Penny Mustard Furnishings Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Arvid Huth

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Overall Great Place to Work"

Pros

Learning about furniture construction, work as a team, educated customers instead of being a pushy salesperson, 4 day work week.

Cons

100 percent commission, long days, no janitorial staff so all cleaning dusting and vacuuming is done by sales staff.

Advice to Management

listen to the sales staff, as they are on the floor, interacting with customer s every day, so they know what customers want.

2. "Sales associate"

I worked at Penny Mustard Furnishings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Selling american made furniture with a great warranty. Would never do wrong by the customers. If a customer had an issue, they would handle it right away. Superb quality wood furniture that last generations.

Cons

Most managers dont have any experience with product or manufacturers. Doesn't anyone get promoted there? Why hire managers from outside the company? Micromanagement is everywhere, don't you trust the outside mgmt. you just hired?
    Everything is controlled, down to what radio station is played. PTO is charged at 1.5x per hour on wkends? Wonder if anyone else is effected by that? Or is it only the sales staff getting robbed? Have to work over a month to earn enough PTO to take a single Saturday off. Should I keep going?

Advice to Management

Actually spend time at the stores not just a few minutes and take off, spend a couple of days to actually see how little the managers know. People love your dumb radio skits, how about actually promoting the business and target qualified shoppers. I know it will cut down your time pretending to be funny.
    Stop allowing all the smokers to make messes everywhere, they all smell bad anyway.
    No smoking allowed....

"Love my job!"

Current Employee - Sales in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Sales in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Penny Mustard Furnishings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's easy selling quality furniture that I can stand behind and know won't fall apart. I make good money and have met some wonderful people along the way. I've formed great relationships with my coworkers, my bosses, and my customers over the years and whom I consider friends.

Cons

Weekdays can be long- but having 3 days off every week is well worth it.

Advice to Management

Hire wisely. The current management team is the best, but I've seen some doozies over the years. If you read a horrible review on here, there's a good chance it could be a bitter ex manager.

4. "Furniture sales consultant"

Current Employee - Furniture Sales Consultant in Menomonee Falls, WI
    Current Employee - Furniture Sales Consultant in Menomonee Falls, WI

I have been working at Penny Mustard Furnishings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

4 day work week, Coworkers, Store manager, Vacation pay, cheap health insurance

Cons

Must work weekends and holidays

Advice to Management

More flexibility in allowing time off

5. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Midwest, WY
    Former Employee - Sales in Midwest, WY

I worked at Penny Mustard Furnishings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The commissions are average. The furniture is very nice. The work week is four long days. (better than most retail places)

Cons

Every year it's one more thing management changes that is not to the benefit of the employee. There is constant turnover.

Advice to Management

The owners should step back in and take a bigger role in running the company.

6. "Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at Penny Mustard Furnishings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

4 day work week some coworkers are good people

Cons

Low pay, work weekends and unlike other stores you cannot take off weekends anymore, upper management is never around and are rude when they do bless you with their presence, benefits are awful and expensive, general manager loves to gossip and talk negatively about her employees to her employees at other stores.

Advice to Management

Ben and Arvid step back in

"It doesn't feel like work when you love what your doing"

I have been working at Penny Mustard Furnishings full-time

Pros

* It's the fairest place I have worked
    * Management takes the time to explain why things are the way they are
    * I get to help people design their homes
    * It's the best compensation plan I have worked under
    * The leadership team is eager to help you grow
    * 4 day work week is the best
    * The product is second to none so it's fun to see customers get so excited about it

Cons

* Because it's a 4 day work week, the week day hours are sometimes long
    * It's tough not having weekends off but at least we are able to request off for special occassions

"Miserable Management and a company that could care less."

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Greendale, WI
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Greendale, WI

I worked at Penny Mustard Furnishings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

pay is astounding for a delivery driver.

Cons

There aren't safety precautions in place for lifting the heavy furniture, no daily checks on their delivery trucks before or after shift. Routes are not in your control so you could be driving from middle of nowhere to downtown Chicago, then back to the same city in the middle of nowhere. Management could care less how long your days are, your day ends when you are done with all your deliveries which could be over 15 hour days. Straight from the owner's mouth, "Everyone is replaceable" to give you a good feel for what kind of leaders you will be working for. Customer service will tell the delivery drivers to lie and hide blemishes or damages on the furniture from the customers upon delivery, and hope the customer doesn't notice, and if the customer does notice the first person that feels the effects are the delivery drivers because they do not get paid hourly they get paid on a stop basis, and the entire stop will be deducted from your pay even if the problem was known before the piece even leaving the warehouse.

Advice to Management

listen to the delivery drivers advice on how to make routes better and hold the right people accountable for checking furniture over before sending it to customers and then taking pay away from the hard workers, who are the last face the customers see from the company.

"A job, just a job."

I have been working at Penny Mustard Furnishings full-time

Pros

Not overworked. Most of the time as a salesperson you work a 4 day work week. You get a small discount if you want to buy something.

Cons

1. All pay has been lowered over the last few years.
    2. Medical insurance has been taken away. They now just give you $150 per month that you can pay towards your own private insurance.
    3.The only benefit is a 401K. Everything else has been taken away.
    4. Salespeople not in management earn $25,000-$45,000.
    5. High turnover of salespeople. You are always helping train the next salesperson, who will probably quit or be fired.

Advice to Management

Share. Your sales are up, but you're not helping the employees by taking away normal employee benefits and commissions.

"Good Company to work for"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Penny Mustard Furnishings full-time

Pros

Family atmosphere, positive workplace, open to advancement, good pay for industry, very strong company financially. Middle management is easy to talk to and works to help support you. Very detailed training and ongoing updates to industry practices.

Cons

Limited by size of company to offer benefits, closed minded to suggestions offered, divide between sales and office employees

Advice to Management

Expand customer service, expand benefits, develop more incentives for top performers, and take away punishments from office staff towards the sales staff.