Pei Wei Asian Diner Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John 'J ' Hedrick

Pros
  • Fun atmosphere , fast paced , free meals, great coworkers, good benefits (in 21 reviews)

• Great people, good management, good food and food discount for employee (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is very strong on their way and there is no time to explain why you did something (in 10 reviews)

• Not really cons just fast paced so you must stay on your toes not a laid back job (in 8 reviews)

1. "Fun, easy work for decent pay"

Current Employee - Dish in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Dish in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Pei Wei Asian Diner part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management is laid-back and VERY flexible to your scheduling needs. Was asked only one question at the interview ("why do you want to work here") then gave me the opportunity to try out the job to see if I was a fit, regardless of my past experience. That's the way it should be. The work environment is only fast-paced during night shifts so oftentimes you get paid to eat free food and joke around with the employees.

They do not drug test, which is a good thing considering that they're pointless anyway since they can't accurately detect hard drugs after a couple of days, but can pick up harmless cannabis use even weeks after consumption. I don't do drugs but I applaud the company for making a wise decision by saving me time, and them money.

Overall, this is one of the most fun and easiest jobs I've ever had; I've worked a *lot* harder for a *lot* less pay. Within a few months I expect to be running the place.

Cons

My only complaint is that I was trained by a man who couldn't speak a word of English; thankfully the tasks involved are so simple that I was able to become comfortable with job in a couple of days.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, but consider reevaluating your training process.

2. "Worked as a member of the wait staff for a summer job and really enjoyed the experience and pride they maintained ."

Pros

Fair and well established semi-fast food restaurant with an easy to follow routine that maintains a flow in the work environment.

Cons

I ate way to much Asian food, otherwise minimum complaints.

"Fast-Paced, treat-you-right kind of place"

Current Employee - Cashier in Garland, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Garland, TX

I have been working at Pei Wei Asian Diner part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management is flexible and understanding, really great communication skills from my managers

Cons

Restaurant hours not so great. I average 25-30 hours and I only get two days off

Advice to Management

The whole corporate check-ins bother me because they change things without knowing or caring about the effect it will have on the employees.

5. "Kitchen Manager"

Current Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Pei Wei Asian Diner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Quality of life, two days off, two weeks paid vacation, good salary for a fast casual restaurant
    easy to learn systems and practices
    Flexible scheduling
    Great Benefits and opportunities
    i personally received several opportunities and have managed to work up the ranks quicker than most restaurants

Cons

Relatively stressful environment, as most fast paced restaurant are.
    at times labor intensive
    Kitchen Strong and Kitchen Driven establishment

6. "very good."

Former Employee - Server in Woodbury, MN
    Former Employee - Server in Woodbury, MN

I worked at Pei Wei Asian Diner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

time off, good training, manager was awesome.

Cons

upper management, low pay, good,

"Pei Wei"

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Pei Wei Asian Diner full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

room for growth, fair, fast paced, never a dull moment

Cons

stressful, extremely tight budgets, poor bonus structure, management works hourly positions in addition to managing

Advice to Management

Budgets are so tight and labor goals so low with some lower sales stores that it is impossible for managers to manage the store without having to work hourly positions themselves. This makes it increasingly hard for them to manage the staff and interact with customers.

8. "Good place, good pay."

Former Employee - Cashier in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Cashier in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Pei Wei Asian Diner part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people usually and good food. I enjoyed the people and company morals were okay.

Cons

Management sometimes rocky and that's literally the only qualm I have about this company.

Advice to Management

Please please make an effort to make the FOH and BOH a team. People work better together when management makes an effort.

9. "Great company with endless potential growth"

Current Employee - Market Partner in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Market Partner in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Pei Wei Asian Diner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Our unique culinary style is the best in the industry. Fresh, fast and fun! Being paired with our sister company, PF Changs, gives us market credibility not to mention a unique style of wok fresh entrees. They are leading the market in fast casual dining and will continue to evolve and get stronger annually.

Cons

Relocation is sometimes required but if you want to get ahead you have to take the risk. It's a challenging concept to execute and finding the best leaders in the market can be challenging at times.

Advice to Management

The market is evolving and changing everyday. Stay ahead of your competition! Know your market trends and become a better operator. These days you have to read and study what your competitors are doing to stay on top.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Waitress in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Waitress in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Pei Wei Asian Diner full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great experience. Clean place. Nice management.

Cons

Kitchen staff was a little too much sometimes

11. "Great Place"

Pros

Many opportunities with this company! They love to promote from within and if you show the dedication, you can do it.

Cons

Hours can get cut short if labor is high. They need to have a better interviewing process to better assess the applicants who apply.

Advice to Management

Communication between management should be better. Often times there is little to none between them. If they improved this, the store would run a lot better.