Pei Wei Asian Diner Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
John 'J ' Hedrick

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great pay, enjoyable environment, amazing staff, and an excellent management that taught me all about cooking and cleaning in a fast paced restaurant (in 26 reviews)

• Great people, good management, good food and food discount for employee (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Zero Upper Management Communication (in 11 reviews)

• Not really cons just fast paced so you must stay on your toes not a laid back job (in 8 reviews)

1. "worst job"

I worked at Pei Wei Asian Diner part-time

Pros

there are no pros for Pei Wei besides that I liked my co-workers

Cons

Overworked, understaffed, never could get time off and if you asked in advance sometimes they would schedule you anyways

2. "Management"

I worked at Pei Wei Asian Diner full-time

Pros

Some of the people though many be careful around - not sure who you can trust

Cons

Where should I start - they are a very questionable company with some very inexperienced leaders - new 1st time ceo, his team, etc. Turnover is unheard of due to how the company is being run. They do not reimburse employees for work mileage or anything for that matter - who does this? It's scary most days. Advice - work for a company with stability not uncertainty

Advice to Management

Advice to the holding company - watch these company and its activities closely

3. "Server"

Pros

-Co-workers
    -Pay
    -The whole atmosphere
    -50% off food

Cons

-Only get breaks for working a double shift

4. "Do not work at Pei Wei."

I worked at Pei Wei Asian Diner part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hire almost everyone because they are constantly looking for new people as most people quit after working a short time.
    The food is good there.

Cons

Lack of central control by managers, one manager would tell me to do one thing while the other would send me somewhere else.
    Little to no breaks are given.
    No set schedule: I understand you might have to work later if it is busy, I get it. But scheduling me till 3, and not scheduling the next person till 5 meant that I actually would work till about 5:30, not 3.
    No potential for a raise. I worked there for a year and asked for a raise. Nope. My friend worked there for 2 years, and asked for a raise. Nope again.
    No set job due to understaffing and disorganization. You work as a busboy, server, cashier and chef, meaning no downtime. No set title and understaffing meant I had to take someones order, serve them their order, and then clean up (which is an unsanitary process). This wouldn't be a problem if there was only a couple of people dining. I had to do the whole process while the line was out the door.
    Pei Wei is anti-tip. Pei Wei says its fast-food when asking why you don't get tips, but when telling you all the stuff you need to get done, they say its fine dining so you need to work harder. Which is it? There is no tip jar or no place to tip on receipts.
    AVOID THIS JOB.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better, and the employee turnover rate wouldn't be so high. If you don't let employees get tips, pay them better.

5. "meat cutter"

Former Employee - Meat Cutter in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Meat Cutter in Tampa, FL

I worked at Pei Wei Asian Diner part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

day time hours were good

Cons

rude management. good hours at first. after cutting 45 lbs steak,45 lbs of chicken chunks and 90 lbs of chicken, all i marinated and then was told to cut another 120 lbs of chicken. it took me 11hours and 48 min from start to finish. I told management the time frame involved, he did not care!!! I was taken off the schedule the next day , no explanation to me, saying he will call me back later. That never happen. That is the thanks i got. I guest they didn't want to cut meats for the next 2 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I even worked days off sometimes to get hours that were cut on the original schedule.

Advice to Management

Rude, Thinking they are GODS and talking to employees any kind of way is not a good think. Thats way the turn rate is soooooooo! high!!!!!!

6. "good food not good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Katy, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Katy, TX

I worked at Pei Wei Asian Diner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

really cant think of any

Cons

you don't get a break unless you work a double shift, you are expected to do other jobs other than what is your title, for the same pay. Beef, chicken, salad and sushi are sometimes prepared quite close to each other so there is a chance of cross contamination .

Advice to Management

forget about impressing the female staff and making friends and be a bit more mature and vigilant.

7. "This job sucked"

Pros

Coworkers were nice
    Ok food
    Easy job

Cons

Terribly corporate
    Annoying turnover with management
    Overworked underpaid
    Expected to scrub toilets

Advice to Management

Get over yourselves, your selling noodles not saving lives . Stop taking advantage of desperate people . Get a new job

"General Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Pei Wei Asian Diner full-time

Pros

Free food, cooking with the wok's can be fun once you get the hang of it.

Cons

Not organized,
    Hourly employee's control your fate with the company
    Upper management will criticize you and offer help in the public view but will never follow through.
    6 day work week & 12 hour days

Advice to Management

Don't base your training on the most common term of " you get what you put in" that's a cop out for you lack of time and training. Don't let NRO's distract you from your duties to develop your future management team's. Treat everyone equally.

9. "Server"

Former Employee - Server in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Server in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Pei Wei Asian Diner (Less than a year)

Pros

Discounted Meals
    Flexible hours
    Paid time off

Cons

Management was very surreptitious, they schemed for me and other workers to quit because it would look bad to corporate if they fired us. They have been reported countless times and when investigated throw up a smoke screen

10. "beat"

Former Employee - Cashier in Moorestown, NJ
    Former Employee - Cashier in Moorestown, NJ

I worked at Pei Wei Asian Diner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

decent pay, base is 8.00 plus tips, ok hours.

Cons

horrible management, tips are not required by customers. You end up doing a lot of work for little money

Advice to Management

get better