Penny Lane Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Feels like home!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, CA

I have been working at Penny Lane full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been working here for over 5 years and since my first interview, I felt like I was at home. There is so much great supervision and support at the Lancaster office, but you can also feel the passion that The CEO and executive team have for this company and for helping the community. The staff are pleasant to work with and the location differential is very appreciated. You get great experience here while collecting your hours. I also have had the privilege of getting a lot of training that has made me a better professional and a better person.

Cons

Let's face it, community mental health is a rough field, but I know that the supervisory team in Lancaster works hard to keep morale high to help ease the ups and downs of this field. I can't think of any cons of this company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, it's nice to feel support from upper management and executive team.

2. "Great staff, but disconnected, cliquish and biased upper management."

Former Employee - Residential Therapist in North Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Residential Therapist in North Hills, CA

I worked at Penny Lane full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The staff are supportive, passionate and well trained. They truly care about supporting each other and providing excellent care to the kids that stay there. Incentive money is available for exceeding productivity minimums. Dept managers are supportive, available around the clock and provide great supervision.

Cons

Upper management definitely has favorites and there is nepotism among the executive team. While they provide town hall meetings for employees, they are reluctant to answer direct questions and often make vague promises. They are disconnected from the staff that work with the kids... for example, they designed cubicle working space for therapists, social workers, other staff without considering the needs of a functional workspace. They are cramped, some have limited leg space due to shelving placed under the work top, and the chairs bump into the walls of the cubicle of staff moves 6 inches either way. When approached by numerous staff to ask about different accommodations or removal of shelves, staff were told it was too expensive and they could work at a coffee shop. This is only one example, but demonstrates a lack of caring about employee retention, satisfaction and safety.

Advice to Management

It would be helpful if you would spend time outside of your offices, spend time with the employees first hand, and truly observe what's happening in the working environment you've created. It's a beautiful environment, but not functional. It would also be helpful provide answers to staff questions and follow up about where you are with finding answers. Middle managers do a terrific job of this. Upper/executive managers not so much.

"Not a good place to move forward"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Hills, CA

I worked at Penny Lane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Occasional bonuses (see cons for why this isn't as great as it seems....)
    - Generally pretty friendly staff

Cons

This company is mismanaged from top to bottom. Support staff is often overlooked and under appreciated. Managers in all departments (except a couple) think they are the only department that matters and this gives them a very false sense of entitlement and this comes from the very top. Often times it feels that there are more meetings about how to help the clients than actual work helping the clients.

Money tends to be mismanaged like it's nobody's business - spending tens/hundreds of thousands on irrelevant things that do not really help the company move forward and don't help provide better support for the clients who are in need.

Pay was a joke and knowledge was irrelevant. The semi-regular bonuses that my department received did nothing but boost me to a level that brought me in line with what I should've been making with my experience and skill set. Received my annual COL raise 6 months late, and it was presented to me as a favor and as a reward for a job well done, when it was less than $1 an hour. Other members of my team with less experience/less knowledge were making significantly more simply because they were the bosses favorites. On a regular basis, I was expected to work overtime without additional pay, and often times was paid when I was not in the office (sick), and that was used as the reason for me working on a Saturday without pay.

As a whole, Penny Lane was one of the most unprofessional businesses I have ever worked at. There were 9 staff in my new hire training course when I started, and within 3 months, myself and 1 other remained. Now there are none of us, and this is a fairly regular occurrence. Every two weeks, at least 4-6 new employees were on-boarded, and 3-4 left the company. Knowledge and work ethic mean nothing - they look for people to fill seats. When when given ample proof of the inability for staff to complete the job they were hired for, no write ups occur and there is 0 repercussions for not knowing how to do your job.

Advice to Management

Don't treat your staff like they are expendable. Appreciate who you have, and pay a living wage to the staff that keep the company's head just barely above water. The mantra of "we're here to help the children" is a facade - if you're going to preach that, practice that. If staff isn't completing the work they were hired to do, let them go. If staff have proved that they are capable and regularly go above and beyond the job description, reward them for that and make them feel like the company actually cares about them.

4. "A great company that does great work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Hills, CA

I have been working at Penny Lane full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They have many different programs that work to help children and families. Pay is good, during the five years I have worked here, they have given raises and bonuses most of those years. Good benefits. They offer lots of training opportunities. The company continues to grow by adding new programs, so there is opportunity to move to different departments and for advancement in the company.

Cons

Sometimes it can be hard to find parking in the North Hills location.

5. "Great Company to Work For!!"

I have been working at Penny Lane full-time

Pros

(For Lancaster Office)
    Client care is always considered and emphasized as the most important thing here.
    Supportive and helpful Clinical Supervisors and Management - they go the extra mile to plan fun and engaging activities.
    Great salary - location differential offered for Lancaster (score!).
    Love working with my colleagues - seriously they are the best!
    Recognized and acknowledged for the hard work I do.
    Love the clients and families I get to work with.
    Private offices are awesome!

Cons

I honestly cannot think of any! This place is great!
    My only con was that they didn't pay a location differential for Lancaster but they do now, so that's great!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! I love this place!

6. "Penny Lane"

Current Employee - Administrative in North Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative in North Hills, CA

Pros

Awesome place to work. I've never worked somewhere that cared so much about clients and their employees

Cons

Its a big company now and sometimes that offends some people who feel it needs to be more "family" "small company"

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!!

7. "I love getting paid to serve"

I have been working at Penny Lane full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Agencys values and focus is always on client care
    -Fiscally responsible
    -Very Diverse
    -Proactive
    -Forward thinking and progressive

Cons

None that I can think of

8. "Upper Management is all Related"

I have been working at Penny Lane full-time

Pros

The pay is not bad for non profit work. The employee class is pretty easy to work with.

Cons

Management is totally related and unless you are in their "IN" crowd they don't want to hear what you have to say. They say they look at the big picture. They only look at the aspects of big picture they want to see.

Advice to Management

Before creating policies and procedures please make sure they are 1. reasonable policies and procedures by looking at industry standards, and 2 that all of upper management is going to adhere to same policies and procedures that are put out by other departments. I do get tired of hearing well we are the only departments that bring in money.

"Hit and Miss"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Penny Lane full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary is higher than some of the other agencies, if you are a therapist the schedule is flexible. Benefits are fair. Co-workers are pretty great and you will advance if you are willing to put in the work for it.

Cons

They will work you very hard so you will earn every penny they pay you and then some. Management cares about management the rest end up having to deal with that. They will ask employees what they think only to do what they want anyway.

"Bilingual Outpatient Therapist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Commerce, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Commerce, CA

I have been working at Penny Lane full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Team
    Average benefits
    Flexible
    People here are genuinely comitted to helping, and are very supportive
    To be honest, they are the best group of co-workers I have ever had. In Commerce, self-expression is allowed, encouraged, etc... it may bot get you anywhere- but you can express yourself when needed.

Cons

Overworked
    Underpaid for education and experience level
    Unjust "overtime" compensation
    On call 24/7
    Constant changes
    High expectations
    Men tend to be hired if they apply- even if not bilingual for bilingual positions...

Advice to Management

Increase wages to reflect education level, and treat employees like they are valuable rather than expendable. Pay a living wage, and reward good therapeutic practices- not poor boundaries and work-a-holics.
    Advancing is nearly impossible.