Pearson Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2,585 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Difficult to maintain work life balance (in 50 reviews)

• During the last 4 years upper management changes too many times (in 108 reviews)

"Account General Manager"

I worked at Pearson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Outstanding peers. Majority of colleagues are passionate and driven.

Cons

Management. Across the board. Executives, sales, product, marketing, etc. Many are so far removed from the front lines they don't understand what's needed in the classroom, let alone how to motivate the employees. The communication across the company is the worst I've ever seen. Supposedly they evaluated the K-12 BU back in May and were supposed to announce a decision to reinvest, partner, or sell within 8 weeks. Still waiting on that announcement......... The sales organization is a joke. They haven't done anything innovative in decades. Same old, same old. The industry is changing dramatically, getting more and more competitive. New entrants into the market can make an exceptional product with much less overhead than the 3-4 top publishers. Customers need agile, adaptive vendors who can meet their ever changing needs. Pearson is not it. If you're looking for a long, prosperous career, you'll want to look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Learn how to communicate and be transparent with your workforce. Get some true sales training for the sales force. Learn how to build relationships and trust with your customers. Work to understand the customer's needs, not how you can position your product(s). Sales tactics from 2000 don't work. Quit trying to be everything to every customer. Invest in products and services that actually make an impact and meet students needs. Oh, and replace the executive leaders. Until you get leaders who not only have new ideas but can make tough decisions (looking at the failure that is Pearson System of Courses) you'll be stuck in this downward spiral you're on. Good luck.

"Low-stress sales job. Not a whole lot of career growth upside"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Albany, NY

I worked at Pearson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some definite pluses of a sales role with Pearson. The people you work with on a day to day are mostly great- colleagues and professors. Most managers are pretty hands off and allow you your independence, as long as you are doing the job. Goals seem reasonable, but also seem difficult to really predict and work towards in a focused way. Company car, expense card, fun district meetings.

Cons

Didn't feel like there was much of a way for me to advance my career and earn significant pay raises, but then again, this is not the most lucrative field, especially in the current environment. I felt like I was all but guaranteed more money in commissions, but so many factors were completely out of m y control that I ended up getting only half of what I expected. There is a big lag in results and how they are measured. Big company so you feel very small. I once was not paid a commission and had to wait until the next paycheck to receive it which hurt my family.

Advice to Management

you're a big company, but try to remember that employees have families. Don't take FOREVER to credit sales and pay commission. If you make a mistake, take care of it quickly. Don't tell the employee to wait for the next pay cycle. Give employees a clear path to growth and more money.

"Still bailing water"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoboken, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoboken, NJ

I worked at Pearson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are really good compared to other places. Almost 100% dollar for dollar match on up to 6% of 401k

Cons

Pay is below average, company still doing massive layoffs since 2013

4. "So far so good"

Current Employee - Writing Tutor
    Current Employee - Writing Tutor

I have been working at Pearson part-time

Pros

Helping students has helped me to take a better look at my resume. You get to accumulate sick time as a part time employee. You're constantly receiving feedback from your lead to help you become better.

Cons

Tutors are not full time.

Advice to Management

N/a

"Company is going through hard time. Several lay offs and re-orgs."

Current Employee - Software Developer in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at Pearson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are lucky, then you will be in a good team where you can learn new technologies. There are opportunities to learn.

Cons

Company is going through re-org and re-structuring. You do not know the future of company.

"Too Many Reorganizations"

Former Employee - Account Representative in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Account Representative in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Pearson (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people and benefits, decent training

Cons

Poor vision and direction. Way too many Reorganizations and layoffs.

Advice to Management

Pick a plan and stick with it.

7. "Decent company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hadley, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hadley, MA

I worked at Pearson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work culture, excellent colleagues

Cons

Leadership lacks appreciation for the hard work of employees

Advice to Management

Listen to employees

"Collaborative with Minimal Pay"

Former Employee - Senior Rich Media Content Producer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Rich Media Content Producer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pearson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Creativity and brainstorming are highly encouraged. Colleagues are easy to approach and speak with. All ideas are welcome.

Cons

Salary is very much below industry range. There is too much red tape, bureaucracy, and stifling corporate standards. Pearson calls itself a technology company, but in reality, it is a publishing company with side media products.

Advice to Management

Please provide some flexibility in creating new and inventive products. Reduce the amount of red tape required to offer useful, excellent products. Be more transparent in the goals of the company, be more creative on how to generate review, and estimate goals more accurately so that the company does not appear to meet its goals every year.

"Marketing Research Analyst"

I have been working at Pearson full-time

Pros

Some employees have been with the company for many years and they have a wealth of knowledge.

Cons

Lack of communication, poor leadership, lack of company culture. Turnover has been high for the past six months and very few changes have been made to address the situation.

Advice to Management

Change starts with leadership. And if those in leadership aren't willing to change then turnover will continue to increase. Listen to your employees...especially those that have been with the company for a long time.

10. "Enjoying Pearson so far"

Current Employee - IT Operations Analyst
    Current Employee - IT Operations Analyst

I have been working at Pearson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits, good work-life balance, appreciate the company's stance on social equality, and enjoy the people I work with/for.

Cons

Only complaint is the red tap and bureaucracy nonsense you have to go through to have requests completed. I find that communication between teams can be lacking due to the large size and complexity of the company

Advice to Management

Work more on communications between teams and better collaboration with all departments that work on a product.

Showing 2,585 of 2,804 reviews