Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects Reviews in Connecticut | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Associate"

Former Employee - Associate in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Associate in New Haven, CT

I worked at Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large projects, close tutoring, unlimited tools, software, lasers, 3D printers, wood shop, photo room, free lunch, flexible hours, raise every year, 2 half bonuses a year, weekly pay.
    Learn to design and then if you feel stuck fly away. It is what it is.

Cons

Mostly SD, a little DD hardly any CD. Still some people managed to acrue hours for licencing. No real rewards, no HR. Insane hours.

Advice to Management

Review and reward performance. Have HR. Fire the cook.

"Review for Designer Position"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

I worked at Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the more positive aspects of my time at PCPA were that I was able to be very involved with client presentations and coordination meetings. I was able to travel with my team for meetings which is unusual in most firms for younger people. The office itself is filled with wonderful people that are amazing to work with. You can learn a lot at this firm, there just might be a limit as to what you can do with that knowledge moving forward.

Cons

The experience and opportunities you get at PCPA will completely depend on which principals team you are on. There seems to be no opportunity to move from one team to another if you are unhappy, and the principals are very possessive of their people, which creates an imbalance in the firm. There will be some teams with members who have nothing to work on, while another team will be working 80+ hours a week. The work hours were often intense, and although they do pay overtime, it comes along with the attitude that because they pay overtime, they have the right to have you work nights and weekends. It was often hard to achieve a good work/life balance, and I often found myself checking with my team/management about having the weekend “off.” Even the free lunch is used as a reason to stay and eat at your desk while working.

There is a low percentage of women in the firm, even less in leadership and there doesn’t seem to be an incentive for women to stay and try to move up. The office can be a bit of a boys club and those in the boys club will definitely advance first (and be given more responsibility on projects regardless of experience).

The firm seems to have a total disregard for LEED and environmentally conscious design. While many individuals there may have a different viewpoint, the office itself seems to only embrace these principals when forced by codes or clients. It’s a very sad outlook for an architecture firm to have, especially as PCPA is working on projects all over the world, and could easily ensure their buildings really have a positive impact on their environments.

There is little opportunity to be involved in office activities outside of work, there are no groups or clubs or team-building or morale boosting activities that you could join to get to know more of the office or create a sense of belonging.

There is a complete lack of interest in professional development at the firm. Very few people are licensed and the principals to not seem to care if young professionals get licensed at all. While I was there I was actively discouraged from studying for ARE’s so that I could devout more time to a project. There are also no opportunities to attend conferences, forums or lectures sponsored by the firm. If you are interested in professional development, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

I think the firm could really benefit from a type of mentorship program. There is really no one to speak with if you are unhappy or have issues with a team member (although I found issues with teammates to be rare). The lack of an HR department makes it difficult to know who to speak with if there is an issue.

3. "a good employer in the profession"

Former Employee - Architectural Designer in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Architectural Designer in New Haven, CT

I worked at Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects full-time (More than a year)

Pros

relative high pay and reasonably low cost of living; high profile projects; design teams have different styles;

Cons

Not the most attractive small city; little sense of professional growth; company puts in little efforts to keep employees

Advice to Management

consider relocating core office in the future

4. "Ok place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

Pros

good pay, good work environment

Cons

problematic management, many lazy colleagues

5. "Learning Lots"

Current Intern - Architectural Designer in New Haven, CT
    Current Intern - Architectural Designer in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very easy going and relaxing office atmosphere. Everyone is really friendly and helpful.They work the interns hard so there's a lot to learn and there's so many projects that new employers are usually responsible for designing their own projects, mostly in China

Cons

Long hours, normal for an architectural intern.

Advice to Management

none.

6. "Had the privilege of working on projects all over the world."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

Pros

Great reputation, immediate project responsibility, great design, client interaction, worldwide focus.

Cons

Long hours, frequent rushed deadlines, fast paced.