Pearl Izumi Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Chris Sword

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Grass is not always greener..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO

I worked at Pearl Izumi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture. I had originally left Pearl iZumi because of the usual reasons, low pay, bad commute, and uncertain career growth. And since leaving, I have not been able to find a culture that comes close to Pearl iZumi. Even after 4 years, I miss the people and the environment at Pearl iZumi and had I known then, what I know now, I am not sure I would have left. You would think that working with elite athletes would foster an uber competitive environment, but mostly, I found the company and my co-workers to be engaging, open minded, and supportive of work-life balance.

Cons

As stated above, I left because of pay and uncertainty in career growth. Ultimately, with the increasing cost of living in Boulder/Denver area, the pay was not making it possible to make ends meet.

Advice to Management

It is important to maintain the fun, team-work focused, supportive culture that is Pearl iZumi. Employees are very loyal to the company and the brand because of it's fantastic culture, but when faced with increased cost of living and low pay, loyalty usually loses in that battle.

2. "Fun place to work"

I worked at Pearl Izumi full-time

Pros

Most employees are interested in health and fitness.

Cons

Not much room for career advancement, so turnover is high.

Advice to Management

Invest in training, and then make sure you compensate people who stay with the company instead of moving to another company for more money.

3. "Not so bad"

I worked at Pearl Izumi part-time

Pros

Flexible Schedule, Easy Hours, good working atmosphere

Cons

Weekends are almost always required, hard to call in sick sometimes, you really need to know the product

"Uninspiring."

I worked at Pearl Izumi full-time

Pros

Great coworkers (unfortunately bonding because of the low morale), good work/life balance, gym and trails at the office, beautiful building. Good place to learn and grow your skill set before finding a more rewarding opportunity elsewhere.

Cons

Be prepared to take a pay cut without negotiation if you go there. Very little transparency for the future of the business or your own professional development. Most management and executive team worked their way up from the hard goods cycling business decades ago- they are not qualified or experienced in managing a dynamic, successful apparel company. Old fashioned HR protects these leaders because of their loyalty/years of experience and does not make necessary changes to improve morale. For leadership, they hire based on who they can afford, not who's most qualified. There is no accountability. Uninspiring.

Advice to Management

Value your employees more than the bottom line. Treat them like people, not just part of the cog. Stop overworking your best employees and start making your worst employees accountable.

"Product"

Current Employee - Product in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Product in Louisville, CO

Pros

Ability to learn from all departments and move within company.

Cons

No advancement. Flat organization so you must find self motivation.

"Production Developer"

Former Employee - Product Developer
    Former Employee - Product Developer

I worked at Pearl Izumi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nobody actually works 40 hours here, unless you are hourly and have to punch the clock.

Cons

The turn-over rate at this company is extremely high for a reason! Get ready to be treated like a cog in the wheel and told someone in China can do your job better and cheaper.

Advice to Management

TERRIBLE! The worst I have ever seen. The management here is an example of what not to do.

7. "Great culture"

I have been working at Pearl Izumi full-time

Pros

Open and collaborative culture. Flexible schedules and great benefits.

Cons

there isn't a lot of growth opportunities in the retail division. Managers have been around along time, no one leaves!

8. "Good Company overall, but lack of direction"

Current Employee - Keyholder in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Keyholder in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Pearl Izumi (More than a year)

Pros

-Nice benefits if full time
    -Upper Management works hard to help everyone
    -Lower stress than most retail positions
    -Good discounts
    -Yearly bonus

Cons

-Upper Management has been cut down to less than 4 people in the past two years, and all extra work has been put on their shoulders
    -Pay is poor for what they expect of their employees, from part-time employees to store managers
    -Minimal organization on how stores should be run
    -Very little room to move up in company
    -Very behind in the times regarding technology
    -Understaffed everywhere
    -Retail locations are given strict and sometime contradictory rules, which makes employee's jobs harder

Advice to Management

Stop trying to put more work on the employees you have and hire others to do the job. Hire someone for online marketing and stop living in the past. Poor pay for your sales people makes your good employees leave and your company suffers. Set up a more consistent plan for your retail stores and be willing to pay for the talent you want. Letting yourself be undercut by third party retailers only hurts yourself in the long run.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Product Line Manager in Louisville, CO
    Former Employee - Product Line Manager in Louisville, CO

I worked at Pearl Izumi full-time

Pros

short hours, close to home, great people at my level

Cons

poor management, no corporate vision, disrespectful leadership. dated view of the industry and corporate culture.

Advice to Management

find new leadership

"Great for young people needing experience"

I worked at Pearl Izumi full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people that work here! Some of the most talented people I have ever met- especially in Speed Shop and Product Development Team. The atmosphere has a 'small company' feeling, depending on where you worked before. If you get the opportunity to travel, the experience is invaluable! Great for young professionals who are just getting started.

Cons

Management needs a lot of help. Managers do not advocate for their team, and tend to put a lot of pressure on team members, rather than supporting. Also, the entire leadership team is men. It is evident there is not a focus to support women in their careers and build them to be strong leaders. The salaries are very low compared to industry standard. There is also not a lot of opportunities for growth or promotion.

Advice to Management

The departments do not feel level in work load. Some departments work through lunch every day, while other team members take a 2 hour lunch bike ride. The leadership team needs to focus on women and how to create advancing opportunities for men and women. Mentors need be put in place and create a work environment of trust. A salary adjustment also needs to be made, if they want the talent to remain.