Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Electronics Technician"

I have been working at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard full-time

Pros

It is a very positive learning environment. From the apprentice level all the way through SES.

Cons

HR is slow. Hiring process is cumbersome and long.

Advice to Management

Make the HR process better and accessible

2. ""Firefighting" with outdated equipment."

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Haleiwa, HI
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Haleiwa, HI

I have been working at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid overtime is available if you want to work it, PTO is also good. Most

Cons

Red tape and bureaucratic politics influence much of the decision making and work processes, often work is performed in a way that "checks all the boxes" and not because it is the best way to do it.

3. "1960s leadership style. The system is totally broken."

I worked at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard full-time

Pros

The mission is good. They noticed my potential and tried to give me opportunities to succeed.

Cons

There is a fundamental leadership problem in this place. Very frustrating to work. You try to change things but nothing happens.

Advice to Management

Stop creating "walking dead". Fire the bad blood. This includes managers. Stop trying the leadership fad of the month. Pretend you are bankrupt and you need to emerge from it successfully in order to survive.

4. "Nuclear Engineer"

I have been working at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard full-time

Pros

Your career will advance very quickly when you first start and there are many opportunities to become a mid level manager.

Cons

It becomes significantly more difficult to rise from the mid manager level to the senior manager level and your compensation does not grow very much.

Advice to Management

Work to develop younger employees so that they are more capable at not only their job but are also prepared for other jobs.

5. "Know what Trade you want to work in and why"

Current Employee - Marine Machine Mechanic Work Leader in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Marine Machine Mechanic Work Leader in Honolulu, HI

Pros

Mechanic Jobs pay well and it one of the few places were you can work for life and get a good retirement check.

Cons

They are a lot of skilled workers applying for Naval Shipyard jobs, so you might not get in the first time.

Advice to Management

Picks blue collar employees that enjoy working are a team who have good verbal and networking skills. But the best employees may not have good Math and English skills so if they make it to the interview please add them to are workforce.

"Rewarding Career"

Current Employee - Resource Manager in Pearl Harbor, HI
    Current Employee - Resource Manager in Pearl Harbor, HI

I have been working at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard full-time

Pros

I've worked in different capacities at PHNSY&IMF; various lead production shop positions and in different support codes. The workforce is a mix of some of the brightest formally educated and non-traditionally educated people. Most have good hearts and strive to perform their best. Outside of Portsmouth, we exhibit the most teamwork and ingenuity. Workmanship is he best of all the shipyards public or private. Ship repair and maintenence is a rewarding career where one can feel they've contributed as a citizen to our nation's security.

Cons

We have all the right people in all the wrong places. PHNSY&IMF does not hires managers based on their managing skills or attributes but by either whos the best left standing with time in grade or who is most liked. Most of our department heads would be replaced in the private sector. All the performance shortcomings can be attributed to our senior leadership. Many managers are poor written communicators and non-effective oral communicators. Management has created an environment where the wrench turners are working in fear of the repercussions of making a mistake on the deckplates thus creating a hesitant and inefficient mechanic. My tech code has the highest turn over due to managers. I come to work mostly frustrated but ocassionally entertained by the level of ineptness we tolerate.

Advice to Management

Be thankful if you're under CSRS and think about the mess of a legacy you left behind to remedy in the next 1 to 3 years when you retire. Please transiton away from the practice of having an unofficial quota for hiring and promoting females. 100PI needs to go now. There has been no return on investment and is a massive overhead cost with little value added. We are ultimately not a for profit corporation nor have shareholders to answer to but think about Senator Inouye rolling in his grave.

"If you have to..."

Pros

Very stable job in an expensive state.

Cons

As of 2016, a GS-13 manager is making $100K; highest salary range in the Shipyard is ~$160K. There is not a lot of room to grow as the top is very thin.

Senior management consistently fails to hold people accountable => underachievers retain their jobs.

"Prepare to wait to do nothing important"

I worked at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard full-time

Pros

Management is nonexistent - workers are all poorly educated and over exposed to the sunshine. Lots of surfing opportunities and you will be the smartest person there!

Cons

Tough to manage shift work sometimes, traffic is a pain, and learning to work with the military can be a challenge. In addition you will have to deal with the racism that pervades Hawaii.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping them fit to fight. There really is nothing to be done about it as government funded work will always be this way. But the racism could be addressed.

9. "Meaningless job"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid overtime.
    Work is not meant to be overly stressful; you don't take your work home with you.
    There can be some interesting challenges.

Cons

You cannot do very much your first couple of months here.
    Work does not have very much meaning, as most problems that you need to solve have been solved in the past.
    You do not need an engineering degree to do the work here, and you don't actually do any engineering. As a result, you may lose any useful engineering skills that you learned in college. I don't believe that there is any marketable skill development here, which makes me think that it will be difficult retaining new hires for more than a year.
    I haven't heard anyone in the engineering department express that they actually like their job.

Advice to Management

Give employees an avenue to express concerns about the future of the shipyard, as well as how to better develop new engineers.

"Steady Stable Income, Caring Management"

Former Employee - Electronics Mechanic/Technician in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Electronics Mechanic/Technician in New York, NY

I worked at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for Code 950, Shop 67. The management is very family oriented, and empathetic and understanding of personal needs. If you are honest and cool headed, you will make nice friends and lasting relationships with co workers. There is also a lot of room and space for advancing up the chain and moving into places that best suit you. Worker safety is a TOP priority here. They encourage good relationships between management and worker, they encourage a learning system from the "bottom- up", a good work place environment and ethics.

Cons

Can be tiring, demanding, and dirty. Some work environments can be dangerous. Politics and social clicks sometimes form.