Pearle Vision Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 14, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kerry Bradley

Pros
  • Full time employees receive a free pair of glasses each year for themselves or a dependent (in 3 reviews)

• Flexible Hours, good work/ student life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits, no paid holidays or vacation (in 7 reviews)

• Low pay, Luxottica products only (in 5 reviews)

1. "I was hired as a spy...."

Former Employee - Licensed Optician in Upper Darby, PA
    Former Employee - Licensed Optician in Upper Darby, PA

Pros

Zero ....I spent over 15 years of my life there and was thrown out like a piece of paper.

Cons

I was terminated for something that I was recorded saying without my knowledge. The manager said she didn't feel bad because" you are without chick nor child " meaning I assume because I am Gay without children. All of this is extremely illegal and I am now married and have stepchildren so I guess I am no longer a second class citizen. I could have filed charges on both the manager and the harlot who recorded me but I am a devote Christian . I would tell anyone to steer clear of this very unprofessional place of business.

Advice to Management

You can not cure what is wrong with this place unless the whole staff is replaced.

"Not a fun place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Issaquah, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Issaquah, WA

I worked at Pearle Vision (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting work -- a lot of activity. The patients were all very nice.

Cons

Expectations are way to high for an entry level position. I was the front desk person, making minimum wage and was expected to know the entire job in less than 5 days. I was told that I wasn't allowed to speak to patients (i.e. asking about their day, etc) unless it's business only. No one is happy there. No one smiles and breaks are rarely given.

Advice to Management

These folks run a tight ship, but I think it's a little too tight. If you can't talk to the patients, how are you going to sell them glasses? I was told to verify insurance 3 days in advance, but by the time the patient comes in, the authorization is invalid causing more work to be done. The desk should be run by 2 people not just one. The office was so tense, as a patient, I wouldn't spend my money there.

"Sales Associate/Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Manager in Greer, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Manager in Greer, SC

I worked at Pearle Vision (More than 3 years)

Pros

Continued learning opportunity for running a corporate to a franchise business.

Cons

Corporate to franchise=bad. lowered hours, decreased commissions, too many changes as far as software, prices, labs used, processes to follow. Customers never received their eyewear on time. The existing manager from corporate should never have been allowed to keep their position. just an awful degrading experience. Took the roll of Managing because the Gm was on a continued leave of absence for medical condition.

Advice to Management

Actually speak to the individuals who can make a difference not blow them off.

5. "Optician/sales associate"

Former Employee - Apprentice Optician in Panama City Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Apprentice Optician in Panama City Beach, FL

I worked at Pearle Vision full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great hours. Paid weekly. Worked in Panama City beach, Fl. Nice location and meet really nice customers and coworkers in passing (due to the high turnover)

Cons

The denese manager was horrific. Megalomaniac on steroids extremely high turner over. No one lasted more than 90 days. The owner showed absolutely no interest in his staff. Not even the consideration of greeting them

Advice to Management

Asking the employees one on one about their concerns. At least pretend you're concern with the high turnover. Don't talk my word for it. I challenge you to contact previous employees and asked them why they left

6. "Optician or doctor tech"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Pearle Vision full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You work hard to receive a pay check.

Cons

You work mall hours, they want you to clean there toilet and hard wood floors and you don't have a permanent day off. The management is very harsh in tone and conversation which makes it hard to work for them. Their is no advancement but to leave. they have medical but no dental. Also they have a union you pay into every pay period. starting the for pay check.

Advice to Management

Change management, The attitude is poor.

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Springfield, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Springfield, NJ

I worked at Pearle Vision full-time

Pros

easy to get job If you are unemployed as there is always vacancy.

Cons

find new job soon while you are working. You will be fired soon as they have different philosophy . You will have bad record in your resume as you are laid off/ dismissed and will create time gap in your resume .if you are with Jey Eye inc. franchisee of Pearle Vision

"Pearle Vision Franchise Location"

Current Employee - Optician in Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - Optician in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Pearle Vision (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the coworkers are nice, laid back environment.

Cons

As a franchise, the store is run as a small business. The owner is present and in charge 6 out of 7 days a week & has the final say on everything. Raises & reviews are almost non existent, it takes years to get a 3% raise. Open 7 days a week, so weekend plans are out of the question. Benefits are too expensive for employees to even consider, also understaffed for reasons just mentioned, worker skill level also diminishing over years as most competent workers find better jobs.

Advice to Management

Not sure of any advice to give that would hit home. Treat employees like an asset instead of an expense & see if that brings in happier workers?

9. "Receptionist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I worked at Pearle Vision full-time

Pros

Provides availability for continuing professional training.

Cons

Very poor management. Very poor communication and training skills. No employee benefits. Unprofessional franchise. High employee turn over!

Advice to Management

COMMUNICATE with employees express interest with their concerns.!

"optician"

Former Employee - Optician in Mansfield, TX
    Former Employee - Optician in Mansfield, TX

I worked at Pearle Vision (More than a year)

Pros

good commission, ok pay, thats all

Cons

no structure. these are all technically private practice so there might be a better practice then the one i was at! horrible management! i experienced sexual harassment when i went to the owner they did nothing about because she didn't like confrontation. since its a franchise there was no one else i could go to!

Advice to Management

hire mew management

11. "associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orland Park, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orland Park, IL

I worked at Pearle Vision full-time

Pros

The coworkers are friendly. The patients are generally friendly and easy to work with.

Cons

The managers make the environment hostile. They are disrespectful and will threaten with terminstion for simple mistakes. The hours are also terrible with 6-10.5 hour shifts, with most shifts at 9-10.5 hours a day. The turnover rate is incredibly high.

Advice to Management

The better you treat your employees the better out come you'll get. Have some respect for your employees as individuals and encourage them to do we'll rather than putting them down excessively. Instead of being.abrasive and condescending, show the same kindness you show to your customers to your employees.