Peet's "flexible schedule" Reviews | Glassdoor

Peet's Employee Reviews about "flexible schedule"

Updated Aug 8, 2019

3.7
Peet's CEO Casey Keller Jr. (no image)
Casey Keller Jr.
Pros
  • "Best work environment I've been in so far(in 40 reviews)

• "flexible schedule, management is orderly, get free coffee and pastries when you are on the clock(in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • "Many times shift leads would ask Barista's to assist their role whilst performing our tasks(in 41 reviews)

• "The pay was what you would expect for just a barista doing a pretty straightforward job(in 41 reviews)

Reviews about "flexible schedule"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great coffee shop to work for"

I worked at Peet's full-time

Pros

Offer flexible scheduling, which is great for students

Cons

No problems for an hourly job

Peet's2018-01-02

"The Oldest Coffeebar Chain in the Country Needs Some Work"

Former Employee - Shift Lead in Chicago, IL

I worked at Peet's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free Coffee, Half-Decent Tips, Flexible Scheduling

Cons

Unresponsive Management, Sub-Par Benefits, Corporate Dis-enfranchisement, Minimal Consistency,

Advice to Management

Peet's is going through a lot of changes, and the storefronts reflect it. As the company has expanded beyond its home turf in the California West Coast where they dominate the market, it's also very quickly fallen into a divide with a metric that focuses on California first and everything else second. I worked in the Chicago district. I was constantly frustrated as upper level management (district and regional... levels) would constantly get reshuffled and replaced with little warning so expectations, missions, and goals were constantly changing. The amount of nepotism that runs rampant in Chicagoland stores is also enough to rival the nepotism that occurs in the Windy City's town hall. Individuals have been absolutely terminated and placed in positions they weren't in line for or simply not ready for solely based on who they kept in a close circle and who they kissed up to. Conversely this also means that any constructive criticism given by lower level employees to the regional and district management is largely ignored or used as leverage against employees when it comes to reviews or reputation. They make no effort in hiding who is a "problem" employee and gossip and rumors run rampant. During me tenure I worked under 5 separate store managers who were more often than not moved by the company rather than leaving; 4 separate district managers who all had different management styles and focus, making work often unpredictable and frustrating. Peet's has an aging customer base an they're desperately trying to appeal to younger consumers without much success. Their core business model needs to change entirely, as they've branded themselves and wholly accepted their status as a premium coffee brand, therefore excluding a lot of what makes coffeebars attractive to a younger audience. The company's approach may have worked for half a century, but it's far too conservative to make it stand out today.

Peet's2019-08-08
  3. "Great fast paced environment"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly

I worked at Peet's part-time

Pros

Flexible scheduling, tips, training provided

Cons

There was a lot of moving around in management which led to some disorganization but now it should be fine

Peet's2019-05-29
  4. "Easy part time job"

Current Employee - Barista in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at Peet's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Cons

the customers can be the worse and some coworkers are unreliable

Peet's2019-02-28
  5. "Shift Lead/ Barista"

Current Employee - Shift Lead/Barista in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Peet's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great People Flexible Scheduling as long as there are staff Fun work environment

Cons

Hourly Pay Poor training sometimes depends on management No Room for growth depending on location

Advice to Management

Pay your workers better, especially people in management

Peet's2018-12-14
  6. "Barista"

Former Employee - Barista in Oakland, CA

I worked at Peet's part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Flexible Schedule -Fun work environment -Discounted drinks and food -Good Tips

Cons

The management was often absent or unengaged. Many times shift leads would ask Barista's to assist their role whilst performing our tasks.

Peet's2018-08-25

"Fun place, labor model way less than great"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Peet's full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The product is bar-none, the team is generally amazing. The best customers in the industry. A lot of visibility when it comes to learning a business. Fun and upbeat work environment. Flexible scheduling.

Cons

The labor model is seriously flawed. If you need to hire, good luck managing the unrealistic expectation of keeping labor in budget. You have two options: hire and train badly with little labor, hire and train well but lose your monthly cash bonus for missing the mark.

Advice to Management

Fix labor. Give managers a budget for the year, not weekly or monthly since we care most about turnover on a yearly annualized basis. Budget each coffee bar with target number of hires per year and have protected training hours given per hire. Anything beyond those budgeted new hire hours should come out of the running cost of the coffee bar.

Peet's2018-08-14

"Good First Job"

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Peet's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule, manageable work load

Cons

Lack of strong management and poor communication

Peet's2018-08-13

"Shady..."

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor

I have been working at Peet's full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits are okay and discounts are okay. They have rolled back on the discounts for employees and customers alike though. The flexible scheduling is okay and overall it's a okay job.

Cons

I think what Peet's is forgetting is it's employees. My store has recently been doing everything to fire anyone who does any small thing wrong. This has created a bad environment to work in. Who wants to work somewhere where they think they'll be fired from one customer complaint, or missing 5 dollars from their tills. The discounts are being rolled back for employees and customers alike. Examples include only half... a pound of free beans, 30% employee discounts, limited to 3 free drinks. They say their beans are quality. This corporate giant also actually cares about yelp reviews, like they are the most serious thing in the world. So a 5 year old can write about a bad review about you and you might be written up for it also. Peets also tries to make you stay in their company, by saying you will get a promotion and chances are you will not get it. Some people get dragged into this "promotion idea" saying they needed to be "developed" more. Transparency is clearly an issue with this company as they will find any reason to keep you where you are. Turn over at Peet's is also quite high because of all the factors I've said and most of all the pay. Why do a job with a high stress environment if you'll get paid a little over mim. wage.

Advice to Management

It's time to change your treatment of your employees. How many times have you allowed Alfred Peet's vision be destroyed by these "budget cuts?" If you want to know why you guys can't keep a CEO or leadership team, it's because you lack transparency and support for you employees. People who are tenured in Peet's literally make less than the people who join today.

Peet's2018-02-26

"Barista"

Barista in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Peet's for more than 5 years

Pros

Minimum 20 hours to receive good benefits,flexible schedule, free coffee!

Cons

worked at the company for 5 years recived a raise of about 10 cents per year, no incentive for promotion, managers are paid only 1 dollar more then normal retail associates, managers ranging from district to regional managers disagreeable and not personal at all

Peet's2017-09-29