Pearson Reviews | Glassdoor

Pearson CEO John Fallon
John Fallon

2,345 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Difficult to maintain work life balance (in 45 reviews)

• During the last 4 years upper management changes too many times (in 102 reviews)

1. "Great place to work, but unstable"

Former Employee - Learning Solutions Associate
    Former Employee - Learning Solutions Associate

I worked at Pearson full-time

Pros

- Flexible management (although this may depend on department)
    - Good benefits
    - Work from home opportunities
    - Great pay

Cons

The only con is that the company is re-branding and reorganizing, which means layoffs. Lots of uncertainty across the company

Advice to Management

Be more transparent about the future as it relates to each group in the company

2. "Great people, great environment, great benefits!"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Pearson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of former teachers, so most of my peers are creative, intelligent and caring, with a sense of a higher calling to help others succeed. There is a true loving, family feeling here and we take care of each other even away from work (have dinner, watch each other's pets, pick up from airport, etc.) The CEO (who lives in London) comes to San Antonio to talk with us and get feedback! Benefits are amazing!

Cons

Lots of re-org in the two years since I've been here. The base salary of 40K needs to be higher

Advice to Management

Really listen and acknowledge suggestions from employees, then implement them. If you cannot implement them, let us know why

"I wouldn't bother :("

Current Employee - IT Program Manager in Holborn, England (UK)
    Current Employee - IT Program Manager in Holborn, England (UK)

I have been working at Pearson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is 'some' flexibility to manage your own workload.
    There are still some really great people left you might be lucky enough to work with.

Cons

1. Reorganisations are common place, and happen almost every few months now.
    2. Pay is laughable, it averages about 30-40% below the market average (The same role in another awarding body like C&G or AQA pays at least £5k more per year!)
    3. Teams are being 'outsourced' left right and centre, mad redundant in London then recreated in significantly cheaper areas (Such as South Yorkshire, or Manilla)
    4. The people with the loudest voices are often the ones that get the best deals, if you end up in a team where your manager doesn't have a 'voice' then don't expect a decent pay rise/bonus/praise for good work or a job well done
    5. 2016 pay rise was 1%. Bonus was 0 because the finance team over estimated our financial targets, not by 5-10% but by a massive 25%! As a result of THEIR incompetence the entire company lost out on a bonus.
    6. After the debacle in 2016 over finance targets we were told that this year would be different and the targets were 'Much lower', we still missed them massively...... Yet our CEO was given more than £345,000 (44% of his annual base salary) whilst some in the business got nothing whatsoever even though they may have 'Met' or 'Exceeded' expectations
    7. 2017 pay rise was 2% (Below the current rate of inflation at the time) despite being told all that 2017 would see ‘inflation beating pay rises’
    8. If you apply for a new role within the company, you are restricted to a 10% pay rise rule – This means that if you are on £40k per year, and the salary for the new role is £45-£50k, the most you could get would be £44k.
    However, if the role is offered to someone external, the MINIMUM they would get is £45k
    9. If you are in a position of responsibility then you will be expected to work outside of your core hours, this is absolutely expected and your manager will make your life hell if you try to only work your contracted hours
    10. If you’re asked to travel for work (Between offices in the UK, overseas etc.) you are expected to travel on your own time, e.g. if you are asked to go to Manchester from London, you will be expected to travel either at 6am (train) and start work when you arrive in the office, or if you are staying overnight you will be expected to work the full day in London then travel out of hours, the same is true when you are returning
    11. NOBODY has any confidence in John Fallon, in 5 years as CEO we have had 4 profit warning; our share price has been as high as £15.50 per share but under him it’s barely able to get above £6.20 now
    12. The company is not willing to invest in its products, instead it brings in 3rd party companies to build a basic platform and then we have to find a way to make it work, systems like examWizard or ResultsPlus haven’t been funded for years and they’re now planning to shut down ResultPlus Direct (this is the student results access portal) because ‘it’s not that popular’.
    IT’S NOT POPULAR BECAUSE YOU WON’T INVEST IN IT!
    I could write a dozen more points to highlight why this is the last place you should work, but what’s the point!? This is a company that lost its way when they decided to sell off the FT/Penguin, a company THAT short-sighted can’t be expected to do very well, I’ll just wait for the private equity firms to come and take us over and close us down for good…..

Advice to Management

1. Vote John Fallon out
    2. Start investing in the products we have that have potential (QMA/ReusltsPlus/examWizard)
    3. Start listening to the people working for you instead of making decisions with your fingers in your ears going 'La La La La La'

5. "Test Admin"

I worked at Pearson part-time

Pros

Very easy job that paid above min wage. Very straight forward. Low stress.

Cons

Very boring. Jon is too watch people take tests. Management has strict rules to follow to the dot. Not allowed to bring a book at look at phone while people take tests. As a result gets very boring. Few hours.

Advice to Management

Allow more freedom to employees. Employees are competent and can handle difficult situations. To reduce turnover they should give more hours and allow reading.

"Well-intentioned company going through challenging times"

I have been working at Pearson full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People who work here truly believe that they want to make a difference in education
    Generally a friendly environment
    Heavy hitter in its industry with the benefits that brings
    Great sector
    Very flexible working - can work from home etc. Very results driven rather than driven by face time.

Cons

Recent restructuring has hugely adversely impacted morale
    A change in culture has resulted, with less of a "community" feel, and more uncertainty
    Employees don't really have faith in current CEO, given recent performance and the big shoes he had to fill when former CEO retired (who was enormously popular). He is trying to keep his job and has no long term vision for the business and employees can see this.
    Unclear where growth is going to come from and whether more restructuring is going to go ahead

Advice to Management

Value your people. It is a difficult time and HR hasn't handled the impact of the restructuring well. Good people are planning to leave as they are no longer inspired and they are tired of the uncertainty.

"Poor, poor, poor."

I worked at Pearson full-time

Pros

The people are great
    There can be flexible working options

Cons

Unfair pay
    Very poor senior management
    Lack of strategic management and leadership
    Cost cutting comes before quality
    Management unreceptive to employee feedback
    IT systems are very outdated

Advice to Management

Look at the poor staff retention and identity ways to resolve it!
    Address the issue of unfair pay (other than saying "get another job".
    Employ some sort of strategy - in some areas of the business the attitude is 'just get on with it' which lacks strategic direction.

"Run by a souless corporation, constant layoffs"

Former Employee - Various in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Various in Denver, CO

I worked at Pearson full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, flexible work conditions

Cons

Ran by a souless corporation that cares more about stock holders than it's employees. Constant layoffs and restructuring. Poor salaries way below industry standard. Expects current employees to take on multiple roles during layoffs with same pay. Company is in a downward spiral. Senior management treats it's employees like cattle.

"Decent for a while"

I worked at Pearson full-time

Pros

I was able to work on different projects; travel periodically, and work from home.

Cons

Certain benefits were changed without notice; too much bureaucracy; too many reorgs

Advice to Management

During reorgs, take time to assess employees skills so they are constantly shifted.

"The next Kodak..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Pearson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I had been with Pearson on and off for the past 20 years. I gained valuable knowledge and experiences there, and I had the opportunity to work with some exceptional people and talent.

Cons

The publishing industry as a whole has been in steep decline over the past 5 years, if not longer. Pearson created new business models in an effort to keep their main business in higher education sustainable. However, due to poor management and in-fighting among very senior management in the US, they removed most of these other business models, which were bringing in millions of dollars, in an effort for what one can only view as "going back to the basics." Unfortunately, this company's future is very dim, as they are now on a ride to be the next Kodak. In the most recent lay-off in March 2017, they let go of approximately 100+ people, and they have left customers hanging and they have no idea how to fix or address outstanding commitments and on-going issues. If you are in a sales position, they are extremely coy about paying out bonuses fairly, and will try to move you and/or your team to a services model, where you would only be able to receive a mediocre annual incentive plan over a traditional sales incentive bonus. Politics abound everywhere. It is rare to find a manager that will groom you, as they are all looking out for themselves in an effort to climb the corporate ladder an escape from the next lay off. Lastly, it is very difficult to get promoted at Pearson. They will often dangle a new position with additional responsibilities to you without ever changing your title or compensation. Get EVERYTHING in writing.

Advice to Management

It's great that the internal in-fighting has been removed, however it is unfortunate that it was ever allowed to occur. (Internal competition was encouraged for years and years by one of the former executives of North America, and in recent years the internal competition that was allowed resulted in the most recent layoff). To the new president in North America, you are between a rock and a hard place. People have offered their insights and opinions based on either their limited view of Pearson and how their organization or team fits in as a larger piece of the puzzle, and/or you have been blind-sided by management team members that only tell 1/2 truths. Other companies and customers are talking about Pearson, they are rolling their eyes... If you really want to go back to basics, start with why Pearson exists. What was it associated with? Why did customers in the past always come back? Put employees first again instead of the shareholders. It can still be a win-win --- happy employees make happy customers, which means return business, which will mean happy shareholders.

11. "Pearson"

I have been working at Pearson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good in career growth
    More opportunities
    Education industry to serve for society

Cons

Lack of growth of the company
    Too many changes
    Company long run sustainability

Advice to Management

Keep simple and not try multiple cganges

Showing 2,345 of 2,530 reviews