don't believe that there is any marketable skill development here, which makes me think that it will be difficult retaining new hires for more than a year.
    I haven't heard anyone in the engineering department express that they actually like their job.

Advice to Management

Give employees an avenue to express concerns about the future of the shipyard, as well as how to better develop new engineers.

"Steady Stable Income, Caring Management"

Former Employee - Electronics Mechanic/Technician in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Electronics Mechanic/Technician in New York, NY

I worked at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for Code 950, Shop 67. The management is very family oriented, and empathetic and understanding of personal needs. If you are honest and cool headed, you will make nice friends and lasting relationships with co workers. There is also a lot of room and space for advancing up the chain and moving into places that best suit you. Worker safety is a TOP priority here. They encourage good relationships between management and worker, they encourage a learning system from the "bottom- up", a good work place environment and ethics.

Cons

Can be tiring, demanding, and dirty. Some work environments can be dangerous. Politics and social clicks sometimes form.

7. "Electronics Technician"

Current Employee - Electronics Technician in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Electronics Technician in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard full-time

Pros

My supervisors were extremely knowledgeable, and very flexible with my schedule while I also pursued my goals. I think because everyone was so helpful and flexible, employees strive to get jobs done faster and safer.

Cons

Not allowed to have cell phones at work, and administrative processes were not handled correctly.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, and always listen to your employee's needs.

8. "Overpaid Underworked Greedy SOB"

Former Employee - Apprentice in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Apprentice in Honolulu, HI

Pros

Awesome pay with lots of overtime if you can stand having a brown nose. Free supplies and tools from store room and warehouse. You just need to have a large enough bag to put things into, also you need to be able to have it go out a revolving gate. You get to ride a bike to and from jobsites, if you are really in good with the boss, you can get a golf cart. If you love to gossip this is the place to be. Lots of down time to catch up on your reading, sleeping, sudoku, and gambling (cards or fantasy football.) Easy to get disability pay.

Cons

When there is work, it's usually hazardous. If you're unskilled, inexperienced, and not with the in crowd, then expect to work. Expect to get injured at one or multiple times in your career due to RSI, stupidity of others, lack of planning, and outright negligence.

Advice to Management

Go fire yourselves. If there was a standardized skills test, I'm sure many of these people in management would fail (unless they hired a stand in.) Learn some people skills. Quit being so greedy, did you really need to come in on the weekend to watch your crew go to sleep on a supposed emergent job. Nepotism is bad so quit hiring your family members. Just because you can do powerpoint and massage a spreadsheet and graph in excel that does not qualify you as a supervisor.

9. "Typical Federal Job"

Current Employee - Nuclear Engineer in Pearl Harbor, HI
    Current Employee - Nuclear Engineer in Pearl Harbor, HI

I have been working at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Relaxed working environment.

Cons

Not the most interesting work.

10. "Mechanical engineer"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Pearl Harbor, HI
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Pearl Harbor, HI

I have been working at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent base salary, overtime is paid, and interesting challenges. Vacation time is decent and benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Poor management and unequal workloads. It's the kind of place where if you work hard you are rewarded with more work and if you work less or poorly you are given less to do with few consequences. Deficiencies with supervisors and managers often overlooked and not addressed due to red tape or general "that is just who they are" approach. People who perform poorly but want to climb the corporate ladder are often promoted to "get them out of the way" because firing or demoting is often more cumbersome. Often expected to work weekends.

Advice to Management

Don't let work leads or supervisors do whatever they want simply because they take on some of your work and make your job easier. Morale decreases dramatically when you overlook the bulk of your employees' happiness in exchange for higher productivity.

11. "people who work there are stupid and unmotivated."

Former Employee - Work Leader in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Work Leader in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard full-time

Pros

good money, really good benefits.

Cons

Bad work environment. There was a saying if your lazy, sleep a lot and do poor work you become the next supervisor.

Advice to Management

Stop taking government money and stop setting up jobs for the weekend overtime