Penguin Random House Senior Designer Reviews | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Senior Designer

Penguin Random House Senior Designer Reviews

Updated Sep 20, 2019

3.2
Penguin Random House  CEO Markus Dohle (no image)
Markus Dohle
  1. "Great place to work at!"

Current Contractor - Senior Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Penguin Random House for less than a year

Pros

Great home to work balance

Cons

It's a large corporation so the response is a bit slow

Penguin Random House 2014-11-06

"Good company to work for but slow growth"

Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Penguin Random House full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits, flexible hours, good company for parents, and nice office space

Cons

Growth is very slow, tight deadlines, and volume of work is high, salaries are low compared to other publishers

Advice to Management

Competitive salaries and more room for growth in the design departments would be a great incentive and motivator.

Penguin Random House 2019-09-21
  3. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Penguin Random House full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Generous benefits package, work/life balance encouraged.

Cons

Limited room for growth, limited salary.

Penguin Random House 2019-02-21

"Good experience"

Current Employee - Senior Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Penguin Random House full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Surrounded by smart people who love books. Good vacation policy, work/life balance.

Cons

Pay could be better--meaningful raises are hard to come by. Can be cliquey.

Penguin Random House 2018-08-05

"The Best Publishing House to work for"

Senior Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Penguin Random House

Pros

Random House is incredibly organized and smart when it comes to how they are publish their works. And the way they function is very humane with they're working hours and opportunities for extra curricular within the company. Additionally their benefits are some of the best in any industry including a great 401k, dental, vision, and health.

Cons

There is not a huge amount of opportunity for advancement, especially in smaller departments and the benefits soften the blow but pay can be well below industry standards. Also depending on a department by department basis, Random House can both be very modern and old fashioned in how it operates. Mostly this isn't a huge concern but in certain instances they seem to be reluctant to embrace more efficient... methods.

Advice to Management

I would advice to just have a clear set of goals to set out a career path for some of the departments.

Penguin Random House 2015-10-07

"Chilly as Antarctica"

Senior Designer in London, England

I worked at Penguin Random House

Pros

A large team of genuinely interesting people to work with in a convenient central London location. Free books on the pulp shelf. Cafe& Gym in basement.

Cons

Senior management is so distanced from the rest of the staff. "Them & Us" mentality, bad communication from above, and low morale among staff. Pressure is piled on and praise non existent. Everyone is stressed and tensions run high. Pay is rubbish, because IMO they coast both on their name and employing lots of nice girls with private incomes who want to work in publishing as a sort of hobby. Yearly salary... increases are lower than the rate of inflation (but if you have a partner who is a surgeon, or in banking, or in anything with a decent salary as a lot of staff do, it doesn't matter does it?), and raises in my experience only ever given if offered a job elsewhere. Flexible working hours refused for single parents. Union representation ignored by HR. (And recently the CEO publicly acknowledged in the press that they would by-pass the union when making upcoming post-merger redundancies). Unpaid overtime and late nighters are expected as standard and time in lieu is rarely given. Staff are expected to take up the slack when staff leave and are not replaced. My job responsibilities and job creep grew and grew in a decade there, & in appraisals I would get upbraided for my admin failings, yet was employed as a designer to a team with an admin assistant... never employed on the basis of my XL spreadsheet skills. I wasn't granted flexible working hours despite other members of my own team having it. In the end I realised that I was never going to get out what I was putting in and have gone freelance. (And I never get work from them)

Advice to Management

Recognise the talent you have within your walls and stop squashing it! It's not all about the dollar signs (except I'm not sure they would believe that)

Penguin Random House 2017-03-27