Peet's Assistant Store Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Shawn Conway
0 Rating

"ASM"

I have been working at Peet's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great benefits, and fair possibilities to move up in the company. Great for natural morning people.

Cons

Throughout the years we have continuously grown and the job has become more difficult, without allowing more employees. There are unrealistic time expectations for over complicated drinks. Way upper management kinda just makes you feel like no matter how well your store is doing it could be doing better. After a while it gets exhausting.

Peet's2016-05-15
  2. "50/50"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Peet's full-time for more than a year

Pros

free drinks all day, free pasteries as well. constantly learning about the coffee that is sold, how to brew it, and the way it's grown and processed. Its been an amazing experience.

Cons

Training is completely hit or miss depening who you work for which is with all retail, but there is a lot to learn and pick up and if you don't have a good staff to help you it's going to ruin your experience.

Peet's2018-03-14
  3. "Great Company"

Current Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Peet's full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits! Wonderful people to work with in upper management, corporate, and store levels. Lots of opportunity to advance.

Cons

Work/life balance sometimes does not exist. Corporate staff changes A LOT. No clear direction of marketing techniques.

Advice to Management

Delegate responsibilities at the store level a little more equally. Almost everything falls on the SM and ASM...then we get told not to have overtime.

Peet's2018-01-13

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Peet's full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good coffee, good customers. Nice benefits, and discount on store products. Lots of store locations, and options for where to work.

Cons

Stores were constantly understaffed, stores in need of repairs, accountability for managers and training attainment. District managers not supportive but instead punitive.

Advice to Management

Look at the whole employee, what tasks were they given What did they accomplish, rather than simply ridding an employee because of a single error.

Peet's2016-10-20
  5. "Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Diablo, CA

I worked at Peet's full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company, great coffee, great benefits. Thorough training.

Cons

Very early/very late hours. Loud... Can't really help that.

Advice to Management

Keep producing a great product.

Peet's2016-09-20
  6. "Peet's was a Nice Time"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Albany, CA

I worked at Peet's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible, fun to interact with different people on a daily basis. The knowledge I learned about coffee and tea. The joy of not having to think about work when the day was over

Cons

Sometimes management would hire staff who was completely immature and irresponsible. It wasn't a thrilling experience to work with these people. I worked there before they were bought and it was a lot nicer before that time. After they were sold they became a shadow of their former selves. I was employed from about 1998 to 2003

Advice to Management

Don't loose your heart. This coffee company had and still has in a way a huge following. After the IPO and being sold Peet's lost much of their heart, but I still think the individual stores have the capacity to still be a strong neighborhood foundation. I certainly enjoyed my time there.

Peet's2016-08-12

"Thought it'd be my cup of tea, or coffee so to speak..."

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Peet's full-time for less than a year

Pros

Get to brighten up your guest's morning with a hot cup of Joe, decent closing hours (off at 8pm) and free beverages during your shifts and 50% after!

Cons

Still don't have consecutive days off since I've been with the company (5 months) and when asked, I was told my hours would be cut. I completely understand earning your good shifts but it seems unfair that all the other shift leads/managers have consistent schedules and I don't.

Advice to Management

Organize communication more effectively to your management team. Currently without a district manager, we've gone through 4 temps in the last 2 months therefore we have no solid direction or know who to reach out to in case of any questions or emergencies. Also, improve the training programs and cleaning procedures. Things I see on a day to day basis make me cringe and can cost the company quite a few lawsuits down the line if we get any guests sick.

Peet's2016-07-31
  8. "Lots of change."

I have been working at Peet's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Their mission for quality coffee is very noble! I've worked for the company for three years and worked my way up from a retail associate to assistant store manager and origins trainer, but I have certainly hit a wall in wanting to move up further. The pay is good for a retail job and the customer and employee cultures are honestly pretty pleasant considering.

Cons

In the last year they have abandoned Alfred Peets original vision of a quality coffee experience. They are far too worried about the bottom line rather than showcasing how great our beans are! I also think they are spreading themselves too thin with expanding to the east coast.. the west coast and bay area stores are suffering for it. The Home Office seems to be less and less connected with the needs of the stores in recent years which may be because they have resorted to more and more outside hiring for these positions and there is very little in-store training for them before they are shipped off to their cubical.

Peet's2016-04-20
  9. "Great company, slow development"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Peet's full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits, great people and customers, and a higher quality product that you feel proud to promote. Training system is great!

Cons

Management development plans tend to drag on for months and years. Waiting for a position to open, then waiting for interviews while doing the job is a little defeating. Positive in-store experience, but lots of hoops to jump through multiple times for management movement.

Peet's2016-04-03

"STOP! Look somewhere else"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Peet's part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Free coffee while you work, 1/2 lb free a week of coffee or tea.

Cons

So many! Bad management, VERY disorganized, grew too fast with no clue of how to organize. Store have inexperienced staff and the health code practices are not in place. Stores are extremely dirty and not kept clean. They need a visit from Undercover Boss!

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your staff, while you sit in your offices out in California you have not idea the talent that you are losing because of poor staffing decisions. Instead of just thinking about the bottom line, know that your customers are not getting consistant products and most staff doesn't even know the difference between light & dark roast coffee. It's a shame you allow this to happen. All you having going for you is the coffee! And being a Bay Area/Silicon Valley based company, it is embarrassing that you do not have an app and rewards for you customers to date. Starbucks may not have the coffee quality but they have the perks and the customers!

Peet's2015-08-28