Pearson Scorer Reviews | Glassdoor

Pearson CEO John Fallon
John Fallon

"Scorer"

Former Employee - Test Scorer in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Pearson full-time for less than a year

Pros

Supportive environment, interesting work, loved student essays, good bonuses

Cons

Assignments were too brief. Would love more work

Advice to Management

I'd send me some work.

Pearson2017-08-27

"Scorer"

Former Contractor - Test Scorer in Carolina, PR

I worked at Pearson for more than a year

Pros

Work from home and have a good pay. Good training online. It's for someone looking for extra money because it's only one and half weeks of work in a year.

Cons

There's no cons. They are very concise giving instructions and are always available. The only cons as a scorer it's only a week and a half of scoring in a year.

Advice to Management

Keep it up the great work.

Pearson2017-06-26

"Was 5 stars, no longer"

Current Freelancer - Professional Scorer in Bowling Green, KY

I have been working at Pearson for more than 5 years

Pros

1. Work from home. 2. Extreme flexibility when it comes to scheduling hours. 3. Adequate training and good resources to help score accurately. 4. Decent pay and incentives.

Cons

1. "Projects" as Pearson calls them only come up a few times a year. 2. A project lasts about a month, so there isn't a lot of money to be made. 3. You can't count on being hired or even qualifying for a project. AND WORST OF ALL... 4. They are apparently hiring too many people. I was on a project that ended today. BUT, it was not supposed to end until June 23. There are too many people working on... it. I guess they love finishing 2 weeks early, but I do not love losing out on 2 weeks pay.

Advice to Management

You really need to pare down the workforce and use your most qualified scorers. I am very disappointed that this project ended early.

Pearson2017-06-11

"Scoring Director"

Professional Scorer in Austin, TX

I worked at Pearson for more than a year

Pros

Being out of there is the only pro I can think of at this time. A miserable place to work.

Cons

Management, salary, dishonesty, hostile work environment.

Pearson2017-05-12

"Lack of organization and management"

Former Contractor - Scorer in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Pearson

Pros

Scoring jobs are easy to get and it's easy work, hired online, only requirement is a college degree. There can be a lot of downtime, you can bring reading material.

Cons

The work is very boring. There's too much training and everything is redundantly over-explained. There are many office rules and restrictions, you're not allowed to use your phone or internet, not enough bathrooms with lines at break and lunch time, office is stuffy and A/C inadequate, not enough employee parking. There's no HR or anyone to talk to about issues like scheduling or payroll errors, sometimes there are... conflicting answers about these things depending on who you ask.

Advice to Management

Where is the management? Be available for employee concerns.

Pearson2017-05-07

"Can't get their (tech) act together!"

Former Contractor - Test Scorer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Pearson for less than a year

Pros

If you are desperate for money , I guess that $ 75 isn't bad for three hours of (pressure filled) work.

Cons

Let's start with the training. Although you potentially *could* have looked up everything on-line, it is impossible to try to toggle back and forth between portfolios and scoring rubrics. I had to print out about 100 pages of information, much of it in color. That was on my own dime. In addition, when I was scoring a portfolio, a video would get hung up, and I would have to call tech support. I would be on the... phone with them for literally 45 minutes to an hour--unpaid. If I *did* want to get paid for it, (they would pay for up to 1 hour a week) you had to go into their payroll system, which was also messed up. I had to call the payroll support people, who would always give me a temporary password (Welcome1). I'd re-set my password, and the next week the same exact thing would happen again. In addition, you only have 3 hours to score a portfolio. If you are trying to do a thorough job reviewing the plethora of information students send it to review, it might take you a bit longer, but they only want you to take three hours so that you don't "over-think it". (What?) The final straw was when I began one portfolio (you have 36 hours to complete it once you start) and went to log in the next day to finish it. It wasn't there. What? After spending forever on the phone with tech support, (same song--different verse), I was told that this particular portfolio had accidentally been downloaded to "MANY" scorers that last evening, and that only the person who finished it first would get paid for it. SO...I spent two hours working on a portfolio when I am not going to get paid for it? Last straw! I have a Doctorate in Education, taught for 19 years, and have worked at the university level with many student interns and teachers. I am the exact kind of person that they want scoring EdTPA....but no more. I was born at night but not last night. Forget it!.

Advice to Management

Get the technical issues cleared up! Allow scorers to take more than 3 hours if need be.

Pearson2017-02-04

"Great temp position"

Former Contractor - Test Scorer in Centennial, CO

I worked at Pearson for less than a year

Pros

As a temporary scorer at a regional site, I got to meet a lot of like-minded people. No one took their job too seriously (although everyone was professional) because they knew it wasn't a career position. Pay was pretty decent for a temp gig and incentives helped.

Cons

If you don't like the temporary aspect of scoring, probably not the right move. The scoring system broke daily resulting in uncertain work loads.

Advice to Management

Morale was pretty low at the regional site. Maybe longer than 30 minutes for lunch? And a real allowance for smaller perks like coffee?

Pearson2016-12-16

"decent job"

Scorer in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Pearson for less than a year

Pros

guaranteed hours, good pay, break room, nice people

Cons

temp position, not a lot of direction, if you dont understand the work you never will,

Pearson2016-12-16

"A Good Work Environment but Few Contracts"

Former Contractor - Professional Scorer in Owatonna, MN

I worked at Pearson for more than 5 years

Pros

People are nice, management is helpful, the work is not difficult, and there can be some flexibility in scheduling.

Cons

There are not many contracts that are available. At best, this job offers occasional extra money, nit no future.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. The employees seem to be happy with everything except for the fact that there is not enough work for full time.

Pearson2016-10-17

"Excellent"

Professional Scorer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Pearson

Pros

I enjoy reading and scoring students essays.

Cons

It's seasional -about 3 months per year.

Pearson2016-09-03