Peet's Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 15, 2017

2.0
Dave Burwick

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • flexible schedule and understanding of students just trying to finish college (in 26 reviews)

• Great atmosphere and work environment (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Shift leads are undervalued and underplayed (in 32 reviews)

• Way upper management kinda just makes you feel like no matter how well your store is doing it could be doing better (in 26 reviews)

"Tough on middle management with no clear direction from execs"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Peet's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coffee perks, nice people, friendly culture, for the most part people trying really hard to do a good job and work together constructively

Cons

Conflict at highest levels cause confusion and frustration. Uncoordinated exec level strategies and open in-fighting cause high turn over. Once people lose faith in leadership the ship starts to sink.

2. "started out great, then went south fast"

Current Employee - Shift Lead in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Shift Lead in Boston, MA

I have been working at Peet's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, friendly customers, great coffee

Cons

Poor infrastructure, overworked and underpaid employees, paid like baristas at other cafes but treated like managers with no room for growth within the company

Advice to Management

Invest in one manager per store. It's unfair to lower management to never see a management figure for weeks at a time, especially at these non-competitive pay rates

3. "Good for short-term and in need"

Former Employee - Shift Lead in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Shift Lead in Evanston, IL

I worked at Peet's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free drinks and (though can be a gamble) great colleagues

Cons

No raises based on 'high pay-rate already', terrible management from SM and DM, no cooperation between stores, stressful environment with no personal or professional growth

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage people as a transformational leader rather than the less than sub-par transactional leader you currently are

"Petes should really work on employee concerns"

Former Employee - Barista in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Peet's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They offer benefits, you can move up and it's still a smaller corporate which makes it it feel more of a mom and pop shop still.

Cons

Lack of structure. They only care about customers. They have a super high turn over rate. The stores lack training to new employees and do not help grow their best assets. The managers are either lazy or work extremely over the top. I felt that their was a lot of fairatizim.
    They do not follow up with their employees and they shouldn't have tips, if the person doing them isn't paid and when someone wants to just do their own,it isn't allowed. If I am not getting paid why would I want to do anyone else's. Anyways, I wish my experience was better with peets but I regret to say it was not great at all.

Advice to Management

They should hire more appropriate managers that want to be in that position
    That aso, don't use it as a superiority complex. They should have a better system to help deal with employees issues with store or any situation in general. The district manager will not allow anyone to call her, at least my district. So thenu try calling the corporate human resources and the lady never answered. The company is a spin off of Starbucks and another fast food coffee company. I literally would get in trouble at my store for talking too long with a customer. But then i was praised for having the highest customer service survey reviews. I think there is a lack of training fot management because my strore had a super high turn over rate for both managers and store associates. The company is great for people with a passion for coffee and enjoy fast coffee and tedious tasks everyday.

"Sexist.. Shift leaders hit on you"

Former Employee - Barista/Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Barista/Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Peet's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tips , free drinks . Meet friendly people. Co workers r nice, learn new recipes. The LAG on teaching latte art. Just want you for the money

Cons

Everyone is sexist. Customer threw money at me . Cleaning is so over assigned to one person. Everyone struggles in the end.

6. "Training Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Peet's (More than a year)

Pros

Passionate work force who love coffee.

Cons

Company is in a state of constant flex.

"Disorganized & Disappointing"

Current Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Peet's part-time

Pros

You get to work with a good product and make great connections with your community.

Cons

Upper management just laid off a bunch of home office employees without figuring out how all the work they did would then get done. The company feels very disorganized right now and it is trickling very quickly through to the retail stores where our customers can see it. Lots of new ideas are being pushed through with urgency but no resources are being given for the field or the store support team. I feel let down.

Advice to Management

Plan further ahead. Organize the company and fill the positions that are needed to support the field and the planned growth. Streamline communication and take care of the good people you have. Know that ideas take time & planning. The more junk you add on the more miserable your teams become.

8. "Great Coffee, low wages"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Peet's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The coffee is great, the store locations are usually in interesting locations

Cons

Typical retail hours, must work weekends, holidays. No real career advancement.

Advice to Management

Make a visit to a Peets Coffee a truly exceptional experience. Treat your store managers like they are equally exceptional.

"Shift lead"

Former Employee - Shift Lead in San Carlos, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Lead in San Carlos, CA

I worked at Peet's (More than a year)

Pros

Free coffee for employees while in shift. 1/2 price when off shift.

Cons

Poorly paid. Over worked. Promises unfulfilled. A company of childish supervisors. Corperate only allows folks under 25 to get promoted.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees a decent wage. Follow through on your word. A lot of people still believe in our word and a handshake.

"No longer what it used to be"

Former Employee - Director in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Peet's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The coffee is still really good

Cons

the company has sacrificed its culture and employees for profits

Advice to Management

focus on the people that work for you. the priority seems to be how to get the biggest bonuses for the top executives and not on building a good company culture