Penguin Recruitment Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Penguin Recruitment Director Jim Richardson
Jim Richardson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Where Hard Work is Recognised!"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I have been working at Penguin Recruitment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The first and foremost reason I love working at Penguin Recruitment is because your hard work is always recognised. There is always a variety of incentives that will motivate you to work hard and the rewards are fantastic! The different types of incentives mean there is something for everyone who works here.

The team at Penguin Recruitment are close-knit, we motivate each other and we all genuinely want everyone to succeed.

Cons

The only downside to working at Penguin is that we are situated to quite a few lovely pubs, but as we all get on so well it is a nice way to end the working week.

"An experience..."

I worked at Penguin Recruitment full-time

Pros

The staff- resilient despite the madness and always offering support to each other, had some great times with them in the office and outside.
    The 'pod skippers' - calling these people managers would lead you to thinking they actually manage, but this is done from the top. However, the managers I had the pleasure of working with were superb characters and a big help day-to-day.
    Some incentives worth praising, notably at Christmas and the 'raffles' - it's just a shame that they don't go far enough though.
    Good launch pad for a recruitment career elsewhere - you learn the hard way.
    The ping pong table.

Cons

Micromanagement from the top - the managers have little influence, you know everything comes from above them and the frequent 'business updates' leave you little time to recruit.
    Being called Penguins repeatedly.
    Lack of career progression.

Advice to Management

Allow your managers to actually manage and the teams might grow.

Jul 20, 2017 – Owner

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We would of course prefer all our employees to build a long career at Penguin, but I fully accept the reality of the competitive, commercial world we... More

"A decent place to learn the 360 recruitment ropes"

I worked at Penguin Recruitment full-time

Pros

Due to the 360 nature of the job Penguin is actually a great place to cut your recruitment teeth - you have to do everything bar chasing payments - so you learn quickly how to do advertising campaigns, searches, the interview process, offer management, Canvassing for business etc... It sets you up well for your next job in recruitment.
    There are decent team incentives - days out, sporting events, Lavish Meals, go-karting etc.
    A good place to make friends.

Cons

There was a culture of checking / micromanagement which came from the very top. Regular 'business updates', internal emails being monitored etc
    Being a smallish firm it's a very flat structure and with a settled management team in place it is hard to progress beyond being a good billing consultant.
    I was often distracted by petty battles amongst management as to which radio station was playing, whether doors windows were open or closed, whether food stuffs were in the office bin rather than the kitchen bin etc

Advice to Management

Treat people like adults. Referring to consultants as 'Penguins' and running interview countdowns based on e.g. 'your favourite Disney character' just gave the impression sometimes that we were working in a school rather than a professional sales office.

Jul 20, 2017 – Owner

Thank you for the review. My colleagues and I appreciate the positive comments around the manner in which we both train and develop our new consultants to enhance their recruitment skills and... More

"an honest review."

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I worked at Penguin Recruitment full-time

Pros

The staff on the work floor make this place - always tried to remain positive and upbeat day-to-day.

Cons

Micromanaged! Constant 'business updates' and emails meant your focus was taken away from doing your job effectively. You would then be put under more pressure for not hitting target.

Managers have little influence - no breathing space to run your teams properly and get the best out of each member of staff due to constant and often unnecessary pressure from the top.

The Monday afternoon 'business update' when you would have to shout out your figures from the week before against target - The lower/newer members of staff would be left red faced and ashamed if their figures were not on par with members of staff for instance who had been there a lot longer (nothing was said or done to encourage after this ordeal). Managers were also expected to shout out figures and were treated on the same level as someone who had been there for a week.

Constantly being referred to as 'Penguins'.

Advice to Management

Give your team room to breath and they will flourish. Keep on the same track and you will only lose more long-serving members of staff.

Jul 20, 2017 – Owner

I'm beginning to wonder if we might be being targeted here with a campaign to discredit us – a sudden flow of similar reviews. It’s a competitive market and some will do whatever it takes to try to... More

"Ok"

I worked at Penguin Recruitment full-time

Pros

Good people (members of staff) and a good working environment.
    Some of the incentives are good, others are not so.
    The managers within the business are fair

Cons

The commission structure is not all as it seems and is evidently not that great.
    Sometimes you are treated like children with the lack of autonomy

"Not the best"

I worked at Penguin Recruitment full-time

Pros

The people who work at Penguin are good fun

Some managers were good. Although most were not managers

Some incentives were good

Cons

Often treated like a child

Micromanaged from the top down

No career progression. Financially only benefits the two directors. Even those next on the ladder seem to be a million miles away. What is there to aim for?

Advice to Management

Listen to what motivates people

Stop micromanaging and let the managers manage

Give your staff something to aim for

"Good in parts, bad in others"

Pros

Good summer and winter incentives

Cons

Going to play on a trampoline or bowling doesnt provide motivation for an adult billing in access of £100k. Can be treated quite childlike at times. No reason to want to become a team leader / manager.

Advice to Management

Listen to what motivates staff

Jun 28, 2017 – Owner

What can I say – You can’t please all of the people all of the time. Incentives and team building activities are part of our DNA. In the last 2 months we have been surfing, paddleboarding and Go Ape... More

8. "Going from strength to strength...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Penguin Recruitment full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great earning potential with generous rewards. They say a workplace is nothing without good people and this place certainly has some of the best people I've had the pleasure of working with.
    Also the directors have made a big push forward to grow individual's career prospects as well as business through continual money and time investment!

Cons

Long working hours, however this is made better by the early finishes, end of month incentives and late starts we are regularly rewarded with.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work...

"Excellent Incentives and a fun office environment!"

Current Employee - Lead Consultant in Swansea, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Lead Consultant in Swansea, Wales (UK)

I have been working at Penguin Recruitment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Penguin offer exciting team building activities, substantial bonus scheme and great incentives! Most recently team building activities have included trampolining, white water rafting and climbing. Penguin also offer monthly incentives which really pushes you to hit targets! This weekend I am going to watch an Autumn International Rugby Game in the Millennium Stadium courtesy of Penguin Recruitment and I have previous had 2 Jeroboams of Champagne and a new TV!! The team are also really friendly and supportive!

Cons

Sales targets do not appeal to everyone but I love a challenge!!

Advice to Management

Please keep up the incentives they are fun and push me to exceed targets.

"Worst employer award goes to...."

I worked at Penguin Recruitment full-time

Pros

Playing the radio, nice in the summer, wireless headsets.

Cons

Very male-dominated, incentives are lies, insensitive towards family bereavements, intrusive about personal situations whether that be medical, emotional etc. hire and fire company, don't pay employees money correctly, unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Don't offer incentives just to take them away once they are hit.

Jul 21, 2017 – Owner

Thank you for the review although I am of course disappointed with the content. Apologies for not responding sooner but it has only recently been brought to my attention. As this is a site that... More