Pelican Imaging Reviews | Glassdoor

Christopher Pickett

1. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Pelican Imaging (Less than a year)

Pros

Supportive atmosphere and friendly coworkers.

Cons

Not much to say for this.

"Very poor management. Can't see any future for the company."

Pros

Has decent quality table tennis players. Perfect place for getting good training in ping-pong. The company has a better chance of making money by organizing table tennis tournaments and selling tickets.

Cons

The company had developed reasonable technology but after 7 yrs of efforts and more than 40 million dollars in funding, the company could not sell one product and now has less than 10 people remaining. That is a very poor track record. Can't see the company staying for another yr.

Advice to Management

Time to wrap up and go for something new. You don't hire VPs a month before laying off almost 70% of your employees.

3. "A Place to Innovate - great team, great tech"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Pelican Imaging full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pelican offers a rare opportunity these days - a place to work on new, innovative technology with a highly skilled and experienced team. Its a joy to work with some of the brightest minds in the industry - the team's passion is contagious and rubs off on you right away. For me, the 'work hard, play hard' work/life balance is ideal.

Cons

One problem that isn't so obvious with working with so many brilliant minds is that they always have great new ideas - but sometimes you have to say no to new ideas to develop and ship the existing ideas. Having the discipline needed to define & focus on a shipping a product is something Pelican could do better moving forward.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people. Great people make great products - great products make successful companies.

"Good opportunity to learn or make a difference"

Former Employee - Imaging Systems Engineer
    Former Employee - Imaging Systems Engineer

I worked at Pelican Imaging full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My experience at Pelican Imaging was positive, and I feel that working here was a great decision from the standpoint of personal development. I joined early on and participated both in the technology group and engineering groups. I think that there is a good opportunity for anyone young and scrappy who has aptitude and desire to succeed and gain a lot of experience in the computer vision and technology group or who enjoys tackling software engineering challenges. If you are competent and a hard worker there are good opportunities for mentorship and personal development. But, as in any other venue in life, it won't be handed to you, and you have to throw down and get your hands dirty to get there.

The problems we worked on in the technology group are legitimately interesting from an academic perspective. Also, being oriented to opportunities and methods in computer vision is a priceless opportunity in my opinion. It is not often that one can be paid to work on problems like these, so in that respect it was a pretty satisfying place to work.

In my opinion, there does seem to be intrinsic value to the basic technology and there are numerous opportunities to match the technology to some market need, and I felt that there was a strong (and shared) awareness of this in the technology group.

All in all, I am happy that I worked at this start up.

Cons

I think that the cons were typical of most startups: maintaining communication across groups, keeping the entire company apprised of the most recent developments, and encouraging/training/rewarding good or sustainable engineering practices that take longer to institute initially, but pay off in the long run. These items are not so glamorous but they are key to a functioning and successful engineering organization. In my observation this has been improving over time, though.

6. "Cutting-edge technology"

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Pelican Imaging (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pelican is leading the charge in array camera technology. As an employee you have the opportunity to work with engineers that are highly regarded in their field, and continue to develop and broaden your own skill set. We are well aware employees at Pelican Imaging are highly sought by other companies.
    All levels of management, including CxO level are completely accessible to all employees at Pelican.

In addition to working with talented and accomplished people on a cool product, other perks include:
    - Flexible hours
    - Generous employer contribution toward medical, dental and vision
    - Catered lunches and breakfast
    - Fully stocked kitchen
    - Company sponsored events
    - Company equity

Cons

Pelican's bar is set high. Be prepared to spend a lot of time on the whiteboard if you interview with us.
    I do not feel this is a 'con' but Glassdoor insisted on a comment. ;)

"Pelican"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Pelican Imaging (More than a year)

Pros

Company was formed by few researchers to compute depth on digital images using an array camera.

Cons

Pelican burned all its cash chasing customers. Unfortunately, their technology wasn't good enough to be sold as a product. Their closest competitor, Lytro, didn't succeed either with a superior product and business model.
    Management fooled VCs on the upside of the technology. They lied to engineers on valuation of company. Most of their engineers have left now and company is not able to hire any. CXO team is trying to fool potential candidates by putting fake reviews on glass-door.

Advice to Management

It's too late for any advice.

8. "So much potential..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Pelican Imaging full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting technology with lots of potential. Talented teams of engineers. Free food and snacks. Flexible work schedule. Friendly coworkers.

Cons

Higher employee turnover than other startups.

Advice to Management

Need to Focus on execution.

"Patent Company Pretending to Be A Product Company"

Pros

If you're an imaging or computer vision scientist, you might find an interesting role here developing new algorithms to patent.

Cons

Unless you're working on core image processing algorithms, you'll just be working on one demo to the next to prospective OEMs. So, if you want to develop product, this is not the place to be. You'll be doing pre-sales demo development at best, toward selling the IP to OEMs who will them implement their own solution assuming any of them ever license the IP.

The demos on the website, at least when I was lured in, were faked simulations. I wish I'd known before I committed myself to the company. When you interview, be sure to ask what is real and what is an expression of unrealized possibilities.

More than half the engineering team has left in the past six months, including two VPs and a Director. A former Java QA engineer is now acting head of engineering. These facts speak for themselves.

The stock packages are of unknown, probably minimal, value. Why? Management decided at some point to refuse to inform candidates and employees of the number of shares outstanding or, for that matter, any other information critical to evaluating the packages. Therefore, you should assume the packages to be worthless. Especially, do not take a sub-market salary as it is unlikely that options in a start-up of this age and with such limited candor will be worth anything at all.

Advice to Management

The management that can talk the talk but cannot walk the walk should be replaced. Look at the credentials of the executives and you'll see what I mean, although I do not limit this point to just executives. There's a lot of debilitating hierarchy in the company.

"Engineer"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Pelican Imaging full-time

Pros

Really well run company with top CEO, CTO, Marketing. Best in class. All of them are trustworthy, smart, honest, and competent and have proven themselves to be industry leaders. Well respected by everyone in the company and across the whole industry.

Cons

All the positives above are complete lies. The level of incompetence is unbelievable. Every month another senior person leaves. Complete lies in how much your shares are worth. Hidden deals where the CEO and CTO have agreements to not be diluted when everyone else is. Won't tell you percentage of company or what the cap multiplier are. We don't know what are shares are worth and all rumors point to percentages that might by a $10000 car if the company sells for $300M. Recent competitor just sold for $20M.
    Leadership is at an all time low.
    Executive team doesn't show up for the company picnic. Executive management is in by 9, out by 5 and never on a weekend.
    CTO is smart. CTO is clueless in running a team. CEO is a patent lawyer trying to be a CEO and failing miserably.
    Good engineers and interesting technology but the writing is on the wall.

Advice to Management

Resign before you are fired.

11. "Great team, amazing technology, just needs to get it out there."

I worked at Pelican Imaging full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The technical team here is amazing. Top notch engineering in so many areas. The technology is also very interesting, and way ahead of all of the competition. There are so many ways that this will be game-changing in the mobile industry.

Cons

The company has been around a long time without getting the product to market. The first several years were really a research phase, but the last 2 have been product focused, and they are still trying to get it into the first shipping products.

Advice to Management

Focus on the first product, and get it out there. Don't worry about anything else, and don't get distracted by trying to do too much. The technology is so far beyond what's out there that the extra bells and whistles will make for a great "version 2.0", but aren't critical. Don't let others catch up to the great lead you have.