Pendleton Woolen Mills Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Mort Bishop

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Part time sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Pendleton Woolen Mills part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The staff is awesome and small in my store. A lot of down time to chill while in between customers at this low traffic location.

Cons

Some of the customers are absolute condescending jerks. Most of them OLD (60+) , they think because they've known Pendleton longer that they know everything about the product and company. ..even more than the employees! Many of the older clientele are stuck in their ways and refuse to change with the times which can make it difficult to sell to them. Especially, since the company is changing their brand direction as a whole. A LOT of customer service/customer interaction with unpleasant people.

Advice to Management

The pay is typical for entry level retail but because they're a smaller brand, you hardly ever get raises. (2+ years with the company and I got a $.25 raise) Customer service needs access to the company inventory to assist customers. Hire better HR people. Upgrade your technology to get with the times. Make sales goals achievable and realistic based on each stores location.

"A wonderful company!"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Pendleton Woolen Mills full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Contrary to many other reviews on here, I have absolutely loved my time working for Pendleton. I believe in the product, especially the menswear and the gorgeous home goods. The clientele and staff are always fun to work with and there is the perfect ratio of fun and challenge on a day-to-day basis.
    Most importantly, the company recognizes talent and hard work and promotes first and foremost from within, which is so rare and admirable when it comes to retail these days. The benefits are also fantastic.
    I highly recommend working here.

Cons

The only thing I would recommend is fully committing to gearing your women's wear towards a slightly younger demographic, as you have already been doing with men's. The last look book featured men with tattoos... but why not do the same with women's? You're on the verge of something great there as well, keep going.

"Assistant Planner"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Pendleton Woolen Mills full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family owned
    Great product
    Good corporate values

Cons

Low wages
    no parking
    minimal upward mobility

4. "hostile environment"

I have been working at Pendleton Woolen Mills full-time

Pros

I can't think of anything PRO

Cons

people do not listen to you

Advice to Management

hire people and keep the people who are actually civil to each other and every one around them.

"Great Potential Completely Squandered"

Current Employee - Retail Associate
    Current Employee - Retail Associate

I have been working at Pendleton Woolen Mills full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My direct team is amazing and supportive
    Great product discounts

Cons

*Unimaginible disorganziation in leadership
    *Terrible communication to stores about promotions or new product
    *The blame for failure at the corporate level gets passed down to store level employees
    *Increased focus on 'Made in China' product has resulted in overpriced clothing that has a horrible fit and obviously cheap quality
    *Corporate management is throttling the creativity and the passion of their employees by micro-managing stores and preventing employees from moving up in the company
    *Hard work and enthusiasm does NOT get rewarded here. It's mainly "who you know" at the office that will get you promoted.

Advice to Management

Start caring about your retail employees as we are the ones selling your product
    Streamline the archaic hierarchy at corporate so that ideas can get passed along and new life can be breathed into this floundering brand
    Actually listen to feedback from customers and your employees on the ground

"Don't work here if you're under 40"

I worked at Pendleton Woolen Mills full-time

Pros

Great products, insurance, pay/benefits, friendly people

Cons

Stuck in the past. People promoted due to loyalty, NOT experience or ability. Lazy/stubborn employees allowed to coast because they're syrupy sweet and suck up. High school popularity contest atmosphere. Ineffective middle management. Verbally abusive managers face no consequences. Employees who've been there decades are way behind in their industries & resistant to change. Very high turnover of young, bright, smart people who actually know what they're doing. Unsafe office in bad part of town. No transit passes.

Advice to Management

Turn things around FAST or Pendleton is gonna tank, regardless of the 150-year history. Get wifi & IM in the office. Improve office safety/security so mentally ill/homeless people can't wander in and steal people's purses. Trim the fat & fire people who don't know what they're doing and show no ROI (like everyone doing social media/branding), even if they've been there decades and know how to sweet-talk you. Work harder to recruit young, bright, smart people at the top of their industries from companies like Nike & Adidas instead of from dying companies like Norm Thompson. Concrete changes do more to boost morale than cookies.

7. "It wasn't a bed of roses"

I worked at Pendleton Woolen Mills part-time

Pros

People I worked with at the store level.

Cons

Horrible management, little incentives. Did not feel appreciated.

Advice to Management

All people should be treated with respect.

8. "Sales Associate"

I have been working at Pendleton Woolen Mills part-time

Pros

Quality products with loyal customer base. Most staff are well-informed about company history and product knowledge, and are focused on excellent customer service.

Cons

Outdated RPRO technology for this day and age. Corporate communication is often confusing due to lack of adequate information and poor grammar/communication skills.

Advice to Management

Invest in your staff to retain quality employees. Provide more autonomy to store managers for general decision-making and staffing decisions. Good employees with great sales and customer service skills are paid too little and receive less hours. Some staff are hired on as sales leads without prior sales experience, given higher salaries/benefits and more hours, yet end up displaying extremely poor customer service skills, and expressing negative attitudes towards company and staff.

9. "Store closures happening"

I have been working at Pendleton Woolen Mills full-time

Pros

They provide a good work/life balance.

Cons

Corporate management doesn't seem to have their act together. It's like nobody communicates with each other, so you end up with very mixed messages.

Advice to Management

It would be beneficial to have better systems in place so communication isn't contradictory. Let your store managers have more input about what their stores stock. They know what their customers want/need.

10. "Company is quickly closing overnight!!!"

I have been working at Pendleton Woolen Mills full-time

Pros

You receive surprise phone calls from corporate that your store will be closed within 2 weeks and you will not receive any extra compensation.

Cons

Company is quickly closing. Was given notice that my store would be closed within 2 weeks. Everyone in corporate are liars especially the area managers. Biggest mistake of my life.

Advice to Management

You should be ashamed of yourselves. You are screwing over employees that have been with your company atleast 5 years. How dare you do this? We have bills just like you do. How am I suppose to feed my kids?