Pearson Reviews in London, England | Glassdoor

Pearson CEO John Fallon
John Fallon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Difficult to maintain work life balance (in 49 reviews)

• During the last 4 years upper management changes too many times (in 104 reviews)

1. "Overall Package"

Former Employee - Ops Director in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Ops Director in London, England (UK)

I worked at Pearson full-time

Pros

Flexible package, good basic salary

Cons

Bonus is gone for the next few years while they continue to restructure

"Overall not bad"

Current Employee - Product Management in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Product Management in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Pearson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some great people
    Interesting sector- meaningful
    People genuinely care about education
    Global reach- opportunity to move around up and across and into different areas
    Good benefits

Cons

Slow pace - both in terms of seeing change and also people's attitudes to work, you can get away with doing bare minimum
    Lots of change all the time, there's never enough time to see if something is working before it changes again

Advice to Management

Get a strategy and stick to it for 3 years
    Reward your staff and they will work harder for you
    Stop stifling opportunities to grow by making so many big cuts all the time - there's little we can do with no money

3. "Worth the intern."

Former Intern - Project Coordinator in London, England (UK)
    Former Intern - Project Coordinator in London, England (UK)

I worked at Pearson as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

good work life balance. enjoyed it

Cons

sometimes you stay longer than usual

"Passionate people bad leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Pearson full-time

Pros

Very talented and passionate workforce dedicated to creating and delivering high quality learning products. Strong organisational culture and values. Flexible work practices. Lovely offices.

Cons

Salary not competitive and benefits lagging behind. Complex and hierarchical structure. Due to constant reorganization workforce is very stretched and demotivated. Limited career progression - more who you know than on merit. Leadership out of touch and seemingly not accountable for their actions. Filtered communication

Advice to Management

"Always learning", should be "always changing". Pearson was a great company and one to be proud of. Now its constant change, disruption and waste. Reflect on journey to date and get the basics right before launching into yet another change programme.

"They don't pay you!"

Current Contractor - Examiner in London, England (UK)
    Current Contractor - Examiner in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Pearson as a contractor

Pros

The team leader I had was nice

Cons

Worked here as an examiner at it was immensely stressful.

1) I couldn't register my pay details for 2 months, and nobody at the call centre would/could help because the 'systems [were being] updated'.

2) This meant late payment.

3)Then they only paid me for half the work I'd done - more emails and lengthy phone calls to the call centre.

4) The I.T is a joke. You can only mark for Pearson if you have Windows 7 and internet explorer 11. Their marking website is not compatible with any other operating system or browser.

5) So many problems with the online stuff - and I spent hours with staff of varying competence of the phone.

I highly recommend you go work for AQA, or WJEC. I would never work for Pearson Edexcel again - it was so time consuming and stressful, and I still don't know if I'll get paid for the work I've done!

Advice to Management

1. Pay your staff according to the contract, and punctually
    2. Sort out the dreadful IT systems

6. "Pearson Review"

Former Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Pearson (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere and people, large organisation, fast-paced and wide range of products. Always busy and something happening. Good pension and shares scheme.

Cons

Communication is not the best, very hierarchical and constant restructures seem to be taking place.

Advice to Management

Build management skills, more training required. Provide progression opportunities for hard workers. Communicate better, more frequently and more honestly.

7. "Low morale and limited options"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in London, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in London, England (UK)

I worked at Pearson as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The people as individuals are great, but there's not much chance to work cross-functionally, and visibility of what's happening across the business is really limited.
    Strong focus on social impact.
    Good commitment to company values.
    Good location.

Cons

Management are driving change at the expense of morale, largely because information is drip-fed, so people rarely know where they stand.
    There's little chance to progress and develop - if you want to move up you move out.
    For a learning company there's very little opportunity for career development; even providing access to company products to learn a language would be a welcome benefit, but you're expected to be in charge of your own development.
    Your experience of the company is defined by your manager - some people have a great team who are mindful of the work/life balance, while others have unfair expectations that are infamous for - but continue to be allowed to - push their teams to breaking point.

Advice to Management

Give people the opportunity to grow and develop through a *structured* training program.
    Increase visibility of what other teams are doing to give people more exposure to different parts of the business.
    Recognise that high turnover is usually a sign of management or personnel issues.

"Great people bad senior management"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in London, England (UK)

I worked at Pearson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great colleagues who truly support each other and work hard under difficult circumstances. Interesting field to work in and engaged customers.

Cons

The senior leadership really need to stop driving this company into the ground. Could go back to the glory days if they just let the excellent staff work freely to achieve their goals.

Advice to Management

If the team were profitable year on year without your intervention and are now behind target after your intervention perhaps it is time to realise that draconian measures do not work. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

"MyCloud Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

Good people. lots of equipment and quite easy to request extra monitors, PCs etc.
    Coffee making facilities and central office location.

Cons

Poor pay, too corporate.
    There is a pervasive feeling that the firm is in decline after having sold the financial time and the economist magazine.
    Dont sell your best assets!!

"Was great to work in but increasingly more challenging"

Current Employee - Content and Learning Specialist in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Content and Learning Specialist in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Pearson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back environment, excellent holiday entitlement, flexible working hours and supportive colleagues.

Cons

Too much dependency on the business unit and performance in the states- even though we in the UK education unit are performing above targets, we still get very little bonuses or other recognition of our achievements. Too much inner politics that makes rising internally within the company very difficult.

Advice to Management

Please stop trying to be 'one Pearson' when it comes to getting rid of all our benefits. We should focus on our individual strengths instead.

Showing 108 of 2,670 reviews