Penny Lane Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ivelise Markovits

1. "A great company that does great work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Hills, CA

I have been working at Penny Lane full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They have many different programs that work to help children and families. Pay is good, during the five years I have worked here, they have given raises and bonuses most of those years. Good benefits. They offer lots of training opportunities. The company continues to grow by adding new programs, so there is opportunity to move to different departments and for advancement in the company.

Cons

Sometimes it can be hard to find parking in the North Hills location.

2. "Great staff, but disconnected, cliquish and biased upper management."

Former Employee - Residential Therapist in North Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Residential Therapist in North Hills, CA

I worked at Penny Lane full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The staff are supportive, passionate and well trained. They truly care about supporting each other and providing excellent care to the kids that stay there. Incentive money is available for exceeding productivity minimums. Dept managers are supportive, available around the clock and provide great supervision.

Cons

Upper management definitely has favorites and there is nepotism among the executive team. While they provide town hall meetings for employees, they are reluctant to answer direct questions and often make vague promises. They are disconnected from the staff that work with the kids... for example, they designed cubicle working space for therapists, social workers, other staff without considering the needs of a functional workspace. They are cramped, some have limited leg space due to shelving placed under the work top, and the chairs bump into the walls of the cubicle of staff moves 6 inches either way. When approached by numerous staff to ask about different accommodations or removal of shelves, staff were told it was too expensive and they could work at a coffee shop. This is only one example, but demonstrates a lack of caring about employee retention, satisfaction and safety.

Advice to Management

It would be helpful if you would spend time outside of your offices, spend time with the employees first hand, and truly observe what's happening in the working environment you've created. It's a beautiful environment, but not functional. It would also be helpful provide answers to staff questions and follow up about where you are with finding answers. Middle managers do a terrific job of this. Upper/executive managers not so much.

"Not a good place to move forward"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Hills, CA

I worked at Penny Lane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Occasional bonuses (see cons for why this isn't as great as it seems....)
    - Generally pretty friendly staff

Cons

This company is mismanaged from top to bottom. Support staff is often overlooked and under appreciated. Managers in all departments (except a couple) think they are the only department that matters and this gives them a very false sense of entitlement and this comes from the very top. Often times it feels that there are more meetings about how to help the clients than actual work helping the clients.

Money tends to be mismanaged like it's nobody's business - spending tens/hundreds of thousands on irrelevant things that do not really help the company move forward and don't help provide better support for the clients who are in need.

Pay was a joke and knowledge was irrelevant. The semi-regular bonuses that my department received did nothing but boost me to a level that brought me in line with what I should've been making with my experience and skill set. Received my annual COL raise 6 months late, and it was presented to me as a favor and as a reward for a job well done, when it was less than $1 an hour. Other members of my team with less experience/less knowledge were making significantly more simply because they were the bosses favorites. On a regular basis, I was expected to work overtime without additional pay, and often times was paid when I was not in the office (sick), and that was used as the reason for me working on a Saturday without pay.

As a whole, Penny Lane was one of the most unprofessional businesses I have ever worked at. There were 9 staff in my new hire training course when I started, and within 3 months, myself and 1 other remained. Now there are none of us, and this is a fairly regular occurrence. Every two weeks, at least 4-6 new employees were on-boarded, and 3-4 left the company. Knowledge and work ethic mean nothing - they look for people to fill seats. When when given ample proof of the inability for staff to complete the job they were hired for, no write ups occur and there is 0 repercussions for not knowing how to do your job.

Advice to Management

Don't treat your staff like they are expendable. Appreciate who you have, and pay a living wage to the staff that keep the company's head just barely above water. The mantra of "we're here to help the children" is a facade - if you're going to preach that, practice that. If staff isn't completing the work they were hired to do, let them go. If staff have proved that they are capable and regularly go above and beyond the job description, reward them for that and make them feel like the company actually cares about them.

5. "Feels like home!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, CA

I have been working at Penny Lane full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been working here for over 5 years and since my first interview, I felt like I was at home. There is so much great supervision and support at the Lancaster office, but you can also feel the passion that The CEO and executive team have for this company and for helping the community. The staff are pleasant to work with and the location differential is very appreciated. You get great experience here while collecting your hours. I also have had the privilege of getting a lot of training that has made me a better professional and a better person.

Cons

Let's face it, community mental health is a rough field, but I know that the supervisory team in Lancaster works hard to keep morale high to help ease the ups and downs of this field. I can't think of any cons of this company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, it's nice to feel support from upper management and executive team.

6. "Penny Lane"

Current Employee - Administrative in North Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative in North Hills, CA

Pros

Awesome place to work. I've never worked somewhere that cared so much about clients and their employees

Cons

Its a big company now and sometimes that offends some people who feel it needs to be more "family" "small company"

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!!

"Hit and Miss"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Penny Lane full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary is higher than some of the other agencies, if you are a therapist the schedule is flexible. Benefits are fair. Co-workers are pretty great and you will advance if you are willing to put in the work for it.

Cons

They will work you very hard so you will earn every penny they pay you and then some. Management cares about management the rest end up having to deal with that. They will ask employees what they think only to do what they want anyway.

"Bilingual Outpatient Therapist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Commerce, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Commerce, CA

I have been working at Penny Lane full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Team
    Average benefits
    Flexible
    People here are genuinely comitted to helping, and are very supportive
    To be honest, they are the best group of co-workers I have ever had. In Commerce, self-expression is allowed, encouraged, etc... it may bot get you anywhere- but you can express yourself when needed.

Cons

Overworked
    Underpaid for education and experience level
    Unjust "overtime" compensation
    On call 24/7
    Constant changes
    High expectations
    Men tend to be hired if they apply- even if not bilingual for bilingual positions...

Advice to Management

Increase wages to reflect education level, and treat employees like they are valuable rather than expendable. Pay a living wage, and reward good therapeutic practices- not poor boundaries and work-a-holics.
    Advancing is nearly impossible.

"Stay far, far away!"

Former Employee - Outpatient Therapist in Lancaster, CA
    Former Employee - Outpatient Therapist in Lancaster, CA

Pros

-Location stipend (at Antelope Valley location only)
    -Individual office (at the Lancaster location with the exception of the MAT assessors)
    -friendly/supportive coworkers
    -A few supervisors are willing to put the needs of clients ahead of revenue when needed
    -EBP trainings are available (although the company began to limit trainings during my tenure)

Cons

The Cons outweigh the Pros by a wide margin. There are several aspects of the agency that work really well (mostly at the corporate office) however, the Antelope Valley location seems to operate on a different planet as the rest of the agency. Most agencies have billing requirements and provide encouragement for staff to meet expectations. This agency is punitive and employs expectations that are not possible to meet (i.e. upon starting, a new-hire receives 2 large binders filled with information, must read through over 30 regulations that could lead to the equivalent of a write-up). It appears that Client care doesn't even get the backseat (the trunk is probably most accurate) where a therapist will be expected to constantly shift clients' billing plan (which creates additional paperwork) even if the client does not meet the criteria. The morale is pretty low; In the 6 months I was there, I noticed at least 7 therapists get hired and either resign or transfer to a different location. If you happen to be looking for opportunities to advance your career, the Lancaster location is not the place. In interviews, I was told there were "plenty" of opportunities for advancement however, after being hired and discussing this with my supervisor, I was informed that it was not likely that a promotion would happen within a year and highly unlikely to become a clinical supervisor (even if you meet qualifications). Lastly (and probably most importantly), upper-management (including clinical supervisors) have "favorites." If you happen to be a favorite, the job seems to be less intense. If you do not happen to be a favorite (or fit into what the identify as a "family" environment), upper management applies an exorbitant amount pressure and become quick to create a paper trail that could eventually lead to being fired. Overall, there are no real benefits to working for the company. As previously mentioned, the cons significantly outweigh the pros. Even if you are just out of school, it would be more worth your time to find an agency (or practice) that practice good values and set realistic expectations (there are definitely a few out there!).

Advice to Management

It would be nice if the Lancaster location adopted the wonderful foundational principles that the company was founded on. While several members of the corporate team embody the company's mission, from my observation, this failed to extend to the Lancaster location.

10. "Non Profit Organization"

Former Employee - Clinical Support Specialist in Palmdale, CA
    Former Employee - Clinical Support Specialist in Palmdale, CA

I worked at Penny Lane (Less than a year)

Pros

Penny Lane is family oriented. They train you in the position that they hired you for.

Cons

I do not have a con at the moment

11. "Wraparound Parent Partner"

Former Employee - Parent Partner in North Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Parent Partner in North Hills, CA

Pros

I enjoy working with my clients and getting to know them.

Cons

I always felt rushed out of the clients sessions to go back to do more and more paper work.

Advice to Management

To say what they mean about open door policy and STOP HAVING FAVORITES