Pennsylvania Psychiatric Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

William B. Daly, MA

"Counterproductive Leadership"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Pennsylvania Psychiatric Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, nice coworkers, I like the patients, and the work I do.

Cons

Narcissistic CEO makes dangerous decisions that effect the patients and staff's safety. He is never in direct danger seeing as he never steps foot on any unit! He blames the unit managers and staff when the inevitable happen, and people get hurt or feel unsafe.
    Other cons-
    -Dangerous patients (with low staffing)
    -HORRIBLE communication
    -leadership is selfish and non-supportive
    -Rigid scheduling (especially weekends!)

Advice to Management

Clean house. And start at the top!!

Pay attention to staff concerns. I promise you, you have a lot of really great nurses who are trying to improve the place. Best of luck to them, and I'll miss them! ...Listen to yhese people! Be smart enough to see through the phonies!!!
    Get a new CEO. One who will be present and be willing to literally jump in and get their hands dirty. Maybe even do a 1:1 with one of the patients you keep re-admitting (even though they are always at baseline)!! Yes, come get spit on, verbally berated, punched at, and show us how we should handle the situation... It's not like an all staff meeting, you won't be able to just fire them if they start embarrassing you.

"Secretary"

Former Employee - Administrative Secretary in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative Secretary in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Pennsylvania Psychiatric Institute (Less than a year)

Pros

I had my eyes open to a whole new world in the mental health field. I was able to work with a different range of ages from child to elderly.

Cons

I don't really have a downside of working with the company. I was there for years and I was able to learn and experience a lot of different things. I loved all the different roles I played with the company.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work.

"nurse"

Former Employee - Nurse in Reading, PA
    Former Employee - Nurse in Reading, PA

I worked at Pennsylvania Psychiatric Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some great staff to work with. Some have lots of experience. Great compliments of staff are found in some shifts.

Cons

No retention and/or recruitment committee, or notion to do either. It's as if management does not care.
    There is a SEVERE problem with communication, of any kind. One department never knows what another one is doing. Worst staffing issues I have seen in an employer. Everyone seems to want a part in staffing the units, but no one does it even remotely effectively. Unfortunately, the people involved in the staffing are NEVER the ones actually working the floors. Total chaos every shift trying to decipher exactly who IS scheduled where. Every week per diems called off that management still thinks are to work?
    Almost daily revamping of policies. A copy is put in front of you with changes and you are expected to sign this, indicating that you are aware of same. That way, you can be fired at any moment you forget the 50,000 changes and do something detrimental in the eyes of the governing powers. Eyes are on you, you can be sure.
    Acknowledgements of their employees come in the form of last year's cards sent by mail with no gift. Keep in mind that the business is several millions of dollars in debt.
    Drive-by shootings witnessed by patients. Muggings of staff in the darkened parking lot. The psych communities, both the professionals and the consumers, are familiar with the bad reputation. For this reason, no seasoned professional wants to work there. Patients don't wish to stay there. Staff are turning over frequently. Seasoned staff are being replaced by new nurses out of school. A set up for more failure. Administration does not care. Do not be mistaken. They show every day that they do not care.
    Staff get attacked by patients and are told not to press charges? It's true that psychiatric consumers have far more rights than the staff do, or it appears that way. However, if a patient assaults a staff person, that staff has a right to press charges against the patient, whether they are psychotic or coherent.

Advice to Management

Management as I know it will not take advice from this website. Little by little, the group of upper administration has gathered, and they are an embarrassment to the facility because of their lack of know-how, their mistreatment of staff - other facilities verbalize this. The entire upper management needs to be overhauled before something terrible happens or they run the facility into the ground.

"Great staff. Administration? Well..."

Pros

I loved my coworkers. They genuinely care about patients and work hard at their job. It was great to work with them and I hate leaving them behind.

Cons

Administration is really out to make a profit. This is understandable but they don't really pass that on to the people that work hard at their jobs and place themselves in harms way. There are a lot of questionable decisions made by administration.

Advice to Management

Please look at the people that do the work. They care a lot about the patients and make you look good. Don't confuse your skills with the skills of the workers.