Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources Reviews | Glassdoor

Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources Reviews

4.1
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place for a summer job"

Pros

Good supervisor, great schedule and good working conditions

Cons

Working in hot weather, but you get used to it

2. "Forest Technician"

Former Employee - Forest Technician in Butler, PA
    Former Employee - Forest Technician in Butler, PA

I worked at Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Access to a lot of experienced professionals with great skill sets.

Cons

Must work alongside individuals not necessarily motivated but remain employed because it is difficult for the State to sever employment. Advancement can be difficult unless willing to move

3. "Working at Presque Isle might be the best job I will ever have."

Former Employee - Lake Erie Lifeguard Supervisor in Erie, PA
    Former Employee - Lake Erie Lifeguard Supervisor in Erie, PA

I worked at Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You always know what your hours will be. The scenery is beautiful. I enjoy working with the people I work with.

Cons

The unfortunate side of the being a lifeguard at Presque Isle is that it is seasonal. Also it is difficult to get time off.

Advice to Management

More leniency with granting time off.

4. "PA DCNR - great state agency"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful coworkers. Nearly everyone is passionate about the agency's mission to conserve PA's resources and bring recreational opportunities to our citizens.

Other pros: good benefits, stable job (for non-appointed employees)

Cons

The cons have more to do with the fact that it's still state government - bureaucratic, "chain-of-command" reliant structure. Things move slowly, many times.

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Committed and supportive management with clear focus on mission.

Cons

Institutional change moves slowly. Average salary supported with strong benefits and pension.

6. "A great place to work if money is not an issue."

Former Employee - Parks Management Trainee in Emporium, PA
    Former Employee - Parks Management Trainee in Emporium, PA

I worked at Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to work outside a lot, in nature and preserve the beauty of our environment for everyone.

Cons

When working indoors, you will be working on outdated equipment and with extremely limited budgets as the state continues to cut spending. Money is a huge disappointment - though I did expect a low salary - there was just no way to work this job and pay for student loans. The ends wouldn't meet. Ultimately, I ended volunteering for a year after college (my parents were very supportive in letting my stay at home for free and helping me along the way) with DCNR to get the opportunity to apply for a Park Management Trainee position. I finally got the interview, second interview, offer and accepted but ultimately chose to move on after finding I just couldn't make ends meet. And that was the end of working for the state government for me.

Advice to Management

Public/private partnerships are where things need to head. It's tough to work in uniforms that aren't made for the outdoors (ex. Police Depts switching to Under Armour). It's even tougher to work on computers that are a decade old. If money to support parks and rec opportunities isn't coming from the public side and parks are suffering, the only other choice is to get it from private sources.

7. "The Department of Environmental Protection, Engineering Scientific and Technical Intern"

Former Intern - Engineering Scientific and Technical in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Intern - Engineering Scientific and Technical in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The DEP was a fun company to work for. We did take our job seriously, but we got to take bug samples from streams and boat and catch fish many days out of the summer. It was great, and everyone was friendly.

Cons

Due to current office holders in our State Government, the rules were a little bit messed up. For instance, employees were required to put 1000 miles on their vehicles every month or the vehicles would be taken away. Our mission is to protect the environment, not drive around excessively to make it seem like we're doing more.

8. "Good place to work but controlled by politics."

Pros

Great job if you love nature & teaching others about nature.

Cons

Politics control decisions, not best interest or common sense.

Advice to Management

Don't forget the reason our department exists.

9. "Field Worker"

Former Employee - Field Worker in Indiana, PA
    Former Employee - Field Worker in Indiana, PA

Pros

These people were great to work with, the job was enjoyable but physically harder than most. The work hours were flexible and you worked independently.

Cons

The inability of the PA legislators and governor to reach a decision on the budget.Keep

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.