Pennsylvania Department of Transportation "penndot" Reviews | Glassdoor

Pennsylvania Department of Transportation Employee Reviews about "penndot"

Updated Sep 27, 2019

3.6
Pennsylvania Department of Transportation CEO Allen D. Biehler (no image)
Allen D. Biehler
Pros
  • "Penndot has very long term projects(in 7 reviews)

• "Good work/life balance, decent pay considering I worked after my freshman year(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "I do not have any negatives at PennDot(in 5 reviews)

• "Very low pay compared to other internships(in 3 reviews)

Reviews about "penndot"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Civil in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Pennsylvania Department of Transportation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

PennDOT has excellent benefits. The organization has a lot of new ideas and is slowly moving toward a brighter future in transportation. there are a lot of opportunities to pick a career path that fits your wants and needs. In many jobs below the management level, you work your shift and go home. You do not have demands related to work outside of your work schedule.

Cons

The organization is slow to change. Some jobs can be frustrating depending on management and co-workers. The pay is somewhat below what you can get in the private sector.

Pennsylvania Department of Transportation2018-12-18
  2. "PennDOT is superior to other PA State Government agencies; however..."

I have been working at Pennsylvania Department of Transportation

Pros

PennDOT values training and development far above other Agencies under the Governor's jurisdiction.

Cons

Severe silos with many upper managers paralyzed in management skills of 30+ years ago; slow to foster improvements on culture change.

Pennsylvania Department of Transportation2016-06-29
  3. "Network Operator"

Network Operator in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Pennsylvania Department of Transportation for more than a year

Pros

Kind hearted professionals and warm work environment at the server farm for PennDot.

Cons

I do not have any negatives at PennDot.

Pennsylvania Department of Transportation2015-11-15
  4. "Nice people, salaries somewhat low"

I worked at Pennsylvania Department of Transportation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Note: I worked at a district engineering office, not the DMV. So most of the people are engineers, construction managers and support staff. Most people in the professional positions work very hard and take their jobs seriously. Overall, employees are warm and friendly to each other. And it being a government agency, you don't normally take work home, and you get a lot of holidays off.

Cons

Basically the pay isn't up to par with what you can make elsewhere. Many PennDOT jobs are neither civil service nor union, so there is no guarantee of getting raises or cost-of-living increases. Ever since the recession, there has been a pay freeze for people in this group. In some cases, managers ended up making less than their subordinates.

Advice to Management

Many of the talented engineers and other highly educated professionals end up leaving because they can make more money somewhere else. Granted, state budgets are constrained but it would be nice if they could figure out some way to attract and keep the best people.

Pennsylvania Department of Transportation2013-11-25
  5. "Okay"

Current Employee - Engineering, Scientific, and Technical Intern in Oil City, PA

I have been working at Pennsylvania Department of Transportation full-time for more than a year

Pros

My supervisors were very nice, and very accommodating. I was never intimidated out of asking questions, and when I did ask questions they were joyed to answer.

Cons

I was told by many employees to beware, PennDot has a way of sucking you in, and then suddenly 5 years later you're still there in the same position doing the same thing. After interning with them for three summers, I understood what they meant. My peers interning at other companies seemed to be advancing in their responsibilities through the years. I was stuck doing the same thing. Very low pay in comparison to... other opportunities. Then again, I guess I did get paid for what I did----not very much.

Pennsylvania Department of Transportation2013-03-19
  6. "great job perfect for people needing a small part time job"

Current Employee - Janitor in Eighty Four, PA

I have been working at Pennsylvania Department of Transportation part-time for more than a year

Pros

easy work decent pay great hours more contracts to come flexible pay based on if other employees show up or not

Cons

NONE I LOVE IT, not a direct penndot job im a janitor through pba

Advice to Management

promotion, and raises

Pennsylvania Department of Transportation2012-10-02

"My experience with PennDOT taught me to stay in college and ensure I find a better career."

I worked at Pennsylvania Department of Transportation

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work at the Penn Department of Transportation are their state benefits and overall decent pay scale.

Cons

PennDOT is extremely mismanaged, uneffective business. Money is wasted on all levels within the company. Also, any person who has a few years tenure gets job security and loses all motivation to work so you are left working with people who are grumpy and bad role models.

Advice to Management

Leadership at Pennsylvania Department of Transportation is terrible. No opportunities are presented to meet with upper management or to discuss overall organizational goals.

Pennsylvania Department of Transportation2011-11-05