Pearson Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Pearson CEO John Fallon
John Fallon

Pros
Cons
  • Also when it is the peak season, it is really hard to keep a work life balance (in 43 reviews)

• Upper management is clueless of the day to day (in 93 reviews)

"Formerly one of the top NYC metro companies to work for"

Former Employee - IT Manager
    Former Employee - IT Manager

I worked at Pearson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great work life balance, lots of enthusiasm and energy, products and services to be proud of.

Cons

Constant re-orgs, outsourcing, severe staff slashes. Very stressful environment, constant pressure to meet goals with staff that is either apathetic, concerned for thier jobs, or consultant/staff that is constantly changing. Reviews from the Education community are an embarrassment. Has become a sad place.

Advice to Management

Focus on digital education.

"Used to be great"

Former Employee - Manager in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Manager in Iowa City, IA

I worked at Pearson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My immediate team was great, and we were working on some very forward-thinking work.

Cons

Upper management has completely destroyed the company, and the employee morale. There is no direction, no conviction to follow-through on anything, and everyone knows it.

Advice to Management

Quit. Just quit, and let someone competent take over. Please.

3. "A company that needs radical change"

I have been working at Pearson full-time

Pros

Team environment and level of knowledge and dedication

Cons

Top leadership and Board continue avoid diversification, which allows for major headwinds year over year when aging technology continues to show signs of breakdown.

Advice to Management

Reinvent our company not our brand.

"Sales"

I worked at Pearson full-time

Pros

Great people and top talent in the industry, strong compensation and benefit plan

Cons

Instability due to frequent re-orgs, senior leadership does not have realistic expectations or realistic market insight, technology is behind, too much recycled content and poor customer service department

Advice to Management

I have plenty, but I don't think they would listen to it. They want to hear what they want to hear and not what reality is.

"Sales - Needs A lot of Improvement"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA

I worked at Pearson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The location of the office is great.

The clients you work with are delightful.

The representative that they higher are good people.

Cons

Commission structure is awful and not paid on time

Goals are never given on time, they usually give it to you about the same day you get your commission

Management doesn't understand that morale is low in the office

Bad communication from the higher ups

They keep losing people to better paying jobs

The company doesn't treat employees well

No professional development in this company

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, stop blaming everything that goes wrong on the staff or people that left the company. The issue is coming from inside the company starting with higher ups and management. Treat employees better and with respect.

"Communications Manager"

Former Employee - Communications Manager in Hoboken, NJ
    Former Employee - Communications Manager in Hoboken, NJ

I worked at Pearson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a great mission and the staff from around the world really feel like the work they are doing can make a difference. Great work/life balance with many managers allowing people to to WFH.

Cons

Years of reorganization has eroded morale. Leadership is in survival mode and are more interested in protecting their own jobs than finding ways to truly make the company shine. Very slow to innovate. Approval processes are long and tedious due to so many people wanting/feeling the need to to contribute (therefore protecting their own jobs as they become part of the "team").

Advice to Management

Find a reorganization plan and stick to it. Let the plan play out before abandoning it for another reorganization plan that seems better, as so far that hasn't worked. Everyone understands the need for layoffs, but it should be across the board including non-performing managers. Open your eyes and really see where the productivity and successes are and will be, and stop living in the past.

"Going down hill"

I worked at Pearson full-time

Pros

I worked with some wonderful, smart, dedicated people, some of whom I am still in touch with. The people in my division, anyway, were always willing to help one another and worked together as a team to produce a quality end product.

Cons

The higher-ups at the company don't seem to care about those who work for them. Decisions are made with seemingly no thought as to what the consequences will be for those who have to implement them. They introduce buzz words like efficacy and yet keep procedures in place that do not foster efficacy in any way. It's as if the buzz words will somehow cover up for their lack of talent. By the time I left it seemed as though quality was taking a back seat to profit. Spending that sort of capital is a Bad Idea.

Advice to Management

Take a moment to talk to, and really listen to, your employees. They have some great ideas and insights. Stop trying to run the company into the ground.

"Good For the Unambitious"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Pearson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Simple Responsibilities, ability to WFH when needed, standard set of benefits and up to 4.5% match with the 401k, central location in Back Bay allows for straight-forward commute.

Cons

Outdated and inefficient production systems, consistently late deliverables, miles of red tape, lack of career advancement, notoriously low salaries in the publishing industry, you're literally a cog in the machine that's quite easy to replace.

"Content and Scoring Support"

Current Contractor - Content and Scoring Support in Kent, WA
    Current Contractor - Content and Scoring Support in Kent, WA

I have been working at Pearson as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, must use your brain for problem solving, critical thinking and analysis on a daily basis.

Cons

Unpredictable scheduling. Opportunity for bonus can be taken away at a moments notice.

Advice to Management

Management is great here.

"Needs a complete overhaul"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Pearson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pearson employees are truly the best in the business! There are great health insurance options.

Cons

The whole company needs a major overhaul. The industry is changing and Pearson is not changing fast enough. The rep job has become almost impossible. We work nonstop many months of the year and are not being paid at all near what we deserve. It is almost impossible to make a bonus anymore. The technology is good, but there are just too many issues in the market and Pearson hasn't adapted.

Advice to Management

Completely start over. Like, at the beginning of time.

Showing 477 of 2,426 reviews