Peet's "barista" Reviews | Glassdoor

Peet's Employee Reviews about "barista"

Updated 19 Nov 2019

3.7
Peet's CEO Casey Keller Jr. (no image)
Casey Keller Jr.
Pros
  • "Best work environment I've been in so far(in 39 reviews)

• "flexible schedule, management is orderly, get free coffee and pastries when you are on the clock(in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • "Many times shift leads would ask Barista's to assist their role whilst performing our tasks(in 41 reviews)

• "The pay was what you would expect for just a barista doing a pretty straightforward job(in 41 reviews)

Reviews about "barista"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Loved it!"

Former Employee - Barista in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Peet's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible schedule, free coffee, great customers and team! I'm an early bird and opening was my favorite shift. You see a lot of the regulars in the morning.

Cons

There were so few cons! The pay was what you would expect for just a barista doing a pretty straightforward job. It really depends on your manager and I had a great manager.

Peet's2017-03-21
  2. "Chill Environment, Fast Paced Business"

Former Employee - Crew Member in Daly City, CA

I worked at Peet's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Relaxed Management Free Coffee Pay raise when promoted to barista

Cons

Early mornings and late nights depending on location

Peet's2019-07-30
  3. "Good job for students"

Current Employee - Advanced Barista in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Peet's part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

All coffee is made by hand which allows for baristas to truly prefect their art. Stores are run individually so if your manager is good your experience will be good.

Cons

Very low pay. There is room for grown and improvement but pay increases are laughable.

Peet's2019-06-01

"Good benefits, so-so culture"

Former Employee - Barista in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Peet's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free Coffee, Tea, drinks, pastries Free 1/2 of beans or tin of tea per week Discount off of merchandise, beans Creating close relationships with coworkers and certain regular customers

Cons

Upper management is solely focused on profit. There is a huge push in-store to meet sales numbers but retail associates and baristas have to fight for enough hours to survive. People are promoted to supervisory positions not because of how much work they put in from day-to-day or how good of a leader/trainer they are but simply because their personalities are favorable to district managers who feel they're... potential money-makers or because they don't have career prospects in the near future. That means a lot of employees end up in supervisory roles that frequently call out, break rules, get into conflicts, and either refuse to delegate to their subordinates or force their subordinates to do their work. Almost every shift lead I've ever met has committed enough company infractions, including showing up late, no-showing, insubordination, or stealing, to warrant firing based on our disciplinary point system, but managers and even district managers sweep the infractions of their favorite employees under the rug. The point system is only used when in the interest of management, and this isn't coming from someone who ever received any points or got into any trouble in his many years at the company. Not to mention, there is a huge drug problem within the company. I have met so many store employees that are either alcoholics or who recreationally do cocaine and other harder drugs. I've seen employees, including supervisors, show up to work inebriated, including district managers. But this is all pushed under the rug very well by middle management. Finally, there is a massive disconnect between corporate and retail. Corporate RARELY visits anything other than flagship stores and I have rarely seen ANY corporate employee or regional manager + even acknowledge the existence of baristas or store staff that are not in management roles. They will not greet you. They will not smile at you. They look down on you. It's hilarious when 20-somethings from corporate from HR or marketing come to do a "special event" at a store and they spend 90% of the time staring at their phones and laughing while store staff run around like chickens with their heads cut off trying to compensate for poor staffing and poor management. I'll end with this. I had a district manager get into a conversation with me about how he sees retail staff. "This is a job for college students. They do a year. They leave. We have a Peet's customer for life. Nobody expects them to work hard because we pay minimum wage. They do the job and they leave and then we find someone else."

Advice to Management

Revamp how you hire, train, and promote.

Peet's2019-04-17
  5. "It’s ok"

Current Employee - District Leader

I have been working at Peet's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great customers, baristas and terrific coffee

Cons

Disconnect with corp and management

Advice to Management

I’m not sure it would matter here

Peet's2019-04-03

"Good Benefits, Terrible Training"

Former Employee - Team Member

I worked at Peet's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good Benefits- 3 free drinks while on duty, one free 1/2 lbs take home every week, 30% drinks while off duty, helps pay for college, insurance, etc. Regular customers where nice to meet, you can tell they love the product and the employees at each location

Cons

Bad training- I was only here for a little over a month before I had enough. I was trained only four days then they left me on my own. Every shift there would be something that went wrong because I didn't know how to ring up a specific drink or what to do when we run out of cold brew, etc. Too many drinks- There are too many drinks on the menu, some of which no one ordered in the time I was there. Most of the... time people ordered drip coffee or espresso-based drinks such as lattes or cappuccinos. There is no reason to have 10 different types of tea fogs and cold brew fog lattes when no one is ordering them. It clutters up the POS screen and makes it difficult when you're first learning. Also, there would be buttons for drinks and syrups that they wouldn't even have any more such as SF Chocolate Syrup, just get rid of those. They expect you to know what's in every drink- I had not even started drink making and they expected me to know how many shots or pumps of syrup were in every drink and I could never find the DAG (book with all the recipes) to check so I would have to bug the barista to ask or just guess. Competing information- while I was there the managers/trainers would give me competing information like the egg and cheese sandwich has to be warmed open face then when performing that task during another shift a shift lead told me that it does not have to be warmed open face. This happened on multiple different occasions regarding when to brew more drip coffee vs. reduce waste and use a pour over or how to refill the simple syrup. It was confusing and made me feel stupid since I would mess up multiple times during every shift. More of a sales role- They also expected me to hit at least 5 points while ringing someone up while also trying to have a genuine connection and being fast. Big emphasis on upselling bakery items since that's what really drives up sales because drinks are pretty reasonably priced. 1) Greet 2) ask what they will have 3) upsell a specific bakery item 4) checking in with peets app? 5) thank them how does this leave room for a genuine connection especially with the line out the door. It's very robotic and people dont like being sold on things they dont want. Lots of food waste- every night the bakery items and extra premade teas and cold brew were just thrown away in the name of freshness. I understand why this is but instead of throwing it away this would be a good opportunity for the company to invest in philanthropic or community involvement and donate the food to local food shelters. Such a waste of food.

Advice to Management

Get better training procedures for new hires to start them off on a good foundation and stave off discouragement. Make sure information is uniform across all employees so there is no confusion. Drink making or at least knowledge of the recipes should be a class when first hired to increase product knowledge so new hires will be able to immediately answer customer questions, learn the POS screen better and be more... efficient while on duty (i.e. not have to ask the barista or manager questions constantly). For a company who prides themselves on their founder being basically the father of the coffee movement in America you really take coffee, which should be at the forefront of the drink, and add a bunch of artificial ingredients to cloud the taste. Go back to your roots and reduce the menu. You don't need so many tea fogs, cold brew fog lattes, and Javivas. The customers already like the fresh bean aspect and the fact that the staff is so knowledgable about the roasts. More and more people are going to third wave coffee shops because they have better atmosphere and a simple menu that lets the taste of the coffee shine through, they aren't bombarded with choice overload and cognitive fatigue. Peet's would benefit from making some major changes not only to improve customer experience but employee satisfaction.

Peet's2019-02-28
  7. "Work Hard, Have Thick Skin and You'l be just fine"

Barista Trainer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Peet's for more than a year

Pros

Truly great Coffee and Tea. You will receive a weekly take-home of either a half pound of coffee, K cups, or a tin or box of tea. You will also have access to unlimited brewed coffee, tea and coldbrew whether you are on or off the clock. When you are working you receive 3 drinks of any variety and a pastry for free.

Cons

The biggest vice I have with Peets is that they run on a customer first mantra so they care more about the customers than their employees and unfortunately I was situated with a few inefficient coworkers at an incredibly busy location causing a myriad of problems. The Location I worked at was situated at a University center with multiple business structures near by and as such it had a substantially higher customer... flow. As such it was a profoundly fast paced environment and unfortunately we follow the cookie cutter mantra as do most corporations. When you are on Bar you will be expected to make every drink within 5 minutes and if you do not the screen will turn bright red. Although this is absolutely feasible with a slow flow of traffic when it is busy there will often be 3 people working register and just a single barista causing a hectic backup of drinks. You will often be scheduled more than you have stated that you are available to. You will be offered promotions that will entice you but the training process is long and you will be expected to be trained all while during an average day causing mass delays to the training process leaving you locked into the job for substantially longer than most expect.

Advice to Management

Be direct and strategic with the delegation of tasks, communicate with your employee's when they are doing things well instead of only employee's that are doing things poorly. The training process to develop barista's is long and as such it is imperative to treat your best and veteran employee's well because a revolving door of employee's resigning creates a disparity between those bar certified and those training... that shifts an even larger amount of stress and responsibility on the barista's.

Peet's2019-02-04
  8. "Bad management, horrible customers."

Former Employee - Shift Lead in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Peet's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Tips, good baristas,, nice location.

Cons

Low pay, bad management, bad customers are treated better than the employees.

Advice to Management

Listen to your subordinates, care about your stores.

Peet's2019-01-11
  9. "Not much to say."

Former Employee - Barista in Chicago, IL

I worked at Peet's part-time for less than a year

Pros

You get free coffee and pastries.

Cons

Tremendous pressure on understaffed baristas due to focus on product delivery time. If customers treat you poorly, management will not support you.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Give them better reasons to stay, such as benefits and compensation.

Peet's2019-01-08

"It’s okay"

I have been working at Peet's part-time

Pros

Good drinks, free drinks and a pastry, employee discount and take home, diverse coworkers...

Cons

The pay is rather low for the labor they make you do. Takes forever to get promoted. They put effort in at first to train you but then after that, they don’t really mind you just being a Retail Associate rather than a better paid Barista.

Advice to Management

Train faster so employees can get better pay.

Peet's2018-05-09