Peet's Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 21, 2019

3.4
Casey Keller Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Fun, laid back work environment" (in 37 reviews)

• "great benefits, semi-flexible schedule" (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • "shift leads thought they were better than the RA's" (in 38 reviews)

• "Lack of upper management not understanding the pressure of store level employee needs and capacity" (in 32 reviews)

"Barista"

Former Employee - Barista in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Peet's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy tasks
    Regulars can be fun
    Make lots of friends
    Used this job to help pay for college

Cons

Co-workers not always the most reliable
    Lots of procedural changes that aren't necessary
    The app is obnoxious to deal with
    Have to follow a script
    Employee reviews purposefully innacurate
    I've had managers tell me that they believe my work is top tier but that he wasn't allowed to give me an accurate review to not have to give me a high raise. Something to do with corporate limiting them greatly with the process.

Advice to Management

Quit sending secret shoppers. Too many times have I seen a coworker get a bad review when their customer service is actually fantastic.

2. "Great part time"

Former Employee - Retail Associate
    Former Employee - Retail Associate

I worked at Peet's part-time

Pros

Free coffee and flexible work hours

Cons

I don’t have any cons

3. "Great Job to Have While in School"

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Peet's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Super flexible
    - Easy to get a handle of
    - Fun coworkers
    - Not too stressful

Cons

- Not much room for upwards movement

4. "Great place, great co-workers"

Former Employee - Barista in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Peet's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount on food and beverages
    Good environment
    Fun co-workers
    Great management

Cons

None. It was a great place to work

5. "For the love of coffee, not for a living wage"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Peet's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Peet's culture is truly based on the people. Those that work for them and those they serve. The product is unsurpassed. from the crafted drinks to the choices and variety of beans.

Cons

In their growing struggle to maintain culture, build sales and deliver profitability, they struggle. They attract employees by the Peet's vision, culture and passion for coffee but they do not keep with the times or try to stay ahead of the times by providing a competitive wage or living wage. So as they are able to bring in employees, they are not able to keep talented staff or maintain stable management coverage in their cafe's. Turnover is a constant and upper management hasn't figured out that by paying just a little more, giving just a few more hours to the daily schedule, turnover is reduced dramatically saving the company fortunes in wasted dollars on training, product loss and customer loyalty compromised... overall affecting long term sales patterns and profitability. they are looking at the road right in front of them instead of goal.

Advice to Management

Look at your wage scale.... you get what you pay for. If you want to keep what you have, do the next right thing to pay them enough to not look somewhere else. how much money and time do you spend on attracting, interviewing, screening, checking up on, on boarding??? how much does it cost peet's to bring a barista on??? 90 days to cert?? how many hours are spent from the team developing and coaching?? and how many hours does the trainee earn learning??? how much does it cost to certify them??? how many drinks are dumped for the sake of training and perfecting the craft??? do the math!!! Now, do the math for a manager trainee, do the math for a store manager..... if you gave some of the money spent digging yourselves out of attrition, you may not have as much attrition. stop looking at your toes and start looking ahead to the goal. if your understaffed , invest, invest well, pay well enough to keep them and let your stores move to the next level delivering the better results they are now capable of having the trained and experienced staff to do the job and the staff that wants to do the job because they are valued.
    If you want what you have keep doing what your doing. No change, no change.

6. "Easy part time job"

Current Employee - Barista in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Barista in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at Peet's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible schedule, management is orderly, get free coffee and pastries when you are on the clock

Cons

the customers can be the worse and some coworkers are unreliable

Peet's Response

Feb 28, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to review Peet's! We are glad to hear that you like the schedule and structure in the coffeebars!

We are always looking to improve and appreciate your feedback.

7. "Good job depending on management"

Current Employee - Barista in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Barista in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Peet's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours
    Great people to work with

Cons

Can get very hectic during busy times

Advice to Management

Make sure to stay involved in the day to day operations on the floor

"Good Benefits, Terrible Training"

Former Employee - Team Member
    Former Employee - Team Member

I worked at Peet's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits- 3 free drinks while on duty, one free 1/2 lbs take home every week, 30% drinks while off duty, helps pay for college, insurance, etc.

Regular customers where nice to meet, you can tell they love the product and the employees at each location

Cons

Bad training- I was only here for a little over a month before I had enough. I was trained only four days then they left me on my own. Every shift there would be something that went wrong because I didn't know how to ring up a specific drink or what to do when we run out of cold brew, etc.

Too many drinks- There are too many drinks on the menu, some of which no one ordered in the time I was there. Most of the time people ordered drip coffee or espresso-based drinks such as lattes or cappuccinos. There is no reason to have 10 different types of tea fogs and cold brew fog lattes when no one is ordering them. It clutters up the POS screen and makes it difficult when you're first learning. Also, there would be buttons for drinks and syrups that they wouldn't even have any more such as SF Chocolate Syrup, just get rid of those.

They expect you to know what's in every drink- I had not even started drink making and they expected me to know how many shots or pumps of syrup were in every drink and I could never find the DAG (book with all the recipes) to check so I would have to bug the barista to ask or just guess.

Competing information- while I was there the managers/trainers would give me competing information like the egg and cheese sandwich has to be warmed open face then when performing that task during another shift a shift lead told me that it does not have to be warmed open face. This happened on multiple different occasions regarding when to brew more drip coffee vs. reduce waste and use a pour over or how to refill the simple syrup. It was confusing and made me feel stupid since I would mess up multiple times during every shift.

More of a sales role- They also expected me to hit at least 5 points while ringing someone up while also trying to have a genuine connection and being fast. Big emphasis on upselling bakery items since that's what really drives up sales because drinks are pretty reasonably priced. 1) Greet 2) ask what they will have 3) upsell a specific bakery item 4) checking in with peets app? 5) thank them how does this leave room for a genuine connection especially with the line out the door. It's very robotic and people dont like being sold on things they dont want.

Lots of food waste- every night the bakery items and extra premade teas and cold brew were just thrown away in the name of freshness. I understand why this is but instead of throwing it away this would be a good opportunity for the company to invest in philanthropic or community involvement and donate the food to local food shelters. Such a waste of food.

Advice to Management

Get better training procedures for new hires to start them off on a good foundation and stave off discouragement. Make sure information is uniform across all employees so there is no confusion. Drink making or at least knowledge of the recipes should be a class when first hired to increase product knowledge so new hires will be able to immediately answer customer questions, learn the POS screen better and be more efficient while on duty (i.e. not have to ask the barista or manager questions constantly).

For a company who prides themselves on their founder being basically the father of the coffee movement in America you really take coffee, which should be at the forefront of the drink, and add a bunch of artificial ingredients to cloud the taste. Go back to your roots and reduce the menu. You don't need so many tea fogs, cold brew fog lattes, and Javivas. The customers already like the fresh bean aspect and the fact that the staff is so knowledgable about the roasts. More and more people are going to third wave coffee shops because they have better atmosphere and a simple menu that lets the taste of the coffee shine through, they aren't bombarded with choice overload and cognitive fatigue. Peet's would benefit from making some major changes not only to improve customer experience but employee satisfaction.

"It used to be more relaxed and fun."

Current Employee - Barista in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Barista in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Peet's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The product is still good.

Cons

The company became super corporate. Food options have become terrible.

10. "Meh"

I have been working at Peet's full-time

Pros

Free take home coffee and tea

Cons

No Time to drink free drinks