Pennsylvania Department of Transportation Reviews | Glassdoor

Pennsylvania Department of Transportation Reviews

Updated Sep 27, 2019

Found 48 reviews

3.6
Pennsylvania Department of Transportation CEO Allen D. Biehler (no image)
Allen D. Biehler
  1. "Okay"

Current Employee - Engineering, Scientific, and Technical Intern in Oil City, PA

I have been working at Pennsylvania Department of Transportation full-time for more than a year

Pros

My supervisors were very nice, and very accommodating. I was never intimidated out of asking questions, and when I did ask questions they were joyed to answer.

Cons

I was told by many employees to beware, PennDot has a way of sucking you in, and then suddenly 5 years later you're still there in the same position doing the same thing. After interning with them for three summers, I understood what they meant. My peers interning at other companies seemed to be advancing in their responsibilities through the years. I was stuck doing the same thing. Very low pay in comparison to... other opportunities. Then again, I guess I did get paid for what I did----not very much.

Pennsylvania Department of Transportation2013-03-19
  2. "great job perfect for people needing a small part time job"

Current Employee - Janitor in Eighty Four, PA

I have been working at Pennsylvania Department of Transportation part-time for more than a year

Pros

easy work decent pay great hours more contracts to come flexible pay based on if other employees show up or not

Cons

NONE I LOVE IT, not a direct penndot job im a janitor through pba

Advice to Management

promotion, and raises

Pennsylvania Department of Transportation2012-10-02

"Fair pay, good benefits, but lazy people"

in Doylestown, PA

I have been working at Pennsylvania Department of Transportation

Pros

Pay is decent with pretty good job security. Excellent goverment benefits regarding paid time off, sick leave, and holidays paid.

Cons

Sadly, quite a few people that work there have become lazy because they know there job is secure. The result is wasted taxpayer dollars

Pennsylvania Department of Transportation2012-02-27
  4. "Micromanaging is alive and well at Penn DOT"

Roadway Designer in Montoursville, PA

I have been working at Pennsylvania Department of Transportation

Pros

7 ½ hour work days decent benefit package overtime usually available and usually not required to work more than 5 hours of overtime a week.

Cons

Micromanaged management sets dates that are not realistic to complete plans some managers are completely incompetent District executive is more worried about how she looks on paper rather than doing what is best with the tax payers money

Advice to Management

STOP MICRMANAGING your people, we know what to do so let us do it without a ridiculous amount of redundant paperwork and justifications. Get rid of one third of the managers, there is no reason for there to be so many managers

Pennsylvania Department of Transportation2012-01-24
  5. "great time."

in Sunbury, PA

I worked at Pennsylvania Department of Transportation

Pros

the job had a lot of friendly people and was never the same day to day routine. good job overall.

Cons

working out in the environment is always a challenge hot, rain, humid. Keeps you guessing. I liked the challenge. Done.

Advice to Management

Let the employees know that they are doing a job and keep the lines of communication open all of the time.

Pennsylvania Department of Transportation2010-12-13
  6. "Good Summer Internship Program"

Government Service Intern in Lock Haven, PA

I worked at Pennsylvania Department of Transportation

Pros

Great pay, easy work, good working hours, freedom, fun, good people

Cons

same work everyday, working outside in the weather, no chance for advancement

Advice to Management

keep doing what your doing

Pennsylvania Department of Transportation2010-07-20
  7. "great"

Current Employee - Civil Engineer Trainee

I have been working at Pennsylvania Department of Transportation full-time for less than a year

Pros

rewarding, challenging, great rotational program, opportunity for advancement, overtime, travel reimbursement, education reimbursement, chance to work on all different kinds of projects.

Cons

occasionally find yourself scrambling fo something to do, can be boring, a lot of down time in some units (for trainees, since you're only there for a few days or hours)

Advice to Management

none

Pennsylvania Department of Transportation2012-09-27

"My experience with PennDOT taught me to stay in college and ensure I find a better career."

I worked at Pennsylvania Department of Transportation

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work at the Penn Department of Transportation are their state benefits and overall decent pay scale.

Cons

PennDOT is extremely mismanaged, uneffective business. Money is wasted on all levels within the company. Also, any person who has a few years tenure gets job security and loses all motivation to work so you are left working with people who are grumpy and bad role models.

Advice to Management

Leadership at Pennsylvania Department of Transportation is terrible. No opportunities are presented to meet with upper management or to discuss overall organizational goals.

Pennsylvania Department of Transportation2011-11-05