Pearle Vision Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Kerry Bradley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No benefits, no paid holidays or vacation (in 7 reviews)

• Low pay, Luxottica products only (in 5 reviews)

1. "Owner - Franchisee"

I have been working at Pearle Vision full-time

Pros

N/A. I don't have five words of pros.

Cons

If you aren't an experienced Optician or O.D., just say NO! The sales team gives you this amazing presentation and tells you how GREAT you are and how you're the "future of Pearle" and then after you sign up, leaves you in the dirt. Our experience has been awful and the lack of proper training is egregious. They can build you a fantastic store but then you are on your own. Ask about financial reporting systems, Monthly COGS, insurance percentage of business, insurance reimbursements, avg percentage of write offs from retail sales for insurance, how you can reconcile your invoices to your monthly statement (hint: you can't),etc. Get into the minutiae! Otherwise you will be screwed. This is not the franchise for the weak or optically inexperienced. We bought into this asking all the right questions (so we thought), doing our "due diligence" (so we thought), and researching thoroughly (so we thought). Now we're in debt to the tune of $600k and are damned well going to get through this on our own. Just don't expect anything from Pearle Vision after you give them their $30k-$46k franchise/design fees. Read and understand every, single word in the contract before you sign. Ask them to summarize your investment on a microscopic level - both as initial investment as well as ongoing monthly basis. Don't assume ANYTHING! Luxottica is absolutely awful.

2. "Horrible very big lying cheating & sneaky poor Quality of service & products"

I have been working at Pearle Vision full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Office is clean and nice equipment. Great Patients until they get screwed over .Good hours.

Cons

Lying cheating and giving poor quality of service and product

Advice to Management

Too many chiefs not enough indians

"1 star"

I worked at Pearle Vision full-time

Pros

I have no pros to list

Cons

Was treated like absolute garbage!

4. "This store is kind of hectic"

I worked at Pearle Vision full-time

Pros

I loved my co workers and our patients for the most part were great. It started as a fun job, and I got to make some amazing connections with people.

Cons

I felt very overwhelmed with all the 10,11, and 12 hour work days. I was continuously on the phone with insurance companies on top of doing the work of 5 people.

Advice to Management

Cross train your staff so one person doesn't get stuck knowing how to do everything.

"Awful"

Former Employee - Sales Staff in Toms River, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Staff in Toms River, NJ

I worked at Pearle Vision part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I liked my coworkers there

Cons

Management is awful and treats their employees like garbage. The owner would harass and belittle female employees. I worked there 10 years and had to beg for a 15 cent raise. They are selling crappy lenses to customers claiming they're varilux, but they're not!

6. "I was hired as a spy...."

Former Employee - Licensed Optician in Upper Darby, PA
    Former Employee - Licensed Optician in Upper Darby, PA

Pros

Zero ....I spent over 15 years of my life there and was thrown out like a piece of paper.

Cons

I was terminated for something that I was recorded saying without my knowledge. The manager said she didn't feel bad because" you are without chick nor child " meaning I assume because I am Gay without children. All of this is extremely illegal and I am now married and have stepchildren so I guess I am no longer a second class citizen. I could have filed charges on both the manager and the harlot who recorded me but I am a devote Christian . I would tell anyone to steer clear of this very unprofessional place of business.

Advice to Management

You can not cure what is wrong with this place unless the whole staff is replaced.

"Phony Bigets"

Former Employee - ABO Optician
    Former Employee - ABO Optician

I worked at Pearle Vision full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company has no insurance. the pay is salary so you can stay as long as your needed. Oh they love Holloween so you can dress up. (thats a big thing for them) this was one of the interview question"do you like holloween because we dress up). I guess that's more important then all the remakes they have.

Cons

The Owner Is a complete lier and the Manager is a Bigots with his rainbow socks (air force vet).
    the owner asked me to come work a day and would pay me. she never paid me.when i brought this up she acted surprise. The Manager doesn't know the difference between a vertical and horizonal measurement effect, but cuts lenses in the lab. The employment turn over is great. the owner can't afford to pay experience employee. So make them pay you.

But, to make it short the owner made me a job offer I excepted under different agreements that she excepted.
    the owner specifically know I was given my current employee two weeks notice that next business day. They called me at work, of course I didn't answer because it would have been rude and disrespectful, so i checked voicemail after work and called them back. They told me they decide on someone else.

If you decide to take any offer with this owner and manager, becaue both have been in business together for five years. They're Low Down and Dirty business people.

Ps the inventory is obnoxious. The frames are completely over the top.

Advice to Management

Karma on karma

"Not a fun place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Issaquah, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Issaquah, WA

I worked at Pearle Vision (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting work -- a lot of activity. The patients were all very nice.

Cons

Expectations are way to high for an entry level position. I was the front desk person, making minimum wage and was expected to know the entire job in less than 5 days. I was told that I wasn't allowed to speak to patients (i.e. asking about their day, etc) unless it's business only. No one is happy there. No one smiles and breaks are rarely given.

Advice to Management

These folks run a tight ship, but I think it's a little too tight. If you can't talk to the patients, how are you going to sell them glasses? I was told to verify insurance 3 days in advance, but by the time the patient comes in, the authorization is invalid causing more work to be done. The desk should be run by 2 people not just one. The office was so tense, as a patient, I wouldn't spend my money there.

9. "Poor Company"

Pros

I learned that this is not the company to go to if you need glasses. Go ANYWHERE else .

Cons

They are unorganized, rude, and are just trying to make a sale. They do not care about the customers, they only care about how much money they can take from you.

"Sales Associate/Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Manager in Greer, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Manager in Greer, SC

I worked at Pearle Vision (More than 3 years)

Pros

Continued learning opportunity for running a corporate to a franchise business.

Cons

Corporate to franchise=bad. lowered hours, decreased commissions, too many changes as far as software, prices, labs used, processes to follow. Customers never received their eyewear on time. The existing manager from corporate should never have been allowed to keep their position. just an awful degrading experience. Took the roll of Managing because the Gm was on a continued leave of absence for medical condition.

Advice to Management

Actually speak to the individuals who can make a difference not blow them off.