Peet's Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 3, 2017

1.0
Dave Burwick

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • flexible schedule and understanding of students just trying to finish college (in 26 reviews)

• Great atmosphere and work environment (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Shift leads are undervalued and underplayed (in 32 reviews)

• Way upper management kinda just makes you feel like no matter how well your store is doing it could be doing better (in 26 reviews)

"Horrible managemebt"

Current Employee - Barista in Napa, CA
    Current Employee - Barista in Napa, CA

I have been working at Peet's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free coffee, great coworkers, made long term friends with customers.

Cons

Short staffed, company doesnt allow managers to staff properly due to CONSTANT budget cuts. People are overworked/undertrained. Raises are rarely given out, though baristas get shoved supervisor work. Not much praise from managment. Very critical. Shady gossip. Management can be quite unproffessional and hypocritical. (Yelling at someone for talking about a party on the floor, yet the will openly say cusswords in front of customers) sends mixed messages. You are not given overtime if working a long shift, you are expected to clock out for long lunches but cannot leave. Havent had a store manager for 3 months, and havent been given a raise i was 'promised' for 4, yet as a barista im taking a lot of training and cleanup as my responsibility with no thanks.

Advice to Management

Stop undermining your employees, treating them as though they are disposable, and stop turning this place into starbucks. Its going to lose its meaning.

"Not good"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Peet's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some kinship with workmates.

Cons

Corporate attitude towards advancement. They would rather hire outside the company instead of promote from within anymore. And pay that person more than what you make for the same job.
    Almost zero help in company to move from position to position unless they "need" you.

Advice to Management

Why bother, you didn't listen to me then, you won't now.

"Promised growth but lied"

I worked at Peet's full-time

Pros

I learned to become more assertive when dealing with staff members. I was able to develop leadership skills as well as amazing coffee knowledge.

Cons

The managers there were not only young, but very unprofessional. No growth allowed and staff members left the floor all the time. I felt like a babysitter but more underpaid.

Advice to Management

It could be the area I live in OR it could be this company. When you hire a new employee who wants to learn, has a passion for team leading and wants to invest in a career, please dont push them away. The people where I worked thought it was "pathetic" that I cared about moving up in this company. When a person shows interests management should appreciate that skill. Allow that person to grow instead of hold them back. I left this place and will never return. Not even as a customer. It saddens me that many companies hire people who dont care.

4. "Was not given the proper training and not supported by upper management"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Capitola, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Capitola, CA

I worked at Peet's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, free coffee and a paycheck.

Cons

Unprofessional work ethic. Poor support of lead managers, inappropriate behavior. Ageism.

Advice to Management

Work on communication with lower management. Higher older people.

"No"

Current Employee - Cashier/Barista in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Barista in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Peet's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

constantly meeting new people that come in and out of the store
    messing around on the espresso machine

Cons

generally horrible customers,
    awful corporations attract awful people
    not at all paid enough
    the coffee is nasty

Advice to Management

stop treating your employees like crap then demanding high quaility work

"Starbucks is better..."

Former Employee - Cashier/Barista in Tiburon, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Barista in Tiburon, CA

I worked at Peet's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun coworkers and atmosphere with a flexible schedule. Free drinks and food while working.

Cons

Pay is very low and the benefits are very lacking compared to similar companies. The management tries to retain staff but the turnover is very, very high. No opportunity to move up the ladder.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better wages so that they don't leave for Starbucks.

7. "Thought it'd be my cup of tea, or coffee so to speak..."

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Peet's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to brighten up your guest's morning with a hot cup of Joe, decent closing hours (off at 8pm) and free beverages during your shifts and 50% after!

Cons

Still don't have consecutive days off since I've been with the company (5 months) and when asked, I was told my hours would be cut. I completely understand earning your good shifts but it seems unfair that all the other shift leads/managers have consistent schedules and I don't.

Advice to Management

Organize communication more effectively to your management team. Currently without a district manager, we've gone through 4 temps in the last 2 months therefore we have no solid direction or know who to reach out to in case of any questions or emergencies.

Also, improve the training programs and cleaning procedures. Things I see on a day to day basis make me cringe and can cost the company quite a few lawsuits down the line if we get any guests sick.

"Dream job in the making"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Peet's (More than a year)

Pros

The people are the heartbeat of this organization. I have never worked with a group of people so passionate about their craft, and their product. The benefits are decent, the culture is young and fun and there is a commitment to work-life balance in the corporate office headquarters.

Cons

The leadership team is well-meaning and are gifted individually but lack cohesion and leadership. They seem to be in constant pursuit of someone else's operational model and they lack the ability to pull together to create and stand behind a vision and identity. They do not listen to their employees who have a deep love for Peet's yet are frustrated by the lack of vision. High turnover in the corporate office due to frustration over the lack of systems and processes. A recent retail re-purposing led to a reduction in force of about 14% of the corporate office staff, a short-sighted, short-term solution or flavor-of-the-month from the exec team. Happy to be out of that toxic environment.

Advice to Management

Trust the people you hire to do the jobs they are hired to do. Figure out who you want to be as an employer, you are no longer a tiny, scrappy little company. Respect your workforce.

"Corporate Office Culture"

I worked at Peet's full-time

Pros

The coffee is simply amazing. Deep, dark, rich, robust. The Coffee Team truly has it's act together.

Cons

Too bad it's not just about the coffee. The corporate office is extremely unhealthy, starting with the CEO. He buries his head in the sand without facing reality about what's really happening with the business. Can't make a decision, won't allow others to do so and then won't empower people to do their jobs. Wants to be involved with everything - including areas he has no expertise in. Has no respect for chain of command and communicates directly with people without their bosses knowing. Complete lack of respect from teams in that building.

The corporate office culture is very sad and tiring. People aren't excited to be there because there is no company unity. Trust is a huge issue as the top Leaders don't share much information with their teams or the organization which creates a ton of gossip from people making up stories.

There have been so many layoffs (how they decide who gets cut doesn't seem to make sense) - that people are scared they will be next in line. The organization can hire talent but then don't know what to do with them so they don't get supported. Newbies come aboard and scramble trying to make progress in an organization that doesn't allow that without Executive involvement.

My absolute worst job experience.

Advice to Management

Be honest with yourselves about whats really happening with people at the organization.

"Retail Associate"

Former Employee - Retail Associate in Manhattan Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Associate in Manhattan Beach, CA

Pros

The ability to network and free drinks and the one free pastry that you were given each shift. Tips were decent too around 2$ per every hour you work.

Cons

Management was a complete mess Led to most of us working longer hours. Management were also really rude to customers and felt entitled. Was not worth the money in my opinion. Leave until they get better management. Also verbally abusive to employees.

Advice to Management

You need to get better Management or at least some anger management training.