Pearson Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Pearson CEO John Fallon
John Fallon

Pros
Cons
  • Difficult to maintain work life balance (in 47 reviews)

• During the last 4 years upper management changes too many times (in 105 reviews)

"Pearson pays men more than women"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pearson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pearson makes a pretty good product.

Cons

I helped a male friend with no outside sales experience get an interview and helped him prep for that interview. I had 10 years of outside sales experience at the time in the industry and they offered him a $30K higher salary than I was being paid.

Advice to Management

Merit pay, not gender pay.

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pearson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great services and products, Decent work/home life balance

Cons

Constant reorganizations and layoffs. Compensation and goals/quota finalized and provided mid year. Everyone just positioning themselves for the next round of layoffs and reorganizations.

Advice to Management

Value the employees as well as the customer. Pearson is not too big to fail.

"SSE"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer - Architect - ECourses in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Good technologies, experience dependent on project/group

Cons

limited to single group, work-life balance dependent on group, average benefits.

"Editor"

Former Employee - Editor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Editor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pearson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company is filled with smart, creative people who care about what they do.

Cons

Pearson is a big corporation going through lots of changes. Emphasis on testing has hurt the company's reputation.

Advice to Management

Turn your focus away from high stakes testing and back towards creating great teaching products.

"Lost its way"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pearson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great colleagues and noble vision that they can't execute. Used to be a great place to work. Good benefits, good bonus, but all that is give like tea in a harbor.

Cons

London mismanaged and missed opportunities. Didn't have a chance if you didn't have a British or some European accent with only a few exceptions.

Advice to Management

Move the power center to the US and hire technologists and finish building the education platform you should have done five years ago. Making a digital copy of a book is not innovative. Stop making up acronyms for programs that everyone is expected to remember and know what the goal and function is when many times it's all bs. Stop rewarding failure and spitting on the people who facilitate success by maintaining your work environment. These people when given the chance could give you an idea that could help the company immensely but you don't listen so really who cares. Loved this company and wish it well but why do I have the feeling it will be bought up and sold for parts in the next few years.

"Where's the loyalty"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pearson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Fair Salary
    - Work/Life balance

Cons

Plenty....
    -No advancement opportunities, not in position or raises.
    -No raise in 3 years. The company is making millions every year but only the tops are seeing the benefit from that and are lining their pockets. (Cost of living adjustment this year gave me 1 more dollar a month, yeah thanks.)
    -0 loyalty to employees but they show supreme loyalty to their mediocre, below standard vendors over seas.
    -Lack of technology, meaning they are wanting to make their employees to do some very modern stuff with outdated 90's freeware.
    -Employee cuts, in the last 2 years we've had major cuts to our workforce but are still expected for the same kind of output each year and to do more tasks to cover for the lack of employees without a pay increase. *high five*
    -False hopes, meaning the managers will dangle potential bonuses in front of your face to keep you there. Then at the end of the year and after all the employee cuts they'll give you the speech of "Well we missed this or that mark" (reminds me of the State Farm commercial "Ohh you almost had it, gotta be quicker than that.")
    -Culture...there is 0 of that, no employee parties, or lunches together to actually get to know anyone...well unless it's on your dime.

Advice to Management

Pearson preaches so much about loyalty to it's employees but has none, start their. Instead of using mediocre, below standard vendors over seas invest in your employees, just because they cost little to nothing the mediocre work they do definitely shows in all of your products. There are just to many cons to give "advice" to management because management or the lack of doesn't care as long as they are getting a nice cut.

**If you are reading this review my advice is to just stay away from this company and find one that shows employee loyalty. Unless you are looking for a very top level management position and don't care how people view you....then this is the perfect company for you.

"Like the band playing on the Titanic"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pearson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits, nice people with good intentions.

Cons

The work is drying up. They don't seem to know how to handle the reality that most of what they sell can be obtained through other sources that are fre.

Advice to Management

Go back in time and stop the internet from being invented.

"Morale is low"

Former Employee - Associate Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pearson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people at Pearson are pretty great -- dedicated, intelligent, caring. I was given a lot of freedom to create my own schedules -- there wasn't a lot of oversight.

Cons

Pearson is in the midst of yet another restructuring and laid off 20% of its San Francisco staff. The morale is very low -- it was kind of like working in a morgue.

Advice to Management

Recognize the hard work your staff does. Do not be so quick to jump ship to the newest fad. Understand that people have value.

9. "Web Developer"

Former Contractor - Web Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Web Developer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pearson as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits ans paid training to enhance your abilities as a web developer, friendly and knowledgeable superiors, fair salary for starting dev straight out of college. 401k matching and other perks.

Cons

Boring job especially as i was lvsrqualified. Had to spend 3 mos as a contractor to get full time benefits and perks. Worst CMS - ever. Begged them to let me re-code it but it was a No-go.

Advice to Management

Keep up the benefits and 401k - very solid and stable place to work long term - I was too young to appreciate it fully (it was really 2006 when j worked there but gd doesn't have that option to select in the drop down).

"Program Manager"

Former Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pearson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pearson textbooks and digital products still are top of the line in terms of quality and accuracy; they really do listen to their customers and try their best to serve both instructors and students. Many people still believe in the mission of improving people's lives and opening doors through learning.

Cons

If Pearson keeps cutting corners and decreasing resources, the quality will suffer. I can understand shifting a certain amount of resources away from traditional books to digital and online learning platforms, but the content still has to come from somewhere, and if they simply outsource everything to contractors and continue to cut staff and budgets, there won't be anybody there to care about the content.

Advice to Management

Don't cut off your nose to spite your face; don't try to change your business model all at once by neglecting the products that still keep the lights on. And don't dismiss the thousands of dedicated people who know the content and still care about the customers.

Showing 43 of 2,615 reviews