Pearson Reviews | Glassdoor

Pearson CEO John Fallon
John Fallon

2,345 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Difficult to maintain work life balance (in 45 reviews)

• During the last 4 years upper management changes too many times (in 102 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great comapny with fantatsic benefits. Very inovative for a publisher. Employees seem very happy and proud

Cons

None. It is really a great company

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

"I absolutely love Pearson. You won't get rich, but then, you should already know that if you want to work in publishing."

Current Employee - Assistant Editor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Editor in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Almost all the people are good, smart, caring people. Every manager I've worked for genuinely cares about me and my professional development.
    Also has loads of benefits: 401(k), tuition reimbursement, scholarships for your kids, discounts on phone plans and auto purchases, and more that I can't remember.

Cons

The salary is not ideal for the cost of living in San Francisco and is generally very low for a white-collar, college-educated industry.

Advice to Management

THANK YOU for all the great work you do to make Pearson a great place to work.

3. "A great organization with some communication and internal challenges"

Current Employee - Senior Implementation Consultant in Addison, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Implementation Consultant in Addison, IL

Pros

Pearson is a great organization to work for. Management is outstanding, exec leadership are involved and aware of goings-on and interact with front-line employees frequently. There are several visionary folks throughout the organization and while they are loosely organized (see: Yammer), they are able to help shape and shift the organization. I would heartiliy recommend Pearson!

Cons

There are challenges, as there are in any large organization, particularly around innovation and challenging the status quo. It's not quite the monolith that IBM or other Blue Chip organizations are, but there are times that change comes slowly (if at all). Internal shared services are less than ideal. The green initiatives have not yet reached HR/payroll services and certainly not accounts payable.

Advice to Management

Find your visionaries, link them better, listen to them more closely. Pay attention to your customers, find a way to sift out some of the chaff (it does still exist).

5. "Satisfying and great opportunity for advancement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

Pros

The work-life balance is great and I feel better about any challenges that may come up because I know that Pearson would work with me to find the best solution possible.

Cons

Program Management requires on-the-job training that works best if you have a veteran/well-versed employee as a mentor. If you don't have good people to teach you the ropes, you won't do as well.

"Solid performing company providing decent technology challenges and good work-life balance."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

Pros

Proven product, continued growth through the recession. Decent technology investment, emphasis on absorbing new practices (agile, lean) even if it means change, and movement towards new technologies. Technology closer to the business domain than most organizations. Less chaotic than companies of similar and larger size.

Cons

Not always as strategic, tends towards opportunistic approach to business and tech development. Structure creates entanglements of large groups needing to be involved on decisions but improvements underway.

Advice to Management

Good employees make the difference. Keep high standards for recruiting, and identify ways to expand efforts to develop employees and reward solid work.

7. "Satisfied"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist

Pros

Pearson is a great company to work for and the benefits are great. I've been working at Pearson for almost three years now, working on my second promotion. Management is very competent and easy to work for.

Cons

The disconnect and animosity between divisions.

8. "Very professional and respectful"

Current Employee - Clinical Developer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Clinical Developer in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Benefits
    opportunity to grow academically & professionally

Cons

Company needs to look for talented people within the same company.

9. "Like this company and the people that work here"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

While this is a large company there are many small teams that we interact with, and people have been there for many years, so there is a real sense of collegiality. Very nice people, none of the arrogance I've experienced at some of the start-ups I have worked at.

I work in systems, and they are very complex and it takes many months to sort things out. But the people involved are very patient, very smart, and very willing and ready to help out. Often people are located somewhere else, so there are lots of conference calls with people we may never meet.

I have years of experience and found there was real age discrimination with some of the companies I interviewed with - but not here. They welcome the experience, and there are many people my age or older here. A very nice change.

My manager is great, very knowledgeable, really cares about the team and doing a first class job. Just very, very busy, but still able to make time when needed.

I like this company and the people that work here.

Cons

It's a big company, so it has the downsides that come with that (lots of admin systems, sometimes hard to figure out who does what).

10. "Test Admin"

Current Employee - T/A in Johnson City, TN
    Current Employee - T/A in Johnson City, TN

Pros

Very easy,Pay attention to detail

Cons

Long days and long shifts

Advice to Management

Too many passwords

"Good benefits"

Current Employee - Editorial Assistant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Editorial Assistant in Boston, MA

Pros

Great benefits, flexibility in work hours, summer hours, raises every year with opportunities for bonuses, company provided tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Pay wasn't great, but that's expected at a publishing company. Felt pushed towards sales.

Advice to Management

Provide more career advice for all the young talent you have in the office.

Showing 2,345 of 2,530 reviews