Pennsylvania Counseling Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 13, 2020

3.5
Pennsylvania Counseling Services CEO, Founder Dr. Roy Smith, PhD
Dr. Roy Smith, PhD
Pros
  • "I was treated with dignity and respect throughout my entire tenure with PCS(in 7 reviews)

• "Care about clients and employees(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "The only con I can think of is the fact that I had to move on from PCS due to a relocation out of state otherwise I would have hoped to stay at(in 6 reviews)

• "Unfairly Low Pay- I worked in my department for 3 years and was the 2nd longest person there, yet I was the lowest paid(in 3 reviews)

1. "Great company!"

Former Employee - Nurse Practitioner

I worked at Pennsylvania Counseling Services part-time

Pros

This is a great company to work for. They have grown quite a bit over the years but still value their employees!

Cons

I can’t think of any!

Pennsylvania Counseling Services2020-03-14
  2. "Excellent Place to Work and Grow"

Current Employee - BSC/MT in York, PA

I have been working at Pennsylvania Counseling Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

PA Counseling services is a family oriented and caring place to work. They maintain a business while also meeting their employees needs and where they're at. They work with their employees to find their strengths and to offer promotions from within. They also try to hear you out and accommodate where they can. There is lots of flexibility within the job and supports to ensure you feel comfortable. The health benefits and time off are also competitive if not the best in the area.

Cons

If you're hourly vs salaried and clients no show or cancel last minute it can effect your pay.

Pennsylvania Counseling Services2020-02-20
  3. "Executives do not practice what they preach"

Former Employee - Care Navigator in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Pennsylvania Counseling Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great non-executive level co-workers, wonderful clients and nice straight pictures on the walls

Cons

Micro management and executives that care more about their investors than their employees. They preach that relationships matter but this is not reflected in the way that they treat their employees. And don't even try to hang something on the wall in your office.....

Pennsylvania Counseling Services2020-02-06
  4. "meh"

Current Employee - Forensic Therapist in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Pennsylvania Counseling Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company offers supervision and consultation at most times. Each clinic is supportive. The training's are in-depth and have increased my knowledge as a clinician.

Cons

The top dogs either micromanage or are unsupportive. Once a program is started they forget about it.

Pennsylvania Counseling Services2019-09-12
  5. "Good stepping stone into the field"

Current Employee - Therapist in Lebanon, PA

I have been working at Pennsylvania Counseling Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Cheap supervision and access to free training.

Cons

Pay, non-compete contract of 5 years with a 30 mile radius, time off is limited, turnover, massive amounts of paperwork and constant change.

Pennsylvania Counseling Services2019-06-29
  6. "Family based therapist"

I worked at Pennsylvania Counseling Services

Pros

Community centered. Continued education. Supportive

Cons

Unrealistic expectations regarding paperwork. Headquarters is more interested in the money rather than the individual therapist.

Pennsylvania Counseling Services2019-06-11
  7. "TSS"

Current Employee - Tss in York Haven, PA

Pros

Awesome coworkers and you make your own schedule

Cons

They’re are no cones

Pennsylvania Counseling Services2019-06-05
  8. "Best company I've ever worked for!!"

I worked at Pennsylvania Counseling Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This company was amazing to work for! I started as a TSS and was promoted into a BHRS Administrator position. This company fostered my learning, development and encouraged my growth within the company. I was treated with dignity and respect throughout my entire tenure with PCS. I honestly can not recommend this company enough. PCS really set the tone for my career. Another huge plus is the amazing people that I met during my career at PCS. My co-workers turned into family. We encouraged each other to ensure that the children and families we were working with succeeded in the process. I truly believe in the PCS mission and the work this amazing organization and employees are doing every day. PCS is truly helping ALL people to discover their greatness.

Cons

The only con I can think of is the fact that I had to move on from PCS due to a relocation out of state otherwise I would have hoped to stay at PCS for my whole career.

Pennsylvania Counseling Services2019-04-12
  9. "Wonderful Company with chances for growth"

Former Employee - Tss in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Pennsylvania Counseling Services part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Flexible Schedule -On the Job Training -Weekly Support Meetings -Fair Hourly Pay INCLUDING Travel Time -Direct Support Services for Students with Disabilities -Great Benefits -Opportunity to Grow within the Organization -Does not Discriminate -Fulfilling Job Working in the Community If you have just graduated from college, and need a job to help pursue your career goals, Pennsylvania Counseling Services is the organization for you! Wonderful on the job training, weekly team meetings to provide feedback, generous wages and benefits, and a supervisor assigned to each employee who is available around the clock for guidance and feedback to help problem solve your first job experience working directly with clients. This job provided a wonderful stepping stone for me to apply the material I learned in college to the real-life work situation of the day-to-day working with struggling clients. A completely rewarding job I highly recommend.

Cons

- Sometimes clients are difficult to manage, but there is always support in place if needed. I have seen negative reviews on this site, which saddens me. It appears these negative reviews come from former employees who work ethic is questionable, and they feel scorned from being called out about their work performance. The job is NOT easy, but is highly rewarding to those individuals with a strong commitment to providing services for the under deserved community. Sometimes the only structure these clients receive are from this organization, so keep that in mind when things are difficult.

Pennsylvania Counseling Services2019-02-12
  10. "Overall Good Place to Work"

Former Employee - N/A in Lebanon, PA

I worked at Pennsylvania Counseling Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very family oriented. The dress code was casual, I could come to work in leggings and a shirt everyday. The owner walked around occasionally and would actually acknowledge you; You aren't just a number there. The benefits were awesome as I didn't have to pay ANYTHING towards it. If I was sick, or just needed a mental health day, I didn't feel shamed for calling off. Being that it is a family owned operation and not some big corporation, they were more lenient and understanding towards employees and their situations.

Cons

Unfairly Low Pay- I worked in my department for 3 years and was the 2nd longest person there, yet I was the lowest paid.

Pennsylvania Counseling Services2019-02-11