Peet's Reviews | Glassdoor

Peet's Reviews

Updated May 24, 2017

Pros
  • flexible schedule and understanding of students just trying to finish college (in 26 reviews)

• Great atmosphere and work environment (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Shift leads are undervalued and underplayed (in 32 reviews)

• Way upper management kinda just makes you feel like no matter how well your store is doing it could be doing better (in 26 reviews)

1. "Shiftleader"

Current Employee - Shift Lead/Barista in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Shift Lead/Barista in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Peet's (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people and nice atmosphere

Cons

Very Short staffed at times can be stressful

"Assistant Manager and Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Peet's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Health insurance, Paid time off, free coffee and tea, interacting with people.
    Peet's is a great place to work part time-full time until you get into management. Pay is decent, above minimum wage plus tips.
    Working with a diverse group of people, learning about coffee and tea and barista training is great. Customer service job that will teach you how to be the better person.
    Management offers a great oppurtunity to develop a team.

Cons

Employees are never allowed to work off the clock but often do so to get stuff done.

Assistant Manager may be the worse position stress and pay wise at this company. As an ASM you are no longer tipped out and the "promise" of a bonus is supposed to help the subtraction of tips. Tenured baristas can often make more or almost the amount of an ASM.
    The ASM is essentially responsible for everything the manger is minus creating a schedule- and must often assist with that if manger is gone. The pay and bonus amount between an ASM and store Manager is not acceptable considering the responsibilities of an ASM. Stores often lack a Store Manager and have an ASM running it- not being paid for their job.

Prior to myself quitting it appears the company restructured the involvment of the district manager and their stores in which many mangers felt was for the worse. Working at Peet's for 8 years the people who inspired and fostered my skills and career either quite the company or moved out of the Bay Area to help with the expansion of the company. Moving into management I saw a very large gap of true support from District and Regional managers for ASM and SM.

Store designs and planning seem to often come from people who have never managed or even worked in a cafe.

Promises are often made verbally and not seen through and excused as "unexpected circumstances". In my experience this includes the time frame of a development plan, when a pay raise would be introduced, the promise of constant support, and the promise of moving stores.

I left this company because I no longer felt I had the support of upper management. The stress and lack of work life balance outweighed the passion I had to support and foster my employees.

Advice to Management

Remember who the face of your company is, the employees. I am possible an "old school Peetnik" becoming too reminiscent of the old days before the expansion, but I had amazing store managers and district managers at one point who made it a point to be involved with staff development. Positive reinforcement and support are incredibly vital to happy worker.

3. "Ugh"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Peet's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts are pretty decent. One 1/2 pound of coffee or box of tea to take home with you per week, unlimited free drinks on duty, one pastry on duty.
    My location happens to be very flexible with hours
    Some of my employees were okay as people and i sort of enjoyed working with them

Cons

Aggressive boss, bad upper management, no clear job descriptions are given to the shift leads which results in our store not getting a milk order for a week or running out of sleeves, cups, and sometimes even sugar and cream? Tips are usually pretty good but they never get done on time you end up with long periods of not seeing the tips you worked so hard to earn. My location is notorious for the clientele and their behaviors, I've had to sweep up needles (more than one employee has experienced this) and clean up blood from the bathrooms and human feces when they miss the toilet completely. People have peed on our sales floor, and employees have almost been physically assaulted this is never taken all that seriously by the store manager who unofficially "bans" customers but then is never there at night when these incidents happen. Overall i feel that for minimum wage in the food service industry i should not be afraid of contracting blood-borne diseases, getting spit on by a customer who forgot to take their medication and can follow me home at night yelling at me about being banned from Peets because they live literally outside of my store. Maybe the more bougie the location the less risk involved on the job, but for me, it hasn't proven worth it.

Advice to Management

Talk to the employees of the store in private and ask what they think of their in-store superiors, stress the importance that managers BE PRESENT during their entire shifts and aren't sneaking away with their significant others or with shiftleads on unofficial special smoking breaks in their cars. Hire people who seem to enjoy management, it brings down store morale when your manager acts like she never wants to be there.

4. ""Barista" with no bar training"

Former Employee - Associate in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in Oakland, CA

I worked at Peet's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good coworkers, lots of coffee/tea perks, flexible schedule. Fine part time job.

Cons

Never was trained to make espresso drinks which, as a barista, I wanted to be. That was a lot of why I chose Peet's over other part-time retail type jobs, and I never got it.

"Full-Time and Season Work for Students"

Former Employee - Retail Associate in Greenbrae, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Associate in Greenbrae, CA

Pros

Often conveniently located. It's nice getting discounted drinks or beans. Depending on management, it can be nice part-time work on top of classes or to kill some time.

Cons

Typically understaffed and over-worked. Responsibilities often get passed down to lower-end employees without clear lines of upward communication. Customers are usually difficult, depending on location. Pay is terrible unless you've been working there for a long time. I got one raise in three years.

Advice to Management

Give store managers more control over stores and pay your retail associates a living wage. Employees are under-valued and under-payed for how much they take on when it comes to serving large amounts of often-difficult customers.

6. "Bad experience"

Current Employee - Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Peet's (More than a year)

Pros

At least you get to sell a good product

Cons

High turnover in upper management led to my unhappiness in my role. They continually gave me conflicting information and gave very little support.

7. "Horrible Management"

Former Employee - Barista in Granite Bay, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in Granite Bay, CA

I worked at Peet's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free 1/2 lb coffee once a week, free drink on your break.

Cons

The management is rude and disrespectful to employees. More agressive than passive. Manager didn't give everyone thier reviews, and have everyone a 10 cent raise so that they could get a better bonus. Manager has failed to show up to intetview new employees. Constantly leaves early, takes a lot of time off on weekends, and doesnt care about employees or their needs. There is a lack of communication when trying to train new hires, nothing is organized. Its very frustrating, becomes if there was a different manager the store would tun much smoother. Most employees have left due to this manager.

Advice to Management

Re-train manager or demote them. Either way they should not be in charge. They abuse thier power and do not respect employees.

8. "Peet's Shift Lead"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wauwatosa, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wauwatosa, WI

I worked at Peet's (More than a year)

Pros

positive culture, great product, fun

Cons

Grew too quickly. Not study markets they went into. Not supported by any kind of marketing

"Negligent, a disappointment"

Current Employee - Retail Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Retail Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Peet's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product, great peers, great customers. I learned a lot about espresso, coffee, tea, became a bulletproof barista.

Cons

Overworked, understaffed, underpaid. They keep loading more grueling responsibilities on the RA's plate, with no sense of what it takes to do our jobs. Closing is terrible, the corporate focus is myopically over-concerned with the morning coffee rush, leaving us unprepared and understaffed for every afternoon and evening shift, over and over again.
    You can't get a raise outside of the yearly cycle unless you're promoted. The only promotion opportunities are to Shift Leaders, which mostly get hired from outside to ex-Starbucks managers, and which most any clearheaded RA wouldn't ever want to do. So, you're stuck with your base salary of (recently mandated minimum wage of) $10, regardless of how valuable you are to the company, how busy your store is, how much money you're making the people up the ladder.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees, think about their experience. Work at our level, for even a moment. So much potential, so little room for discussion. Recognize when an employee is valuable, and try to retain them. All of the experienced employees are heading out the door, and it's a big problem.

"Big Learning Lesson"

Former Employee - Cashier/Barista in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Barista in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Peet's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learn to work in high speed, high volume, loud environment in close contact with coworkers
    Free coffee

Cons

Customers assume you are barely educated if at all.
    Management assumes you have no life outside work; was regularly scheduled for shifts outside my availability and burden of finding coverage for those shifts placed on me.
    Company projects image of upward mobility but favoritism verging on quid pro quo is the actual practice for promotions.
    The squeaky wheel gets the grease: quiet, hardworking employees are not rewarded for proven performance, instead management puts fires out via throwing money or promotions at employees who threaten to leave or sue.

Advice to Management

Stop practicing fear or pressure to increase/improve store numbers/performance, instead train employees directly and stop using supervisors to train when it's actually assistant and general manager's job.