Pearson VUE Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Robert Whelan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Employees are diverse and seem to carry a family culture attitude throughout, which means that work life balance can be had here" (in 10 reviews)

• "Plenty of room for advancement, great supervisors, fair compensation and excellent work environment" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Reorganization has led to increase turnover rate, not much room for advancement, no guarantee of hours scheduled" (in 5 reviews)

• "Low pay, low morale; middle management is poor" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Dedicated, smart team"

I have been working at Pearson VUE full-time

Pros

Dedicated, smart teams of people who work hard and are committed to excellence.

Cons

Culture is a bit insular.

Advice to Management

Give more opportunities for growth.

2. "Overall good"

Pros

good training and flexible hours

Cons

low-paid with no promotion at the entry level position

3. "Test Administrator"

I have been working at Pearson VUE part-time

Pros

Best time schedule management for a student.

Cons

Sometimes it gets too busy to be handled by only couple of associates.

4. "Job Review"

I worked at Pearson VUE part-time

Pros

Staff Was Awesome,. No day was ever the same.

Cons

Had to find your replacement if you needed to call out sick.

5. "Not so Great"

I have been working at Pearson VUE part-time

Pros

Good coworkers, good lower level management.

Cons

Poor hours, terrible upper management, training videos every other week, general fear of losing your job or getting in trouble.

6. "Test Administrative"

Current Employee - Test Center Administrator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Test Center Administrator in Houston, TX

I have been working at Pearson VUE part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great place to work all around

Cons

I do not have any

7. "Generally good place to work."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Pearson VUE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Smart people who care about each other, their job and the company.

Cons

Newest CEO has repeatedly fleeced this division of the larger corporation in a “rob Peter to pay Paul” style which has created a much poorer work environment: more work/less pay, decrease in morale and stability, loss of key employees, etc...

Advice to Management

Realize there is more to running a “profitable” company than pleasing shareholders. Meaningful work for career employees and creating exceptional products that help the world is an honorable goal.

8. "Allow me to give you the 411 about Pearson. Think before you apply!"

I have been working at Pearson VUE part-time

Pros

Flexible Scheduling (Pro and Con)
    Benefits (for those with full-time status)
    Working Advantage Discounts for all employees
    Seeing candidates accomplish their dreams and pass
    Quiet Environment
    Working with people
    Recommended for college students who need extra cash or retirees
    Like any job you may work with some really great people
    Culture oriented
    Free Parking

Cons

High Turnover Rate
    No Room To Grow! (Perhaps if you work for corporate, but not as a test admin.)
    Only hires parttime; no benefits unless you meet a certain amount of hours in over a year.
    No Break (You DO NOT GET A SCHEDULED BREAK) (you may work up to 12 hours, no break, not allowed to leave the building; therefore, you must bring your lunch)
    Pearson has downsized. Never expect to get anything in the office new or replaced.
    No incentives to keep workers.
    No microwaves are allowed; eating cold lunches gets old. You are only supplied with a mini fridge. Marietta location has a cafe; however, they close during lunch hours.
    12 hour shifts with only 2 people working at the site
    Larger test centers have 4 people working and still need help
    Expectations are high, Pay is low $10.50 for Ta's (while smaller competitors such as prometrix starts their Ta's off at$11
    Pearson does not hire anyone to clean the office; therefor, you are scheduled on an off day to come in and clean every few months.
    Raises given every year after your first year... Dont expect more that .30 cent/year (and that is considered a high raise)
    Here is what I found astonishing, there is no protocol for how to ask for a raise. You will be asked to ask your manager and no one seems to know how.
    Highly unorganized company
    I have witness new workers compromise security. That is because Pearson has a high turnover rate and will hire anyone to fill a void. No incentives are given to workers, therefor it does not matter is security is compromised to some people. You can get a job waiting tables and make more.
    Schedule varies (DO NOT EXPECT TO RECEIVE A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF HOURS. PEOPLE HERE FIGHT FOR HOURS)
    Cannot leave the building (YOU CANNOT LEAVE)
    Will not hire enough people (Prepare to be understaffed and overworked)
    Flexible Scheduling (Expect to have to work til 10 pm some days. Expect for some days to close (meaning you can lose hours). Lets say your scheduled to work Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday for 12 hours shifts. At last minute your manager may find out Pearson is closing on Tuesday and making candidates test another day. That means your hours drop from 36 that week to 24 in a blink of an eye.
    One month I only received 50 hours. I did not make more that $400 the entire month.
    You only get an incentive if you catch someone cheating. The giftcard gets taxed as income. Make you not even want it.
    If HR cannot thoroughly answer a question, you will be refered to your manager who cannot do anything because they do not have the answers HR is supposed to have.
    Pearson expects you to answer the phones and tell candidates they have to schedule with corporate. Pearson expects voicemails to be checked; however, they do not want us to call candidates back.
    I was lied to during my interview. I was promised more hours as a parttime employee. I was promised a raise in hours in 2 months.
    Parttime employees receive no benefits.
    NO ROOM FOR GROWTH. It can be a dead end job. The odds of getting am management position are slim to none. The odds for being fulltime are also slim to none.
    Turn over rate is high. If you have real bills to pay, this is not for you.
    Boring. It can be depending on who you are. You will be watching people to make sure they are not cheating every 2 hours. You cannot do anthing else but observe and get candidates seated.
    Like any job, some candidates will get upset with you because they are late, because they do not have the correct id, etc.
    I once read an article about Pearson and it said Pearson cut 4000 jobs and is like a corporate octopus trying to dominate the education field. That can be both good and bad I suppose.
    You have to document and write a case for all incidents. I have no problem doing this. What I do have a problem with is when you have to make a case for each candidate and you cannot multi select candidates that have the same computer issue that Pearson is already aware of.
    You are required to become tech support while doing the job you already have.
    Computers are ancient and the system used is too. The computers constantly freeze on candidates. There is no one who comes to fix the computer. I know it is not in the job description, but Test Administrators have to call VSS (the computer help desk) and work with them to get the computers back and running. That means, your doing 75% of the work the techies do. You have to get the exams running and deal with computer issues. Pearson will never send a site a new computer. They always come refurbished from a warehouse. One messed up computer gets replaced with another messed up computer. It is an endless cycle of misery.
    Rules constantly change for candidates. You give over 100 different exams and are expected to keep up with the ever changing rules. You work understaffed and are expected not to miss anything. Then your paid minimally with no incentive to stay.
    Pearson will give you a giftcard for Ta appreciation... then tax you for it. I kid you not. You get taxed on a gift and it is put in as your income. Makes you wish you didnt get it to begin with. They give you a gift card when you catch a candidate cheating and tax that as well.
    The newer locations look better. The older locations have stains in chairs and headphone are falling apart.
    Since Pearson is strict on budgeting, you can expect not to get many things replaced.
    When I first got hired I did not understand why the turnover rate is so high. Now I do. Reality has struck. I wish I would have gotten on glass door before excepting this position. I might update this post later. There is too much to type.
    Keep in mind you are required to do all this and more that is not up under your job description and all you make is $10.50 an hour.

Advice to Management

Pearson prides itself on quality and security; however, they keep making budget cuts and are unwilling to pay and give raises. Turn over rate is high and scheduling terrible. In my personal opinion, Pearson will hire people who are not qualified enough for the job. Then there will be many breaches in security. I hope they do not lose contracts with due to this.

Make scheduling better for workers
    Bring incentives back
    Stop paying your workers less than your competitors, and expecting them to bring their very best to the workplace. This will cause you to lose quality people and thus breach security.
    Listen to your workers.
    Hire a computer tech to float from location to location
    Give sites new computers, chairs, headphones etc
    Hire a cleaning crew
    Do not promise better hours to people and once hired never give it to them
    Explain the realities of the job in the interview
    Keep up the good work with making Pearson culture oriented
    Make it possible for people to have room to grow. Create more jobs that people can move up to. This may be another reason for high turn over beside scheduling and minimal hours.
    If you expect quality work and workers, you have to give quality pay. Remember at the end of the day, your business will not run without those working for you and doing their jobs well.

9. "Rewarding to see the happiness of others when they finally completed an accomplishment in life."

Current Employee - Test Center Administrator in Kendall, FL
    Current Employee - Test Center Administrator in Kendall, FL

Pros

It's a overwhelming experience at times, you meet people from all walks of life, who all are yet so different. They have many visions in respect to their careers and what they want to contribute to society. And that makes me want to contribute my utmost in providing the service needed to make them do the best that they can. Pearson is a very flexible place to work and it fits appropriately to my lifestyle.

Cons

The biggest challenge is not having guaranteed hours, not being able to budget your pay weekly. It is very hard, when income can't be guaranteed even though one is considered full time, but in pay they are not. You are told your status is benefit hours, but you have to pay for benefits from your pay. I truly believe this need to be looked into, because hard to comprehend for employees..

Advice to Management

Please consider the wages paid to the Test administrators, we are hard workers and we face candidates daily and care deeply for their futures and how their exam experience should be handled. We have to live also and making ends meet is our problem . Yes, I agree., but why not make it possible when wages are considered. So, that we can be fully dedicated to the company that we truly appreciate working for.

10. "A solid company"

Current Employee - Proposal Manager in Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Current Employee - Proposal Manager in Bala Cynwyd, PA

I have been working at Pearson VUE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People, good business model, growing business.

Cons

Greater Pearson (higher ed and other business units) are struggling, which is a drain, and makes them look to us for more and more revenue and also cost savings. Merit increases are terrible. Salaries are on the low end.

Advice to Management

You cannot retain top talent with meager salaries and terrible increases.