Pendleton Woolen Mills Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mort Bishop

"Gives Recognition To Hard-Workers"

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Pendleton Woolen Mills full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-STAR program reinforces positive motivation for all employees to continue to do what is expected of them!

-Company recognizes star employees and is willing to cooperatively work with those who show potential.

-Company also understands customer service in a whole aspect, providing exceptional service despite being a smaller brand.

-Despite claims about HR and other corporate members, the golden saying is: "Treat others the way you want to be treated," is the key to any life lesson.

-Company provides great benefits to full time employees, even giving us our birthday paid off! That's unheard of in retail, but so greatly appreciated here.

-Company's smaller size provides an opportunity to get to know your people through channels of communication, allowing everyone to establish authentic relationships. I have been with the company for several years and have yet to witness anyone resistant to help someone else succeed. Team atmosphere is prominent.

-Company has transitioned in the past years to become current while staying try to brand image, transition has been bumpy but I believe Pendleton is onto something extraordinary if they maintain this stride.

-Company overall has a charm unlike any other company, despite several offers I've had, nothing will compare to the home feeling that Pendleton cultivates each day I go to work.

Cons

-Structure is needed for certain things such as email communication, more regulated safety meetings (quarterly to every six months with teams), stores need remodeling & updating - please close attention to these stores, vital in maintaining brand image. This cannot be ignored, but there shouldn't be any challenge for when a store needs a new rounder/4way/tstand/mannequin. We shouldn't be reprimanded for taking pride in how our stores look & the safety of our teams/customers. Customers will notice a leaning 4way or loose tstand more than you may think. Why are new stores receiving neat fixturing, displays, signage? Treat your current stores the exact same way. Our people and customers will appreciate it. The stores feel this more than you realize. Gotta spend money to make money! ;)

-Company needs to maintain product that reflects Pendleton. Much of the clearance product we sit on today is because people can buy that same top/pants elsewhere. Eliminate unnecessary product if it does not compliment higher margin pieces.

-Company should be more aware of discounts for product. If product is new in store we do not need to automatically provide percentage off; let it sell for a couple weeks, then trend to higher percentage or maintain after certain point. I recognize I may not fully understand how this works; still it seems as though we have opportunity to make more money and we lose that.

-With above mentioned, I've always wondered if RPRO is able to allow the company to make product automatically ring at percentage off. This way stores cannot accidentally ring a product for less/more percentage that it is. Absolutely random, but just thinking!

Advice to Management

There is no place like Pendleton. The quality of life here is unbelievable and I am so grateful to be apart of this. I bring forth my cons in hopes the right person sees this and can bring it to someone's attention. I post through confidentiality because I've asked these things and have little to no success for an affirmative answer but maybe I am asking the wrong person!

If you are considering a career with Pendleton please don't let the previously mentioned interviewed people or employees distract from what really exists here. I'm not biased because I have seen others in the industry suffer because companies are unwilling to achieve employee happiness that supports the business, or creates product as iconic as Pendleton (which my wallet and closet hate me for haha!) One bad apple does not represent the overall atmosphere that Pendleton has here: home.

2. "Store closures happening"

I have been working at Pendleton Woolen Mills full-time

Pros

They provide a good work/life balance.

Cons

Corporate management doesn't seem to have their act together. It's like nobody communicates with each other, so you end up with very mixed messages.

Advice to Management

It would be beneficial to have better systems in place so communication isn't contradictory. Let your store managers have more input about what their stores stock. They know what their customers want/need.

3. "Company is quickly closing overnight!!!"

I have been working at Pendleton Woolen Mills full-time

Pros

You receive surprise phone calls from corporate that your store will be closed within 2 weeks and you will not receive any extra compensation.

Cons

Company is quickly closing. Was given notice that my store would be closed within 2 weeks. Everyone in corporate are liars especially the area managers. Biggest mistake of my life.

Advice to Management

You should be ashamed of yourselves. You are screwing over employees that have been with your company atleast 5 years. How dare you do this? We have bills just like you do. How am I suppose to feed my kids?

"Hopeless career move"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Pendleton Woolen Mills (More than a year)

Pros

Monday through Friday work schedule.

Cons

Stuck in the stone age. Poor leadership/vision. Morale very low. Fighting everywhere.

"It's A Mess"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Pendleton Woolen Mills full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get an employee discount on the beautiful blankets. Pendleton sells fabrics and blanket patterns to designers and other manufacturers who make more innovative and fashionable items, and some of these products are also available at a discount.

Cons

Top down management style is an archaic hierarchy of family and "friends" who thwart the creativity and inspiration of their own product development teams. The company is dominated by mostly incapable, unexperienced, and fear-mongering leadership.

"long time employee"

I worked at Pendleton Woolen Mills full-time

Pros

good job for a hard worker with high standards

Cons

they hold on to employees that do not perform well and have terrible inter personal skills

Advice to Management

systems need total re boot
    get rid of the dead wood
    get back to inforcing fit standards

8. "Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Manchester Center, VT
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Manchester Center, VT

I have been working at Pendleton Woolen Mills full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I Love this company! I have worked in a lot of retail stores and Pendleton is by far the best! I have a great manager who truly treats me as a partner, he has taught me so much. I love that the other people in the company truly root for your success it's nice to be acknowledge by your peers and it builds a great trust. I will end my career here!!

Cons

It's hard to find a con, other than the usual pay is a little low, but really I turned down higher-paying jobs and have never regretted it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Your new women's collections are awesome, updating without loosing the quality is bringing in new younger customers everyday!

"Great summer with Pendleton"

Former Employee - Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Pendleton Woolen Mills (Less than a year)

Pros

Motivated employees. People seem to really enjoy what they do. My boss was also incredibly knowledgable in his field, learnt a lot in my 2 months there.

Cons

Very slow to update software as well as many standard practice procedures. Might benefit from a revaluation of some current business practices.

Advice to Management

Give some middle managers more leeway to implement and follow what they see fit when it relates to their speciality.

10. "AWFUL"

I worked at Pendleton Woolen Mills full-time (More than a year)

Pros

So sad, the product is beautiful and the clients are great! The store manager is an insecure, lazy, do nothing.

Cons

If you want to work for a company that lets the store manager get away with not doing her job, hey sign up at pendleton.

Advice to Management

Do more surprise visits at your stores and see what really goes on. Managers who sit being the counter all day and pretend to work while other people do all the hard stuff. The store where I worked our manager NEVER NEVER did a display window at all! Any heaving lifting or any physical activity she had no part of. That sounds fair right? This store like the other 9 that closed in 2016 will probably close as well.

11. "A Great Place to Grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Pendleton Woolen Mills full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for Pendleton has given me opportunities that I would not have gotten elsewhere. I have been given the tools and guidance needed to grow and thrive in my current position.

This company is a family run business and the president treats the employees as if they were truly part of his family. He takes time to get to know everyone's name and makes it a point to say hello. I have not gotten that at any other company I have worked for. It makes my experience working here even more personal. This is not just a job, but a family.

The wool products are amazing! Pendleton runs two of the five only remaining mills in the US. Pendleton has been around for over 150 years. I feel proud to work for a company with such a rich culture and history in the NW.

I am able to have a great work/life balance, which is a huge benefit. The health benefits are great, the employee discount is huge and the sample sales are amazing!

Cons

The technology is a little outdated, but there are large parts of our systems that are currently being updated.

Advice to Management

Continue making your employees feel like they are part of the family.

Pendleton Woolen Mills Response

May 3, 2016 – HR Generalist

We are happy to hear that you enjoy working for Pendleton! Thank you for your feedback! Thank you.