Pearson "senior management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Pearson Employee Reviews about "senior management"

Updated Nov 25, 2019

3.2
Pearson CEO John Fallon
John Fallon
1,372 Ratings
Pros
Cons
  • "Not a lot of leeway to make decisions (upper management gets to decide a lot) , sometimes the scoring can be vague and not always up to you to decide(in 135 reviews)

• "senior management decisions sometimes appear impulsive(in 89 reviews)

Reviews about "senior management"

Return to all Reviews

"Always Learning!"

Current Employee - Finance Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team, great leadership, great work and life balance, very respectful of cultural differences and opinions.

Cons

To many people on senior management (VPs and Above). Very hard to find a decision maker. Too much diplomacy and discussions vs action taking.

Advice to Management

Move faster, make decisions faster, create defined policies for enabling functions.

Pearson2015-10-29

"Just don't"

Former Employee - Online Enrollment Advisor in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of vacation time, nice facilities.

Cons

I thought for a long time about whether I wanted to post any reviews of this company, because I am honestly so much happier now that they're in my rearview mirror and am hesitant to relive things. But I really want to caution potential applicants. They are good at making their employees very jaded while stringing them along with broken promises about how things are going to get better. The job descriptions on their website do not match what is actually needed for the roles. Training is a joke, you learn most of what you need to know from your peers once you get to the floor. The systems are outdated and not built to handle the volume of leads coming in for each school so everything breaks constantly and none of the systems are linked to each other. They legally aren't allowed to fire you over not meeting enrollment goals or write about it in your yearly review but they'll always find a way to punish you or fire you because of it. Senior management puts it on ground level employees to influence culture and middle management are not bought in to company values. This is also a for-profit company and they run all their non-profit college enrollment departments like for profit schools. You aren't there to help students, you're there to sell to them. The departments are filled with ex-University of Phoenix employees and culture is really passive aggressive and toxic. Managers are useless for the most part and are just there to micromanage. Goals are unattainable with how leads are managed and the for profit culture really comes through when you express concerns about how students are being handled or how employees are being set up to fail. All the employees are forced to become arrogant and anti-collaborative in order to get anywhere and move up. The pay is also not consistent and some new hires make more than tenured employees in the same role. Pay is not competitive based on other industry positions and has less benefits, no commission or work from home perks. This is a good job to have for a year if you have no experience in enrollment and want to get some before applying to a real school, because they pretty much hire anyone with a bachelor's degree. They are good at trapping employees and gaslighting though so dont stay too long or believe any of their promises.

Advice to Management

If management is truly concerned about retaining talent, they need to take a hard look at themselves and the people they hire to lead recruitment and be honest about why no one stays more than a year or two.

Pearson2019-07-23

"Great Colleagues; Incompetent Management"

Current Employee - Supervising Editor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people you work with at Pearson are intelligent, selfless, kind, creative collaborators.

Cons

Senior management at Pearson doesn't have a clue. The way they treat employees, especially long-time employees, is disgraceful.

Advice to Management

Get rid of Fallon.

Pearson2018-06-01

"Senior Product manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Global company with room for growth. Lots of employees who are passionate about education and making a difference

Cons

Poor senior management who tend to resort to reorgs rather than focus on building products and solutions that impact students and learners.

Pearson2018-02-24

"If you want to sink into the corporate mire"

Former Employee - Media Buyer in Orlando, FL

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than a year

Pros

Job security I guess? They don't fire people, regardless of how incompetent they are. Good Benefits. Full tuition reimbursement (Unless they try to screw you midway through) If you're willing to burrow into your cubicle and never advance or grow, you can work here doing the same thing for your entire career

Cons

Let me count the ways. Local HR: 1. Don't expect them to call you: I had to follow up on my interview and was then brought in for another interview, with the same interviewer. But hey, I got the job? 2. What's an exit interview? There was 0 interaction with HR when I left the company. 3. Now that I'm dealing with issues with final payroll local HR continues to tell me they cannot help me in any way. Super. I'll just be on the phone with the Philippines I guess? Or is it India? Or both? Who knows. I sure am glad I did the ethical thing and brought it to their attention. 4. Local HR does take chili contests super seriously. All caps emails threatening disqualification, seriously. Probably because they have literally no power over anything else. Management: 1. My Director was a cool dude. Right up until he wasn't. Based on a change in platform, and a change in status to "unsatisfactory", my director refused to approve an already approved tuition reimbursement request in the new system. It did get handled eventually, but it's comforting to know that the person you're a direct report to is willing to shaft you on several thousand dollars over a minor technicality. 2. Senior management - If you meet him you'll know who I'm talking about. Unless you're a dude. Apparently then he's not a raging egomaniac on a power trip to people with a Y choromosome. I'm not actually sure what he *does* beyond disparage employees to their face. Including but not limited to curse words! 3. My actual manager was cool. When I had one. It took the company nearly 9 months to replace him and in the interim a team of 5 was a direct report to a Director in another building who didn't have time to answer emails. The handful of employees picking up the slack of course weren't compensated or rewarded in any way for their extra work, mostly yelled at for doing things "wrong" without any guidance. 4. Managers on other teams said negative things about me to my manager. Not about my quality of work of course, about my choice of cubicle decor. Apparently quirky = incompetent. Bonuses and raises are a joke. IT/HR/Support is all in other countries. Expect a 2 week turnaround time for requests. Approvals and processes are so dense, it took me over a year to launch a proposed tactic. Corporate materials are rife with typos. Nobody seems to care. Some people get offended when you bring it to their attention. Hiring and raises are significantly based on time with the company and who you know rather than actual qualifications. They must not have wanted me to quit, because they didn't notice that they kept paying me for weeks. Now they're trying to say I owe them the gross rather than the net. Sorry guys, not paying for health insurance I don't have. I'm not just going to casually write you a personal check for 6K after your screw up.

Advice to Management

Figure out who the toxic people in management are who are chasing away decent talent and clean house.

Pearson2018-02-02

"Regional Sales Manager"

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company benefits are great!

Cons

Senior management is leading Pearson into the services business and out of the education business.... It is be the end of Pearson in time

Pearson2018-01-07
  7. "Overall a good place to work"

I have been working at Pearson full-time

Pros

A lot of smart, dedicated, passionate people work at Pearson. They have a lot of top-notch authors, and together the authors and product teams develop high quality digital and print content.

Cons

At times, decisions from senior management can seem pretty disconnected from what's happening in the trenches. But that seems to be improving.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in product development while also investing in technology improvements. Beware of one-size-fits-all decisions about product development pathways.

Pearson2017-10-16

"Sluggish and backwards"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Many smart people working at the individual contributor level and also many line managers. Working in education has a feel-good effect.

Cons

Senior management and executives have no idea what they are doing. The reorgs are constant and poorly justified. A strategy is non-existent or so poorly articulated that it isn't clear how to get from here to there. Still has the mindset and processes of a book publisher even though they say they are a "technology" company.

Advice to Management

2/3rds of the senior management needs to go including the CEO and CIO then find some talent that actually knows something about running a technology company instead of paying consultant after consultant to tell you how to do your job.

Pearson2017-10-23

"It is not what it used to be. Stay away for now."

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

US colleagues are amazing. There are Amazing people throughout the organization in all departments. Authors and pedagogy are sound. Flex hours Work from home 401k

Cons

Creating a One Pearson makes sense from a lot perspectives, but sometimes it can't work. Global marketing has been a disastrous undertaking with people in London clearly not understanding what the North America market does. Constant reorganization is driving out the best talent from all areas and new senior management is disrespectful of those who have been at Pearson a long time. You can't come in and try to run a business you don't understand. The company has announced 3,000 more layoffs by the end of 2018. While transparency is great, employees feel like it's constant Russian roulette. It's hard to get work done when everyone is constantly worried about losing their jobs. There's a lot of talk about resiliency yet there's no compassion.

Advice to Management

Think about the impact you're having on your people. They care immensely about the organization and it's hard to stay when there's no security.

Pearson2017-09-03

"Would not go back EVER"

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Used to be a great corporate culture and offered small but important perks. People worked hard and enjoyed their jobs. Tone at the top was transparent although there were some people who were the golden children who couldn't be touched.

Cons

Terrible senior management from the CEO down. He should have been fired 2 years ago. Very poor decision making with no consequences or accountability. which is laughable given the corporate values were changed to specifically include accountability. Strategy was made up as you went along. Really bad HR decisions that made no sense and were poorly communicated. Senior management in denial about ongoing morale issues. No place to build a career- don't trust management. here was a lot of waste and abuse of company money but I think that's tightened up over the years. Treated long term loyal employees very badly upon separation.

Advice to Management

Go back to your roots and what you were good at and actually practice your corporate values. Replace the senior execs with people who know what their doing.

Pearson2017-08-10