Peet's Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dave Burwick

Pros
  • flexible schedule and understanding of students just trying to finish college (in 26 reviews)

• Fast paced energetic work environment (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Shift leads are undervalued and underplayed (in 31 reviews)

• Way upper management kinda just makes you feel like no matter how well your store is doing it could be doing better (in 26 reviews)

"Lots of great talkers at Peet's; it's the actual doing that eludes them. Completely unsophisticated marketing team."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Pros

The coffee buyers are smart and progressive and produce a great product. The CEO is smart.

Cons

The problems lie with many of his marketing lieutenants. I don’t know how those people haven’t chilled themselves into extinction.Hemingway said it best about them: "Never confuse movement with action."

Advice to Management

Though he is smart and savvy, many of O'Dea's key appointments show a man who is comfortable around unremarkable people.

"Good product, poor organization"

Former Employee - Shift Lead in Vacaville, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Lead in Vacaville, CA

Pros

Peet's has an excellent product! The coffee beans are all perfectly roasted to make a brew good enough to drink black, no sugar! For steamed milk based drinks, Peet's also aspires to make the best foam.

Cons

Peet's has been called the world's oldest startup and is constantly having growing pains.
    Our location suffered from having a new district manager who was a poor organizer and judge of character. Five managers/assistant managers hired by her came and went in two years. Our district manager stepped down to become a single store manager.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to make the person who does the ordering work the night before scheduled delivery. A runout that happens on one's own shift is a powerful incentive to get your pars right next time.

"Getting the position is the only opportunity you will get."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Free Product
    Open Minimal Hours (Most stores close at 8pm)
    Product quality is very good
    Product Discount is good as well

Cons

The benefits for managers are not great. Also, the schedule for managers does not make sense based on the needs of the business. They mandate nights, holidays and weekends but when they hire you they tell you that you can have these off. The District Managers are incompetent. The culture is not performance based so no matter how hard you work, no one will truly notice. You are constantly lied to and undermined. Prepare to be disrespected.

Advice to Management

You need to be willing to create an avenue of development for those who wish to. You also need to respect the authority and judgment of your store managers.

"Constantly micro-managed by horrible management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenbrae, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenbrae, CA

Pros

free coffee and tea
    flexible hours

Cons

management system was awful
    no training...just stick you on a register for 6 hours a day until finally someone decides to teach you how to make coffee months later

"Peet's Is Blowing Its Re-branding Effort"

I have been working at Peet's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-The majority of Peet's coffee and tea stock is actually good quality. (Sadly though, I do know after having both physically been to the roasting plant and having seen the prices we acquire raw beans and imported teas, customers are absolutely being overcharged. Some teas, for example are common, inexpensive blends in china have simply been repackaged and given exorbitant prices.)
    -Peet's does hire a lot of "interesting people" (Dave Burwick's choice of words, not mine) and this does lead to a more interesting, if not somewhat challenging place to work.

Cons

Peet's has been, like most corporations going through a post-buy out re-branding effort to push a sort of "positive thinking only" schema on its employees. I must preface what I say by affirming that I am all for choosing positivity and keeping an upbeat workforce but I am not about to let that blind me to opportunities for improvement or let it blunt uncomfortable truth. I will attempt everyday to keep it positive but I will never let that goal keep me from addressing what needs to be fixed because of some pathological fear of losing momentum.
    Often times this positive-only schema leads store management to ignore real issues brought to their attention and in nearly every case this line of thinking completely invalidates the daily working experience of actual "Peetniks". You might have a legitimate concern about your well-being or safety in the store dismissed because it's deemed "too negative" to even discuss. Often times, you will dismissed entirely as a person because you are not socially or politically inline with corporate's professed "values" and are told that who you are as a person is "negative" and that you need to be something else to be the current incarnation of "positive". Working for this company has become not that different from being in a cult.
    To add proverbial insult to injury pay is abysmally low across the board for retail associates, shift leads and assistant managers. (A typical retail associate may not even make $10/hr after five years. An 8 cent raise for "meeting expectations" is fairly common.) For a company that has the balls to charge $18.95 for a pound of coffee, that's pretty pathetic and is a true testament of how they value their employees.
    Aside from the aforementioned low wages, hourly employees are expected to do far more work than is reasonable through a variety of daily soul crushing factors:
     -A daily shift will typically be intentionally understaffed (i.e. "skeleton crew"). This is exhausting for employees and negatively impacts customer experience and opinion. Direct evidence of this can be seen in countless Customer Satisfaction Surveys that actually use the descriptors "understaffed", "rushed", "waited and excessive amount of time for my drink", "employees look tired", "chaotic", "employees lack enthusiasm", "bad vibe", etc. Peet's home office decrees that the first priority when scheduling is to allocate the most labor to week day mornings. For most suburban stores this is a critical mistake. I currently work in a store that has all day saturday and all day sunday as its two most profitable periods. Yet, despite my store manager skimming hours off week day afternoons and evenings to make up some of the slack, we are never allocated enough hours from corporate with which to properly run our store. My store is also a top tier store that regularly bests the "aggressive" budgets set for us by corporate and yet when it comes time to beg for more labor, home office cries poor. I call bullpucky.
    -Training is bare bones and micromanagement is rampant. Like most corporations, training materials from Peet's own Origins training program will dictate that certain tasks are completed by people in different "roles". 90% of the time the S.O.P. is not communicated to store level employees except as photocopied acronyms on corkboard in the back room, right above the trash can. Management prefers to play obvious favorites and daily expectations are not made clear to all employees. An inability to effectively communicate and immature cliquish behavior is common. Promotions have very little to do with skill or merit and often the wrong people for the job are chosen through outright nepotism.
    -Breaks are frequently taken late because of a combination of understaffing and management's own poor time management. Also there is often pressure from management to not take your ten minute breaks at all, or in the last stretch of a closing shift to manually "punch out" and continue working for free (hello wage theft!) Closing employees are often given less than a half hour to complete a close after the doors are locked in the evening. Despite how much "pre-closing" may have been done, with only two employees on until close this is simply never enough time. Management may also, illegally adjust your "punches" in Kronos to avoid paying you for all the hours that you've worked, overtime, etc.
    -Employees are pressured into signing meal break wavers under threats of cut hours should they refuse to give up their rights.
    -A typical store is run nothing close to what home office fantasizes it would be. If Customer Satisfaction Surveys and direct social media commentary from customers is any indication, Peet's does not understand and nor does it care to properly understand and cater its business to its changing customer base. For far too long, this company has resisted change and let too many opportunities slip through its grasp. Peet's parent company is dictating changes now and a lot of good people have jumped ship during the interim at the corporate level (not ignoring the high retail turnover rate). The company has chosen to adopt a new mission statement of simply being "better", but as someone who has battled through nearly five years with this company, I know that unless Peet's does right by both its regular customers and its lowest level employees that mission statement means nothing.

Advice to Management

Pay your people an actual living wage! Spend the money actually training your new hires; they need it! If these two problems alone are corrected the turnover rate would dramatically decrease.
    Be present and communicate well. Hold your employees accountable but remember that their insight to you is valuable and do everything you can to develop them.
    Home Office: Please do not dismiss customer opinion and feedback! When customers ask daily for something at store level or post an agitated Facebook post about something that didn't meet their needs that is a missed opportunity.
    Stop ignoring reality and pushing a happiness cult on employees that struggling to get by on the crumbs you throw them.

"Overworked, Favoritism, Low Morale"

Current Employee - Associate in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Peet's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on location, even entry level retail associates can rack up hours to ensure they're making a living wage. Free pastries and beverages while you work - but that's not really a pro, because they're all horrifically unhealthy. If you're customer service driven it's nice to chat with regular customers.

Cons

The store I'm working at currently gives most employees less than 20 hours per week - not a living wage in the Bay Area. I've found that I frequently have to ask other stores if any of their employees called out to gain additional hours, so there's an air of competitiveness between stores and districts.
    A lot of policies and changes are being enforced that definitely favor profit over employees wellbeing, to astronomical amounts. I've had coworkers who have worked at Peet's for years and now loathe it more than anything.

Additionally - many employees who have been with the company for years have been trying to advance to shift leaders or managers - and it's just not happening. I've met many employees who resigned because they felt that they were flat out being denied advancement despite their work showing definitive proof in terms of increasing finances and customer opinion for a store.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure if it's my specific store, but my manager is very, very strict about counts and inventory adding up. I've had shift supervisors blow up at me for milk waste (too much milk in the pitcher for steamed cafe drinks)/dropping or breaking a pastry, because our manager blew up at them for not reprimanding associates enough in general. I get the sense that, at many Peet's (seeing as I work at a few different locations to get hours to add up), expectations are set very high and the impact of that stress is incredibly 'ripple effect,' which I'm sure shows in our work, general efforts, and how we come across to customers.

"Huge Disappointment!"

Current Employee - Retail Sales and Barista in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales and Barista in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Peet's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free half pound of coffee each week, free drink and pastry each shift. Sadly that's where it ends.

Cons

Hours each week are inconsistent. One week 10, next week 20, week after 13, and so on. Training is minimal and rushed. Co-workers can be rude and unhelpful. Most customers are impatient, condescending, pretentious and downright mean. Many are unforgiving you are new, and still learning.

Advice to Management

I was really excited I got a job here. I wanted to work at Peet's for years and was so happy to finally get the opportunity. My background is in food service so no stranger to long lines, multi-tasking and difficult customers. This place has been the worst experience and extremely disappointing. I don't know which is worse: being rudely snapped at by coworkers/manager/shift leads (many times in front of customers) or treated like manure scraped off a shoe by customers all day long.

I dread working here and after one month I'll be looking for something else.

On top of all this I can't afford the cost of living with the inconsistent, fluctuating hours. If I'm going to be treated like cr@p all day long I'd like to at least be able to afford to rent, and basic living costs.

9. "So Far, So Bad"

Current Employee - Retail Sales and Barista
    Current Employee - Retail Sales and Barista

I have been working at Peet's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free drinks- yeah, that's about it.

Cons

I did a previous review, and now that I have been working here since March of last year, I must say that management sucks. I had a fellow employee belittle me and harass me (IN FRONT OF MY MANAGER) and she did nothing, and when I went to talk to her about it later she cut me off and told me to focus on myself. IN reality, she is enabling this employee to make me walk on eggshells and take her harassment because she will do nothing I'm getting minimum wage for what???

Scheduling sucks, I am lucky if I get 15 hours a week, and she keeps hiring more people. Keep giving hours to your loyal staff. I'm available all week. She's obviously terrible at learning how to run a business. She just keeps sucking up to her boss.

Peet's keeps launching new things. Launch hot items, so customers won't leave because we can't heat up their Ham and Swiss Crossiant. Stop launching coffee no one cares about that it 50 dollars for a flipping half pound.

Advice to Management

Ugh. Just UGH. Stop hiring incompetent people who look good on paper, but who leave their employees dissatisfied and unhappy with not loyalty given or money in their pockets.

10. "Dreadful"

Current Employee - Shift Lead in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Shift Lead in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at Peet's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free drinks
    New friends
    FREE DRESSED
    That's about it
    Sad but true

Cons

I have never worked for a company like this after a month with them im putting in my three day notice because they dont deserve a whole two weeks to find a replacement I was a Shift LEAD but felt more like the boss the managers put all the responsibility on me I gave this company 100% they took it for granted!
    The medical benefits they offer is a joke :(

Advice to Management

Please have respect for all your employees

"Lots of stupid stuff to deal with (and stupid people)"

Former Employee - Barista in Encinitas, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in Encinitas, CA

Pros

The hours are relatively flexible for a student

Cons

You spend most of your shift cleaning. They are great about understaffing so that its only 2 people doing a crap ton of stuff. The management doesnt really care about you they only care about how their store looks for the boss above them. No one gets fired for anything. Not even stealing money from the employee tips. Its just an over all crappy work environment. Not only is the pay bad, the tips are even worse. Not worth the stress. There are alot jobs with alot better tips, and much less to deal with

Advice to Management

Start staffing better for closes, fire managers who steal money (I wouldve thought that would be a no brainer), hire people who arent so stupid , MORE TIME TRAINING, and stop getting worked up over the littles things. The san diego area has had alot of overturn in the lasy year and it mostly has to do with bad management and undertrained, poor staff